• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Reel??

Fishing Realtor

The Symetre is the best spinning reel on the market. If your budget can do the $30 increase to the Stradic... (from $85 jump to $115) do it. Depends on how much you fish, too. Stay far away from Pinnacles, I saw more of them on the floor behind the counter than anything. Some swear by them and that's fine, I'm just stating a fact. Can't get parts for 'em either.

First off, thanks to everyone who contributed to my question on St.Croix Rods! I went with the AS70MLF. Now I need recommendation on spinning reels for the rods. I kind of like Shimano reels but open for suggestion on all.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe I myself am pretty partial to Shimano Symetre in the 1000 model. The reason for that is I prefer a paddle knob on the handel over a T knob also I have had good luck with the Pinnacle deadbolt limiteds. I know that quite a few guy's use the Shimano stradics but I haven't had the pleasure as of yet maybe on my next rod. I have been thinking of treating myself to a new jigging rod

Hey Joe, Great choice on the rod. I St.Croixs are the best for there money. Havent seen a rod thats as good. G loomis is way to high price and not as good as a St.Croix. As for a reel goes I like a Quantum Energy, Catalyst, or there Kinetic. I also like the new St.Croix reels they just came out with. Seen them at the sports show. They are a vary smooth reel. If I had to compare them to another reel I would say there like the Shimano Strata. They run anyware from $100 to $140 depending on the size. If I were you I would check out these reels and see which one fits the rod and your hand the best.
Good Luck

Willie ><((((>

Joe, see what you think of the diawa hard body reels. They have a better drag system,and bigger spool(less coils). I like shimano also, they are a very smooth reel, but it seems like I have to throw them away every couple of years. I currently own a stradic and symetre and am unimpressed with both. There factory lube jobs are also very poor, I would recommend adding lube right out of the box and again halfway through the season.

Bigeyes, I hate to admit my stupidity, but how and with what do you lubricate reels?

I would stay away from the Pinnacle Deadbolt's as well. When I was in college I worked for largest fishing/hunting distributor in the Midwest and there was nothing but problems with the Pinnacle reels.

What I would suggest would be any of the higher end Shimano's starting with the Symetre but I would also recomment the Abu Garcia Tournament Series T500 reel. This reel has been discountinued for production reasons but is an excellent reel for the price. I think you can get them on clearance for $60-$70 at Reeds.

Hey Joe, you use a reel lube for them, you can get them at most fishing retailers, including Gander and Cabelas. as for adding some lube, all interal moving parts should be lubed, especially the disc drag, sense that is a friction system that is usually exposed to the elements.