• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake???

mr. Pike.

Ice is only 1" thick and no fish smile.gif Just kidding.

Ice was 3" Saturday, 6" Monday, 7 1/2" this morning. Good clear solid ice. I expect 9-10" by tomorrow night. And I expect a few brave souls with small vehicles by Sunday. There were already a few brave souls parking on the shorline ice on Monday.

Fishing has been so-so for me. Monday was the only really good day that I had and I give the warm up weather and lack of people the credit on that one. But I consider any day on the ice a good day smile.gif So others might have called it a beer drinking night instead of a fishing night smile.gif

hey i was just wondering how to get to sand beach from 42 (coming from apple valley)? i've heard this is a good place for decent walleye action after dark. how about the crappies? was thinking about taking the girlfriend out icefishing for her first time on monday and want to get into some decent walleyes. any info would be appreciated

From Apple Valley go West on CR 42 through the big intersection at CR 13 with the Cub and Rainbow grocery stores. About a mile past that is an intersection with a stoplight at County Road 18 (Crest Avenue). Go left (south) on Crest avenue toward the lake and the entrance to sand point beach is on the left just before the road turns to the west (right).

I'll have my shack out sometime this weekend. See y'all out there soon.

I work down in Shakopee, and someone came in thursday saying the night before the got 7 nice walleye in 14' of water....whether this is creditable or not cant say. But any info helps sometimes.....

What road is the bait shop in prior lake of of? I thinkin about trying prior on wensday, anyone been catching anything by the beach?

MK bait is on highway thirteen, about 1.5 miles south of 42.

I am planning on fishing the lake on Tuesday, first time since I moved out here in may, do I hit the north side by sand point or head to the south side of the lake off the other boat landing? Last winter when my wife and I were looking for a house out here, there were a lot of ice houses over that 45 foot hole in the "upper lake" portion of prior lake. some general help would be great, specific help would be outstanding......do the crappies hit minnows or waxies more in the early part of the year?

If you're out tuesday and see a couple misfits in a cabelas build your own black shelter, look out, I doubt we'll have fish

picksbig -

I have never been to "upper". I was doing so-so out in lower until this weekend when the crowd built up. with the crowd/activity/noise over the sandpoint hole, the bite slowed tremendously and the fish that did appear were pretty finicky. Im already considering moving the permanent to a different part of the lake.

Right now if I was going strictly after crappies I would rank the bait as 1. eurolarvae (maggots) 2. waxies 3. small small crappie minnows. As far as jig, I tried a plain #14 hook with the maggots and let it float down to the fish. That seemed to do better than a #12 glow demon tipped with maggots. But that was just last night. Before that, the Glow demon was working fine.

the bite didn't really happen last night, but it did pick up slightly about an hour after the last portables packed up and the lake became quite (after 10 PM) I expect this to be the norm until the ice is covered with snow which looks like might be the case after the new year.

hey bigwagon, all i fish is the upper lake, i'll also be out on tuesday nite but i never seem to catch all that many crappies on this end of the lake. if your lookin for a little how-to you are welcome to stop on by! you can email me for more info. [email protected] later Dogg

Thanks for the help guys, but day care called in with her own kids being sick so I will be at home on Tuesday, and I might be out wednesday during the middle of the day, hitting and missing since it is supposed to be pretty nice out, judging by the posts, it looks like the night bite is the key to this lake, would I seriously upset people if I showed up at about 8:30 and started drilling holes on a friday night? I will be emailing you Dogg, I am looking forward to getting started fishing again now that I am close to a lake

If you drilled right next to my shack I would be upset But nothing an offer of some brewskies wouldn't cure smile.gif

Usually enough traffic in the crowded areas that there should be some un attended holes left from previous anglers. At least that is what I do for settin up my tip up after 8 PM, I just use one of the 20+ holes that were drilled around my permanent by anglers in portables that left.

Going to be heading over to Prior this afternoon with my nephew who's up from Texas. We'll be pulling a clam around looking for whatever will bite. Going out of sand point or whatever it is called so we may bump into some of you out there. Later.

i've been doing well an 1 1/2 befor sunset until about an hour after sunset. been gettin some real nice perch to(11") i havn't had any thing but walleye and perch! i must be fishing in the right place. i've used shinners, minnows, and euros. all three have produced fish, i hope this helps. later Dogg

tuesday was the first time I picked up an eye before sunset. I had about 45 minutes of action. and then a few stragglers throughout the night. Previously nothing happened until after 7PM. But then again, there was a real lack of activity/noise on top of the ice on tuesday as well so that could be part of it too.

Also the preference of bait has seemed to change. Before all the activity on top of the ice, it was a shiner preference. Now, crappie/fatheads minnows seem to be the preference.

I just moved my shack to a less disturbed area. Hopefully that will help.

Luckydogg - has the bait preference changed for you too??

I did see a few trucks driving out at sand point on Sunday. It didnt look like there was much more than a foot of ice, but it didnt seem to bother those who were driving out. I know I'll be driving out this weekend.

Quote:

Are people driving out on Prior....is it safe to?

Some are driving out. But carefull out there. I pushed my big shanty out on 9" of ice. Moved it yesterday AM and there was only 6" left under my house. It wasn't banked and I didn't keep the heat on. But with the number of houses being re-arranged out there, all I can say is caution as this was within one of shanty towns.

hey korn! the bait changes with the time of day. big when its light out, small when it gets dark. im on upper so that may make a little difference. we should trade houses for the night sometime, if you get board.

my shop is in hopkin, we should get together for one at mainstreets and swap stories. drop me a line if you got the time, later Dogg

there was a truck pullin out a trailer on tuesday nite! so there drivin. i had 11" of ice.

Dogg-

Mainstreet sounds like a great idea. I'd be up for switching houses for a night too, although my house is on someones shore in priors timbucktoo land right now smile.gif (thanks to the wind gods ) I didn't think my house would ever blow away as heavy as she is. Luckily I was there when it started to go and I was able to guide her to a beach and roll her up on it.

I can say one good thing about the water on the ice, made for a real easy time of searching for fish smile.gif

Did you take your house off?

i might go out tomorrow... err today hehe ive never fished it before and dont do a lot o ice fishing, but i have a agua view and GPS so im set, (i know, im spoiled hehe) and a map so any info regarding anything (times, lures, spots ect. would be gratefully appretiated, and as i said in my other thread, im going to Bald Eagle on sunday and am looking for any and all pointers available, my email is [email protected]

thanks and good fishing

hey korn, i'm free today for lunch, came in this morning instead of trying to fish in this wind. i'm havin a new trailer built for my house and it wont be done until the 5th, good thing with this weather. i've just been draggin out the portable. drop me an email and i'll check back befor i leave for the day. Happy New Year, Dogg [email protected]