• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Curious how the ice is on Birch Lake near Babbitt. Have fished it in the summer only and would like to try ice fishing. Safe? Current? Areas to watch out for?

Thanks..........Greg C.

Greg,

There is at least 8 inches of ice where my fish house is in Kremer's Bay. There is ALOT of slush out there and also on all of the lakes I have been on lately. I haven't seen any signs of driving out there as of yet....Just be careful near Silver Rapids on the Ely end and stick to ice roads.

I am going fishing in your back yard this weekend for Crappies.

Take Care

Justin

Greg:

I'd use sleds and be careful. There are current areas the don't look currentish, if you know what I mean. Seems like someone always puts a sled through on Birch even into January and February. The bays and most other places will be fine, and we're making ice like crazy up here with temps in the -20 and -30 range this week at night, and highs only in the -0s or -teens. Even so, we've had a foot or so of snow so far, and like Justin said, there's slush in a lot of places because of that.

Thanks guys. Hey Justin, could you send me an e-mail to further discuss the lake. I'd appreciate it.

Also, I might be of some help for the crappie in my area. Thanks again. Greg C. (e-mail is "my last name at uslink dot net")