• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Waconia Ice Report.... Its Growing Fast

InTowneGuy

Tuesday 12/21, Ben went out for a quick ice check and was pleasantly surprised. Out in front of the marina to Waconia Bay and north toward West Center Reef and east toward Cemetery Reef he found between 7 to 9 inches of ice. It has grown 5 inches in the past 5 days. We HAVE NOT checked behind the island to Kegs, Reds, North, or Anderson's. Since these areas all formed ice at the same time as the ones we checked, they are thickening as well. Since we can't check every inch of the lake, check ahead of yourself. I will post more as soon as I know.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danny berg

• scalescratcher

• Chaska Fisherman

• Moose-Hunter

Thanks for the report,

Maybe I'll get the big heavy monster out this weekend after all.

See ya later.....

Not sure on an Ice report but I know there are a ton of houses in front of the marina and many people are driving out there.

Ben checked ice as far as the north side of Kegs on Thurs. 12/23 and didn't find anything less than 10 inches. Now as of 12/25, we are in the range of 11 to 12 1/2 inches in areas we checked, which include Pillsbury, West Center, Center, Cemetery, Waconia Bay, Kegs, Under the Wires, East Side of Island. It is a very consistent layer of ice. Reports from anglers that went to parts of the lake we haven't checked, have said similar ice thicknesses. As always, we recommend checking ahead if you are going to an area that has had little or no traffic. Also, be aware of a crack that has formed just off the public access on the northeast side of the lake.

I was out on Harriet last night (6-7" of ice/no fish) and Waconia this morning (12"+ of ice/a dozen or so crappies). smile.gif I drove out on Waconia (1/2 ton pick-up), and lots of other people are driving all over the place...some good sized trucks pulling permenant houses. There appears to be plenty of ice. cool.gif

Went out on the 23rd. Got 1 15" eye and missed another. Had a few sniffers but they wouldn't go. Saw a nice musky on the camera which may have made the other fish in the area a little more spooky than normal. Hoping to be back out this weekend.

Moved the big heavy monster out Friday morning, sitting on 11.5 inches of ice, two nights of fishing and only 1 small crappie, lots of vehicle traffic. Sun morn moved the house in a little shallower on 12 inches of ice. Bite was a little better, but still lots of traffic. 5 perch, 7 crappies and one small walleye in 6 hours of fishing, Tons of sunnies on the camera but couldn't coax them to bite on Waxies, Gulp Maggots, or minnows. Will try again this coming weekend, hopefully by then the traffic will have slowed down.

Hey Danny what type of cam do you have? I have been thinking about getting one of those aqua vu scouts....any ideas on that?

I picked up an Atlantis 501 camera about a year ago, Nothing special about it, just wanted something to look at the bottom to see what some of the structures were on the locator, also to watch fish and see how they react to noise, different styles of jigging, and bigger fish in the area. Doesn't werk well at night, as a matter of fact I pull it up before sunset.

As far as the scout goes, I know nothing about them so I can't answer your question.

Oh yah, before I forget, as I was walking out to my house on Friday Afternoon, I picked up 6 D-cell batteries, 5 plastic pop bottles, 6 empty beer cans and a cardboard box. Please people, take your garbage with you.

Another thing, Somebody bought a shelter tag on the 23rd, I found it on the ice on the 24th and turned it in to Mases.

can you drive or walk out on the ice from mases or does it cost money?during the summer they charge to launch boats just wondered what they do during the winter

They do offer a season pass that I believe is $25. Otherwise there is a nominal daily fee. As usual, the folks at In-Towne do a fantastic job of supplying up to the minute reports of fishing and ice conditions and once required by the snow keep an excellent supply of plowed roads for access to some of the most productive areas of the lake.

So after our little tropical heatwave, and the re-freeze...

What happened to the ice? Any danger zones?

Everythig appears to be back to normal. I was out there yesterday (first community out from In-Towne) and so were many other people on the lake. Everyone seems to be driving out but I can't say for sure if there are any danger spots. Caught a few crappies and saw a few pike swim by.

Intownguy---I cant give you an accurate assesment of "the remote shack". Didnt have to pick threw them for the keepers but it was slow. I would imagine the front that came threw didnt help!!! see ya (aka carmon)

decent luck on waconia yesterday some walleyes and some perch, and them pesky sunfish. I wonder how bad the front turned off the fish cause it was kinda slow all weekend for me.

We were doing ok Saturday until the THUNDER and LIGHTENING????? But yes, i have seen it alot better..

Anyone out the past day or so? going to put big house out and want to know Ice depths around island to cemetary to kegs

plenty of ice to drive 12+ inches. Fishing has pretty much sucked so far fishing the weedlines off of nelsons and north reef. I haven't put any all nighters in yet but when you don't mark any fish and the rattle wheels are silent it is tough to stay past 8:00. Anyone else finding any eyes or crappies on the north side?.

jeff

I havent been to the north side yet, but it sounds like you are getting the same action as the east and southern side. slow.....i hope it picks up soon.

I was down at the In Towne yesterday and the report I was given is that the ice sheet is a fairly constant 12" to 14". The "bad" spots being the east tip/side of the island and a heave/crack in front of the east side public access.

Disclaimer: Ice changes constantly. No ice is 100% safe. Use this info at your own risk. Check at the marina for current ice conditions.

Kodiak...

I'll be out on the north side, or near there, this weekend. Stop by if you get a chance. If you need to know what to look for, drop me an email.

Well fishing tonight was incredibly slow....We are out on Cemetary on the west side and we had 1 small eye 8" and that is it. Fishing in 19' On tuesday night we had 3 small eyes between 14-15.5" but dropped off at about 8:30...Fish on everyone

Thanks for the report Chaska Fisherman, I have been wondering if the bite has picked up.

Moose hunter,

Congratulations, I just noticed you are now a Field Editor...

Danny

I am north of all the houses in Waconia Bay, near the wires. I am moving tomorrow afternoon, just haven't decided where I want to go. My luck this year has been pretty dismal, I have exhausted almost all of my GPS'd Crappie locations, with no fish in the freezer this year. But if I remember right ,last year was a little slow until a week or two after the snow fell. Still alot of food under the ice right now. I drilled a hole the other day and the weeds almost came up the hole.

got a couple perch and crappie last night in the shanty town in the bay. i was there for a hour and half or so. maybe the bite is coming back?