• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fish on ice... *DELETED* *DELETED*

I managed to get one big one that I put back on Fri. I've heard the rumors about the COs cracking down on leaving the pout on the ice up there. It's funny how the laws are enforced in certain areas. On Mille Lacs, it's not at all uncommon to see dozens frozen pout scattered on the ice in the popular spots. Never saw one as big as the one I caught last weekend on LOTW though!

We rented a house from Wigwam resort on Sat. and inside the house they have a printout from the DNR posted on the wall stating the myths of eelpout, the laws, and discouraging leaving them on the ice, as it is considered "wanton waste".

We caught a couple pout also that were pretty big and we let them go. I heard also that they are tasty deep fried..but then I also heard that you have to "butcher" or cut the back strap out of them right away. I just cant get myself to do it.. crazy.gif

I once heard a fishery biologist explain that removing a large pout from the lake just opened up a niche for several smaller ones to exist. So by throwing them on the ice, nothing is really being accomplished. I guess I'd rather have big ones in there that a larger number of smaller ones.

We have always put them outside on the ice to freeze solid then bring them home, thaw slightly to cut the back strap off then cook them up, their good eating, member of the cod family. I believe if you are not going to keep them then throw them back, always fun to tangle with a big pout.

Whats wrong with leaving a few pout on the ice for the eagle's and sea gull's when they first arrive before iceout? They would have slim pickens without them. By the time the ice thaws the pout have been eaten up by the eagle's, sea gulls, wolves and fox.

If the Crows don't get the pout.

Vexi, read our posting guidelines please. Any ??? you can email me.

fiskyknut at yahoo

BDR: Amen. We do not need to stoop to the level of some people in this country. this is a great site, lets not muddy the waters with remarks of this nature. Good luck, hang on. Bill

Few things are more entertaining than watching a LOTW newbie tangle with a big Pout and then try to unhook it. I get the giggles remembering a big pout wrapping itself around my buddies arm! No doubt a pout has been the source of many a chuckle in my house! Big fish are fun to catch whether it's a pout, carp, whatever. Please put those pout back if your not going to eat them, cuz I need the laughs! grin.gif

We go on a 5 day trip up to LOTW every year and have a contest for big walleye of the week. Everytime you catch a pout you have to put an additional dollar into the "penalty" fund. My record for one afternoon is 6. Great fun and worth a buck in my book. There is nothing like seeing the bobber "POP" up and down and knowing the fight will be on and you better get the Vex out of the hole.

I still remember going up with Grandpa when I was just a little kid and seeing some guy fishing by us catch a pout. I had no idea there was such a fish out there and the guy just threw it on the ice. My Grandpa had a heck of a time trying to get us to stop playing with it and try to catch some more saugers. I've loved catching pout ever since and never understood why people just left them to freeze if they weren't going to keep them.