• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Waconia Ice Report.... Its Growing Fast

InTowneGuy

Well I got out around 4:15 and through the rattle wheel down and line....put the aqua vu down and saw a few small eyes looking at the bait. The bite was so incredibly soft that if i wasnt watching it I would not have noticed it. Brought 5 through the ice and biggest was 15 3/4. Was dead until about 6:30 and then I think crappies were down there coming through suspended but could not entice them into biting. Going to head out early in the morning to try the morning bite. I will keep you all posted

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danny berg

• scalescratcher

• Chaska Fisherman

• Moose-Hunter

Hey Danny....

Thanks for the Congrats... It was an honor to even be thought of for the position. I've been around these parts for quite some time. Under two different names. The whole F.M. family and I have shared quite a bit. And now the fine folks at this site have given me the opportuntity to give a liitle back.

Thanks guys!!! I won't let you down!!

AS for Waconia.... I may try the A.M. bite tomorrow. If not, I guess it's another sundowner for Moose-Hunter... I'll be out there.... Stop by the Lil' Green House if you get a chance... Ya can't miss it... Just look for my sign.. grin.gif See ya on the ice...

M-H,

I am moving my house to Cemetary this afternoon,, just cause I need to be in a new location. I'll give you a call later on this evening,

Chaska Fisherman,

You still on Cemetary, I have he gray 8x10 with the big TV antenna. Maybe I'll see you tonight or this weekend.

Danny

Hi Chaska,

How deep are you seeing these fish. I've only been out a couple of times with limited success. Going out on 1/8 to try some different spots in a bit deeper water. Been near the weed lines in 14-16' so far.

when i feel like catching nothing i just go out to any of the reefs, when i want to catch i fish i fish shoreside of the houses on waconia bay. The rest of the lake is a dead sea, i have only had one good day for walleyes and that was sunday at sundown. I am going to hit it hard this weekend i will post results.

Well guys, it is now noon. I am about to leave work to go move the house. Hope to see some of you out there this weekend Good luck fishing..

Scalescratcher: I am fishing in 19' and was out this morning with the aqua vu down and saw some eyes but could not get them to go for anything. Saw a muskie around 10:00 and that was it. I didnt even see many perch after sunup. I supposed I will be back out there this weekend. Danny IO will look for you out there. Just a sidenote: There were 3 or 4 houses hauled off the reef last night and moved elsewhere on the lake so I do not know if they know something I do not.

FIsh on everyone!!!

Thanks for the input. I've been working the weedlines west of Cemetary. I've also had a Musky in the area both times which is great to see but not what I'm after. I'll be out 1/8 late morning to do some scouting now that it looks like I won't have to worry about 30+mph winds and lightning! I'll see if I can find you guys on the reef and say hi.

Well Friday night was a slow slow slow night for us and Sat morning was a dead zone as well. Sat afternoon around sundown I picked up 2 eyes 15"+ and 12". I am possibly goignto move the house arouned a little and see if I can entice anything more to come around. It was nice meeting you Danny and look forward to meeting more of you guys out on the ice

Lane

Lane,

I honestly think that we ran into a bad case of the "bear-walks" Curt has sure given that house some bad luck! I feel as if we should move the house over towards the coordinates that we discussed earlier. You going out today?

Yes I think I am going to head out and move the house a little...I will let you know.

Fish On

So how did you all do this weekend?

Personally, I didn't put in as much fishing time as I would have liked... BUT... I met a bunch of great folks out on the ice. Danny... It was a pleasure finally meeting you! I hope your house move was productive. I looked for a couple other FM regulars without success. Sorry. I tried!!

I met a couple of "ice rookie" fathers out on the ice for the first time with their young sons. They were out looking for abandoned holes to fish from. They had portables, but no auger. I brought them over to one of my "secret" panfish haunts. wink.gif While the dad's set up the portables, I bored a few holes for them... Before I left, one of the little ones, runs out of the portable with a 6" sunny hanging from his new snoopy pole. Grinning from ear to ear!!

Folks.... THAT is what it's all about. The expression on that little boy's face was priceless!!! Made my whole weekend!!! my own fishing was only a bonus...

The lake was a bit stingy for me this weekend. I'm going to guess it had something to do with the amount of traffic on the ice. I didn't go hungry, but it was rather slow...

Moosehunter, I was out for most of the day Saturday with a few buddies. We started out on the north side of the island, mostly looking for a tip up to go, but nothing. As the night bite was about to hit, we decided to move back into the bay. In my portable, we caught a ton of sunnies prior to dark, after dusk, we caught quite a few crappies. My other buddies, 15' away from us only caught 3 fish. Kinda odd.

Thanks for the post MH. I also had the pleasure of finally meeting Danny as well. Well to start off. Friday morning didnt see anything at all on the cam. Friday afternoon skunked again. Sat morning didnt see anything but sat afternoon I caught a 15" and 12" eye before sundown. Today I moved the house to the south side of the reef to try a little different approach. Alot of traffic and people out on cemetary with quite a few more houses locating out there. I will keep you posted as how things go over the next couple days. By the way... Many thanks to the guys at In Towne Marine. You guys are the best. Well enough gabbing. Fish on everyone

all i got this weekend was 2 sunnies, and a walleye at sundown, perch would just look/no bite. Gonna move the shack off of cemetary.

I acutally just off of cemetary to the east, green perm. probally going to move it to tonka tonight for a week or so.

ChaskaFisherman, and Moose-Hunter,

Was good meeting you guys this past weekend. The house got moved to the new spot and only broke the one bottle of booze!!!!

Friday night was a bust, we caught one crappie, but we weren't trying very hard,it was more of a social gathering than a fishing event...

Sat evening was a little better, Iced 8 eyes between 13 and 15 1/2" Lost 5 more at the hole. I have been fishing Waconia for 5 years now and the legal sized walleye has eluded me, too bad you didn't feel my heart when that 15 1/2" came thru the hole ...LOL...

Won't be out until Sat afternoon this week.

Lane,

Did you move to the spot you pointed out on the map to me?

I was out Firday afternoon and evening and caught a few Crappies and had the same luck yesterday. There's tons of Crappies down there (I can see 'em on the camera) but they sure aren't in a very biting mood.

At one point yesterday I had a school of Crappies come through that was incredible. It was like a herd of bison or lemmings or something. It lasted for a couple minutes and there were hundreds of them...all headed in the same direction. It was like the cartoons you see of animals fleeing a wildfire (only they were just crusing along, not in any hurry but definately going somewhere). Of course, no one was with me to see the incredible site. For a couple of minutes, everywhere I panned the camera, there were Crappies all moving in the same direction. Just as suddenly as they showed up, it stopped and the lake bottom went back to normal; lots of sunnies and crappies about but no numbers moving in concert. It was incredible and a sight I'll not soon forget. shocked.gif

so how much worse is the bite going to get with all this DEEP freeze moving in, it can't get any slower can it?!?!

Hey danny, Are you going to show me how to catch walleyes through the ice now that you're on a walleye spot? cool.gif

Sure no problem, this weekend is out, we are having a little get together with a bunch of guys from a duck hunting

website on Waconia Sat afternoon and evening. but the following weekend I am open. I'll give you a shout some time next week.

I was out from 3pm til 3am on Saturday. Got 5 eyes none bigger than 14" and a 3 crappies between 9-10". Had a number of other lookers that wouldn't hit. Nothing to write home about. Stayed along the weedlines west of Cemetary. Didn't see the local musky this week and seemed to see more fish but still slower than I'd like. No real pattern for movement. Caught fish from just after dark thru about 2:30. Wouldn't see anything and then all of a sudden there'd be activity then blank again. Fished in 16' right on the weed edge. Going to have to consider a move depending on just how cold it gets. Scouting gets tough when those holes freeze back up almost as soon as you open them! M-H, great story about the kids! Great to hear that guys like you are still around!! Hope to run into you one day.

Scalescratcher

You have a house on Cemetary? You aren't the green house with the satellite dish are you? I have the gray house with the TV antenna. I was out Sat until 11 pm or so. I spent the night Fri and just couldn't bring myself to spend another night on that not so soft bench.

Hey guys...Thought I would chime in with the report from Sun night and tonight....Sunday night not a darn thing I moved to 23', I was marking alot of fisdh on the vex and I assume alot of them were crappies but nothing could trigger the bite. Tonight I was out for a couple hours and had 3 eyes in a period of 30 minutes right at sundown and then would see some fish come through suspended but still no trigger of the bite. I am going to head out for an early morning bite and then take the wife to the airport for a few days so I may try to get out more..!!!! If anyone sees me out there please come over and say hello I am in the tan house on the south side of Cemetary I drive a green chevy crew cab

danny, i have the green house with white trim. The guy next to me has the orange house with the dish he is right to the east of me.

Howdy,

Moved to Center last week. About 14'

Few crappies and perch Saturday.

Went back out 7:00am Sunday.

Crappie, 2 eyes 13" and 14", a bunch of perch left before noon.

Well I was out this morning just before 7 and the big zilcho.... I only saw a couple fish come thorugh on the vex and fished until 9:00...going to readjust the house into a little shallower water I think.

Fish on

Hi Danny,

No perm for me! I'm the nut that fishes half the night out of my trusty Clam Jr. I was going to trek over to Cemetary on Sat but got a later start than expected. Since I wanted to do some scouting I just ran out of time. You Cemetary guys probably see me if you're heding out from In-Towne. I've been just west of Cemetary the last few Sats. If I decide to brave the cold this Sat I'll be trying a new area. My goal is to find some less traveled water. Are you guys fishing the south end of Cemetary?

my buddy and i are butting out his perm some time this week.I have never fished the lake but heard alot about it. I wanted to know some good spots for walleyes and crappies. I was thinking about butting it right off the island in 17 to 20 feet of water. I would also like to know were the reefs are like cemetary. thanks I need all the help i can get