• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Waconia Ice Report.... Its Growing Fast

InTowneGuy

Lane,

On Sat the Carver County Search and Rescue was out on Cemetary doing some kind of training. they had a big tent set up and they cut a big hole in the ice. That's what the big crowd was out there.

That reminds me, all you guys on Waconia, watch out for the area marked off on cemetary reef, It might not freeze over with the warm weather we are having. If you are going out there, check with In Towne, they can show you on the map where to avoid.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danny berg

• scalescratcher

• Chaska Fisherman

• Moose-Hunter

Danny, where ya at now? Near Pillsbury? Or elsewhere? I was out on Pills all day saturday... Caught quite a few sunnies and a decent amount of crappies. That was untill my cell phone fell in, then I was too upset to fish anymore. crazy.gif

I thought that was his house But I wasnt sure....Sat was slower for me and Sunday I went out on Reds reef on the west side to try someplace new. A few sunnies no crappies but one eye that may have been legal but no measuing tape to be had. Ohh well it was neat looking at all the boulders under the ice and seeing alot of cool structure. Hey Danny how has your boss been doing? Good to hear that you are getting some action. I might be trying different spots in the portable the next couple days to see if I can locate anything good....Does anyone know where I can by a new auger piece for my strikemaster auger? I busted the blade and tip off cutting through up on Reds Reef.

Let me know

Lane

Darrick,

Still out by Pillsbury.

Lane,

he was out with the kids on Sat and caught a few until the kids wanted to go home.

You can go to strikemaster online, or drive up to the factory in biglake.

Hey big dave i am thinking saturday we might venture over to waconia to check out the action. I think friday I am not sure what we are doing yet But saturday We will be on waconia. is there a bay to the left of the in town marina. I justy remember someon on here last winter saying crappies bite in that bay cant remember the name of the bay also. How is cemetery for crappies or sunnys. Thanks for your help big dave.

Brad Duenow

Hey big dave i am thinking saturday we might venture over to waconia to check out the action. I think friday I am not sure what we are doing yet But saturday We will be on waconia. is there a bay to the left of the in town marina. I justy remember someon on here last winter saying crappies bite in that bay cant remember the name of the bay also. How is cemetery for crappies or sunnys. Thanks for your help big dave.

Brad Duenow

Crappiefisherman,

Unlike years past, Cemetary has been pretty much a dead sea this year, Pillsbury is putting out some fish, most are around 8" but I have been getting a few at 9 and even one at 11 1/4", but most of them are the throw back size. I haven't heard about Waconia Bay in a few weeks, that is the bay by In Towne Marina you were asking about. I heard that the Sunnies were biting by Harms Point, didn't get any size info. Just stop in at the Marina and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Danny Berg thank you for your reply. I stopped in the in town last year when we went one saturday and they said just go straight out of the marina it was a dead sea all day long. I dont know who it was that told me where to go but I was disappointed.Danny iment you had to fo to the left and around some point I think I will have to look at the map if I can find it. where id kegs.

Crappiefisherman,

I know a guy who has a house out in waconia bay and he is not catching anything anymore. I think they do the best there early in the ice season and it drops off sharply after all the houses move in. Actually the only time I like to fish the bay is when all the houses leave again.

Kegs is just on the other side of the island, I havn't heard any first hand info there.

I think if I were you I would start out by pillsbury. We have been having pretty decent luck out there.

Dave

Are any of you guys going to be out there on Friday? If so, it would be fun to meet a few of you. I'll be out by pillsbury with my 4yr old probably. Driving a dark blue 2004 dodge quad cab.

Dave

Big Dave2 or any other FM'ers

I am planning on bringing the wife and kids out Saturday afternoon just to the south of Pillsbury. We will be in a Black 4x8 Mankato with a Silver Silverado parked nearby. Probably be a boner black dog running around too! We were there about 2 weeks ago and the kids had a blast catching decent sunnies and smaller perch. We left just around 5:30 when the crappies should have been moving in. Stop over if any one is going to be out there - It's always Cool to meet fellow FM'ers whenever you get the chance!!

Big dave and feet Down I will be on waconia on friday after work which will be 2:30 pm Does that work for anyone. I will be by myself on friday and i will have my 7 year old boy on saturday. how early on saturday can a guy show up and have some action. Shall we have some kind of party or what just kidding. I will find my way to pilbury I will be driving a blue 4 door blazer. Till we meet again take it easy.

Brad Duenow

Is there alot of standing water on waconia besides the landing?Im looking to go out on saturday I have a suitcase style portable that is level with the ground is it ok out there?or will I be in 1 foot of water?

thanks

I am going to go out tonight after work and check out the situation, I may pull the house off the holes just to be safe. I will report tomorrow what I find out tonight. I am hoping I don't have to jack the darn thing up and pull it.

CrappieFisherMan,

I can't make it on Friday but am on for Saturday probably around 1:00. Hopefully it won't be too sloppy out there but what can you do. See you then!!

the ice is fine you dont have to worry about it the only real wet spots are by the access just from the salt coming off tires from the roads its fine otherwise

I went out last night and the ice is fine the main road just out from the Marina is pretty sloppy, but nothing to worry about. There is one spot marked with a tree, just avoid that and you will be ok. Drove out to Pillsbury and checked the house everything is fine The holes were open, but I have enough snow and ice packed around the buckets. Went out to North to check the boss's house and another co-workers (only cause they are in Cancun) and no problems there. There is still lots of snow on the ice and it gets cold enough over night to refreeze.

M-H,

Your Little Green House looked ok from the road, it wasn't floating or anything.

REMEMBER THOUGH NO ICE IS SAFE.

Hay Feetdown, good luck on Saturday. If all goes well with some projects, (and some sweet talking), I may run down to Waconia. That's a big IF, though, no guarantees.

Dang, if it's not work, it's projects. frown.gif

Good luck!

You may have some luck away from the crowds on the weedlines in Wageners bay. Same on the north end by stone and north reefs on the weedlines. Check with In-towne marina for the latest.

Good luck !

hey guys Me and my son went out on saturday to pillsbury but i think we went to far to the west. i was by one of the intown marinas houses number 4 to be exact. I thought I overheard someone say we were right inbetween wagners and pilsbury. we got fish I mean my son outfished me again. We had a problem with the sunnies being so darn finniky is this the case all the time. What color is everyone using. how far off of the bottom does everyone usally fish. it seemed like I was always changing the depth. Is this normal Or am i doing something wrong. Sorry i did not meet up with anyone on saturday. I was looking for you feet but like I said I think I was too far west. Next weekend same place lets get together and have afamily outing.

Brad Duenow

roads are good on the ice only about 3-5 inches of standing water at certin spots mostly the plowed roads everyone drives on other than that the ice is about 27 inches thick fished there saturday if you have a portable dont forget your ice anchors! holy wind

Hey Crappiefisherman,

You are right by us, the fish are in 18-25' moving up and down. 20-25' for sunnies, Crappies are at 15-18'. Some good perch too!

hey carverfshrmn

were you out there saturday or where is your house. We will be back out there next saturday. I have to downsize the bobbers and figure something out with the bobbers stops. my sons kept moving on him. ya we will be out there next saturday. So what you are saying is you can catch crapies during the day also. Are all the fish that small or did we just have a bad school of fish on saturday. I sure would like to get a aqua veiw and see all those fish swimming around. Till next time take it easy and see someone on the ice.

Hey Crappieferman,

I was in the house, about every 6th fish was a keeper, crappies came and went during the day, bit best around 5pm.

will be out next week also.

Crappiefisherman,

I am in a grey house, white toyota truck. Bout 100ft from # 4 house.

Moved to a new location Sat morning, then went home to load my truck up with snow to bank the house. That wind was unbelievable.

Prefished a spot on Friday night and the crappies were hungry, five of us took home about 40 crappies, Sat night was much slower,3 of us only had 10 keepers. I am sure the wind had someting to do with it. Won't be back out for a couple of weeks, heading up to Leech for the Poutfest this coming weekend.

Crappiefisherman,

I was looking for you on Saturday but couldn't track you down. What time were you out there? I ended up fishing a little bit south of a group of guys who were doing more drinking than fishing. Can't say I cared for their music selection!! Oh well, what can you do? We caught quite a few sunnies and perch, although they were on the smaller side. Ended up keeping enough for a meal (fresh fish tonight!) by doing a lot of sorting. We only caught 3 crappies - Nice size but didn't really even see many down there - I wonder if they come in a little later or what?? I did have my AquaView with and it was pretty cool watching all the fish down there. Your son would get a kick out of watching that! Next Saturday is looking pretty good for us, but I won't know for sure until later this week.