• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Strategies

Question I have been fishing chub lake these last few nights for walleye and I'm in 18 feet of water and we had a camera down spotted some decent walleyes that came in but wouldn't bite I was using a Northland buck shot rattle jig tipped with a crappie minnow or head. one night we got them to bite but after we got this cold snap it seemed like a light switch just turned off. any suggestions on what to use or do to get these walleyes to bite. jigging techniques? Jigs to use? Bait? any suggestions would be great

I have noticed the same thing. Walleyes and perch are very finicky. They'll swim up and take a look and turn right around. Most fish that do bite are on a whole minnow and a deadstick. Jigging seems to scare them off sometimes. As it gets towards dark they'll hit pretty good, only for a short while. Good Luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Northland buck shots, Swedish Pimples, Go Devils and JR's Flasher spoons are all good to jig with. Theres times when switching up to something with a slower drop will get eyes that are turned off by the faster drop of the earlier mentioned jigs. Angle Eyes are perfect when you get fish in that mood. Also dead sticking or a bobber rod in the shack along your side your jigging presentation often gets hits from eyes that would rather not hit a moving jig but the jig next to it will pull eyes in.

Having a flasher gives you the advantage of seeing how fish are relating to your presentation. My jigging movements for eyes are always a slow lift and followed by a free fall. When an eye shows up I stop that movement and quiver my jigs. If that doesn't get them going I'll raise the jig up and quiver it some more. If I go back to raising and the free fall drop its always 1' above the fish I've been working, never dropping down to its level. Theres times when I'll work that same fish for 5 or 10 minutes. Still not all fish end up with a hit but that flasher gives you the chance to adjust your presentation where as fishing blind wouldn't.

When eyes get real finicky like they have been with front after front coming threw I try this. Take a real small jig or a bare hook and small shot and put a ice buster bobber on it set for about 3' above where you see fish. Trim the bobber so it just bairly sinks very slowly. Then drop your bait in and when it gets 3' above the fish it slows way down with the resistance of the bobber. At times this will get those neutral or unagressive fish to hit.

Another thing to do is go as small as you can and slow. Might even be a ice ant with waxies to get strikes from eyes. Like ST said at times you really have to work them. Try several different baits from spoons, jigs, vertical, horizontal, swimming rattling, glowing etc. etc. etc. Half of my fun is trying out different baits all the time. If I catch a few fish on one it will stay on longer but if I dont catch anything in 5 minutes and Im seeing fish I switch baits.

Also on these type of frontal conditions a deadstick or bobber at times outproduces jigging. Also a well placed tip up can be deadly.

Jiffy Im not a expert I just buy too much gear! At least thats what the better half says. " So you dont need anymore now right?" She just dont get it does she? grin.gif

Good pointers guys! Crappie King, how is the panfish fishing on Chub? I was thinking about trying off the weedline off the access on the north end for sunnies and crappies, is there a day bight for crappies or only a night?

Crappie King, How is the ice out there? A couple of us plan on hitting Chub Monday. What type of bait do you use for walleyes there?

Thanks much for the pointers guys...as far as ice goes there is about 11 inches of ice with cars and a truck driving on the as of 12/21 pretty iffy if you ask me but there choice...and for the panfish I havent fished much for them but it seems to me the bite is very well towards evening best place to find them is rightin bass bay and the bay right off the public access they seem to be in the weeds more than on the weed line.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.
    • monstermoose78
      Guys slim creek on burntside is the place to load up on smelt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.