• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

PLEASE HELP Need a Ford Technicians Advice

sledhead

Question

sledhead hear, Now I can fix just about and sled or atv, but I hate workin on trucks. Got a 02 F-150, And my problem is The starter soleniod would just click after about 25 turns of the key would start right up. Just started this 2 days ago. I've checked to see if there are any corroaded wires on the soleniod or broken no problems there. checked the battery connections and good and tight, Now there is a fuseable link running from the positive side of the bat to a soleniod on the firewall Could this be the problem I opened up the plastic cover and moved the wires and she fired right up first try. Now the other thing it what does that run. Now she'd not running on all 8 today, X-mas eve lovely. Runs smooth above 2500 rpms but below vibrates and dropping a cyclinder, could I have a bad coil pack to? surging Idle and such. So could tis fuseable link be causing the problem for everything? I ready to take this truck for a long drive off a short cliff and get ride of it. It's suppose to back to the dealer in march and I don't want to spend money on it. any advice would be helpful thanks ahead of time

sledhead cool.gif

8 answers to this question

Ive have a chev pick up to the darn heater don't work in that one BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! cool.gif

I had a '97 F150, bought it new. I put 140,000 on it before I sold it. I did have starter trouble but I can't remember for sure what it would do, click or just plain not engage. Anyway, I would pull the starter off, flush it with some type of solution on the gears, put it back in and it would work great. Wish I could remember what it would do for sure. I had a manual trans. in the truck.

I too had missing problems but that was because I didn't change my spark plugs until 120,000. I was told to change wires at the same time, didn't do it, learned another lesson, DO IT if you are that deep into it. I will NEVER change plugs on those engines again, pay to have it done!

Good luck,

Mike

Well without looking at everything you have mentioned I believe you are having problems with your ignition control solenoid. But now as for it dropping a cylinder that may also be a computer telling you that your going to end up blowing about 500.00 dollars on her soon. BUT now in the box that has the fuse link going to it is there any signs of loose wires in there. You said it started right up after you played with those wires. But also did you regain your cylinder while doing that also? You and I need to get together I was a Auto mechanic for years and still tinker here and there, but lately I got onto this kick of working on sleds and well we won't go there. Still looking for someone to go and raise my storms suspension. Got the Polaris manuel looked at all the parts to it and well it still waits for me to take it in. Last owner raced it and had it set for hard pack or ice and I get wet from the tow in the skis trail riding..lol

But please get back to me with the answers to my questions. I maybe able to help more once I have the answers...Glenn

I just got to thinkin This thing didn't start runnin bad until after I had just filled the tank. I wonder if Maybe I filled it will Water instead of fuel. Because It ran fine even with the starter problem. But not until I got gas. Going to pull the fuel filter and get a new one may bring the sucker pump home on Tues and suck out some fuel and check for water. confused.gif

Definatly not lookin to drop 500 big ones on this thing, I've only got three payments left and back to the dealer it goes, lease will be up.

HEy man, I used to own an '01 and I know quite a bit about these models. That being said if you don't figure out your problem, go to fordtruckworld.com They will give everything you might ever want to know.

A big thing with these symptoms you're talking about would be the coil pack for cylinder #8 (very common problem and I thinka recall even). The wires are in a real bad place and get corroded. Another thing to test would be the O2 sensors. I had a friend who lost both of his within weeks of eachother. If they are starting to fritz then they would exhibit similar symptoms.

Other than that there are things like the Idle Air sensor and Idle Air Controller (IAS and IAC) that seem to fail unexpectedly. I just diagnosed this on my bosses '02.

Are you throwing any check engine lights? Try disconnecting your negative battery cable for 10 mins or so and let your computer reset. Maybe there is just a glitch in the CPU.

Just a small hint for your miss, it takes 5 minutes.

Open hood and start your truck in a very, very dark area, and check for spark jumping with the wires. You'll be surprised of the "light works" you'll see. Be careful not to stick your hands in area you shuldn't, since is dark....

This might give you an idea if you have a bad wire or boot.

Well decided to try to get the ol f-150 to run tonight. First thing was diconnected the battery and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. reconnected it and wouldn't ya know it fired right up and ran fine. took it for a short ride and it seems all is well going to take it for a longer ride to mmarrow and see what happens. Fingers crossed! lol

Thanks much for the suggestions.

sledhead cool.gif