• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Detroit Lakes Forum Get Together

Thanks Steel!!! sounds like an offer I can't refuse. It looks like there are more takers here also. This weekend I fished Sand, Big Cormorant and Lee with my bother in law. (1) northern at Sand (Stump) was it. Normally I can find them with my LX3 but this year I must just be hitten all the wrong spots. Are they in the weeds? Humps? Flats? Dropoffs? Holes? What depths? lures? baits?

I'm looking for anything without a snot coating. They seem to just happen.

For years I did a fishing/hunting radio show in central ND and gave away my gathered info. Will do the same here (not radio)if I ever get in to them unless it's a spot that someone tells me to keep hushed.

How about some GPS waypoint trading? I've got a great crappie-attracting sub merged tree on the Pipestem in Jamestown. Caught dozens of 11 - 15"ers there last year with the help of an Aqua Vu. It has (2) crankbaits (and now a jiggin rap)stuck in it.

Scott, I am from central No Dak myself(Turtle Lake) I've been living out here for 15yrs....How far do you want to travel??? If you want to have a good chance catching Walleyes I would go to Ottertail. You will catch many perch mixed in with the Walleyes..If that is too far Pelican isn't doing bad right now either..To give specifics I could send you an e-mail or talk on the phone...

Awww...Turtle Lake. I'm from Jamestown and was really close to getting a company transfer from Fargo to Bismarck this summer but they decided to keep me here. DRATS!! You came from the country where you have to slow down to let all the pheasants cross the highway. The geese are so thick the landscape is white with.......well, you know. And Sakakawea, Devils Lake in your back yard. You see whitetails, mulies, turkeys, and pronghorns all in the same area...Ugggh, I have to stop thinking of it, I want to go back!

I know if I keep looking I'll find as good of fishing here, just didn't grow up knowing where to go like in central ND. I've also been in the Fargo area since 1988 and just started getting back into the fishing/hunting scene full bore.

My email address is ScottND(at)arvig(dot)net. Send me a line and we can double/triple/quaddruple/group team them critters of the deep that take all my time, sanity and money!

Thanks,

Scott

Hey folks, anymore thoughts on this? Why not North or South Lida? Both seem good enough for a mixed bag. Hopeing we can figure a date out pretty soon, I'll need a couple weeks to put in for a vacation day as I work on the weekend shift.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my Lasik done last night and I can still see. Not perfect yet but enough not to wear glasses so I'm ready to go. If we are still thinking of getting together on the weekend of the 23rd, I'm game. The weekend of the 29th, company winter party in MPLS. Any time after that, open so far.

Dano2...can you still get next weekend off?

As far as the Lida's go...Do you know about the aeration spots? I'd like to fish there but have seen signs up and just moved on. In fact I think I'll start a new post on the issue.

Wow, an event on a Sunday? Weather permitting, I'd like to get in on this one. Suppose anyone could pop a couple of holes for me? Might be a hot bowl of chili in it for you. That might be the weekend of the Pelican JC's derby on Lida. I'll check on this and get another post in here.

Well, is nest sunday the day we will do this? Anyone have a lake thats been producing some fish we could hit. I've got one suggestion, but I'll wait to hear what everyone else comes up with. Would you all rather do a morning get together, or a late afternoon/evening bite get together. I personally would like to do an afternoon get together, but am open to a morning if that's what is preferred. Any other lakes but Lida? I haven't heard anything good about it this year.

Fisherdog

I'm ready and willing to go anywhere on any day next weekend and will probably be out all weekend so time makes no differance. (penned up this weekend). I haven't caught squat this season so wherever you guys decide, I'll be there.

I'm new to the area, spent a lot of time selling my old stuff, getting new stuff, FM'n more then fishin, studying lake maps and the area. When I do finally get out I spend more time looking with the LX-3 and Aqua-Vu then fishing. Trying to find that "spot on the spot" to mark on the GPS ya know. No one at my work place is in to fishing like me so no help there with the hotspots and I don't hang out in the bars (probably the best fish locator!) so that's no help.

Originally I'm from Jamestown ND and know the Pipestem and the Res like the back of my hand (and there's some great crappie fishing at the Pipe right now!) but here it's a little different.

So many lakes to learn...whew! I haven't been hitting the "popular" lakes because I like to find "my own" spots, and maybe that's a mistake but I'm learning the makeups of some of the lakes from solid gravel bottoms to a foot and a half of silt (Drop your camera in that and try to figure out what's going on!) Last weekend I saw a definite seperation at 13.5 ft. between the clear water and the floating silty layer. The crappies were suspending just above the silty stuff. (I actually even caught some!)

No problem with extra holes for anyone who wants them. I usually drill way more than I use anyway.

I'll keep checking and show up where ever. Will be driven the spray painted black '87 Chevy FishinBurban with the Otter Resort (that only comes out once I find fish) and probably my brother in law who actually sits and fishes rather than running all over looking for them.

PR Jaycee's derby is January 29th. Guess I kept bringing up Lida is that they would have a bunch of plowed roads if it were that weekend. My boss has an extra auger he will loan to me. So, I may bet out Wednesday and scout a lake a little bit.

i'm for the afternoon/evening bite get together. i will be on my way back to dl in the late morning. as for lakes, has anyone heard about cotton? i have heard that it has some nice panfish and eye action. any lake is good for me, i'm like ScottND and haven't fished many lakes around DL area. hoping to meet a future fishing partner or two, to help learn the area lakes better. grin.gifgrin.gif

are we still planning on going this weekend, the 23.

i always prefer the afternoon and night bite, that way i dont have to get up early and can have fun the night before (dont tell mom..hehe) i havent fished around here in two weeks as i hit LOTW this weekend.

i have a two man shack, somebody can call dibs on the other spot or i will maybe find someone to tag along with me if nobody replies. i'll try to get out this week once or twice. gophish

What lake will it be? We need to make a decision, sorry I've been out of contact, works been real busy.

Fisherdog

I haven't been on Melissa or Sallie yet...how about anyone else? I think if I go out on Saturday I may try them out. I,ve been asking at baitshops and fishing stores all over and they all say if anyone is catching anything they are really keeping it hushed, in this area anyway. Most I talk to think it's been pretty slow but I don't care. I like hunting em down as much as catching em.

i don't care where we go either. i have not fished many of the dl area lakes, so let's just get one decided so we aren't waiting till sunday.

fisherdog, you may just have to tell us where you want to fish. as long as there is fish action and good people, i'm there grin.gif

I was told by John at Quality Bait that Melissa and Sallie were dead. I had to find out for myself and went out there before the cold snap and he was right. I only caught a couple of walleyes. It was one of the more frustrating days that I have ever had out fishing. Had lots of follows, but there weren't many takers. The Perch and the Northerns cooperated, though. I have heard that Big C was doing alright.

Huntnfish, 2 walleyes and some follows doesn't = dead in my book, just not biting cause of front conditions.

I was thinking about hitting Melissa for the get together on Sunday, 3pm at the access and we can go from there. I've got a spot in mind, any other suggestions would be great. The spot I'm thinking should hold walleyes, craps, pike, and some gills. That's what I got last year, Eyes til dark and then craps til about 8pm, bring shiners, fatheads, waxies, and wigglers for bait. With the warmer weather this weekend and a couple days rest after the front coming tomorrow, it shouldn't be all that bad. I'll see everyone at 3pm, be in a maroon GMC x-cab with matching topper.

Fisherdog

I'll try to be there. I might be out there already, though. What end of the lake are you thinking? I drive a maroon Blazer. If I'm out there, I'll keep an eye out for you. Melissa's a fun lake to fish. The Pike in there usually provide a little action to keep you busy during the slow times.

See ya on Melissa on Sunday at 3pm. I'll probably be out already though, so like Huntnfish, if we miss you, should we look N, S, E, or W ?

hey fisherdog,

what access are you talking about, i haven't been on melissa before. i will be coming with gophish so maybe he knows. anyone gonna have 2 way radios, if so i will bring mine with. channel 5 for those interested.

melissa will work.

i told a girl she could cook for me on sunday though while we were watching the games. totally for got about this as i got caught up in the moment. i'll have to try to smooth that one over, she's really cute too so that sucks.

fishing today was slow.. i'm gonna keep at it friday and sat. and try to zero in on there preferred locations.

details in my forum.

gophish

Access on East side of lake, a little north of center. Looking to fish hole on the NE corner, easily seen on a map. Hope to see everyone there, supposed to be windy. If anyone fishes Melissa between now and then and has some luck elswhere, post here and we could fish that area.

Fisherdog

I will be there unless I get into some fish somewhere else earlier in the day. I think I'm going to go out to Big C in the morning and then head over to Melissa in the afternoon. If I don't make it, good luck to everyone.

Well, I fished the hole tonight on Melissa for a couple hours at sunset. Yes, I saw activity on my LX-3, but as usual, No I didn't catch any. At least I know with a 4x4 you can get out there and it must have been crappies that came in at 4' off the bottom in 18'. I also saw some bottom huggers and one that followed my jiggin rap down from about 5' but didn't hit. Had a tipup out in another hole. Was kinda lazy after moving snow all day so only tried 2 holes. See ya there tommorrow.

I was really looking forward to putting faces to some of the names. Not going to make it today due to blowing my back out shovelling snow yesterday. This is a repeat injury, so I know how to fix it. I just need to ice, stretch, and twist myself back into shape. Good luck everyone.

it went ok, not much fish action though. i know most people were marking fish but seemed like they had lockjaw.

it was nice to meet some of the guys, wish i would have went from shack to shack to meet everyone. hope we can maybe have another get together with better luck grin.gif

Fishing was OK, a couple craps, a few snakes, and some small perch and sunnies caught by the group. In all, quite a few crappies were marked from 2-10' off the bottom but they weren't very aggressive. A buddy of mine had a camera and saw a few waldo's. I lost one nice fish I believe to be a walleye (lots of head shaking). Maybe we'll do it again at the same spot in the middle of March when the crappies show up in greater numbers. Until then, great fishing to you all.

Fisherdog

i just about forgot. thanks to whoever i got the mantles from, it would have been tough fishing without. but maybe that was a sign that the fish weren't going to be biting grin.gif

anyway, if we get together again, hit me up for the mantles i owe you. i went to fleet immediately monday and bought 3 sets.