• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix Owners

Joe Suits

I have made the decision to go with St Croix rods. My question is, are the Avid Series rods worth twice the price of the Premier Series rods? I realize the Avid has a lifetime warranty and the Premier has a two year warranty.

Also, which rod size? 7' Medium light fast tip, or 7'6" medium light extra fast tip for lindy rigs etc?
Thanks,

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Suits (edited 02-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Joe Suits (edited 02-27-2003).]

Joe how are you going to be using this rod would it be primarily a rigging rod or a jigging rod

Joe,

I have several St. Croix rods.

My advice is to get the best rod you can afford. If you're thinking between the Premire & Avid and can afford the Avid, go for it.

My friend hand crafted a SC 5 (Legend Elite - their best) and it is very light & sensitive !!

Make sure you put on a instant anti-reverse reel on that rod......

Hope that helps.

Hey Joe Suits,

I personally do not own a St. Croix Live Bait Rig (LBR) rod. I started using a Loomis IMX two years ago and love it.

But...I do own both a Premier and Avid series baitcasting rod which I use for cranks and spinners. They are both very nice rods.

Usually, when asked, I suggest putting most of your money in the rod (as opposed to reel) for LBR fishing, and vice-versa for baitcasting. The Avid series is much more sensitive and lighter weight than the Premier, which is nice when you fish alot and for long days on the water.

Longer 7' to 7'6" rods will give you much better hook sets. The Avid series seems to have a faster tip which, when coupled with a No-stretch line, has awesome sensitivity. At first, you may lose more fish using a No-stretch, but once you get used to it, I doubt you will go back to the stretch mono. For light biting fish, in deeper water, using this combination is simply the best.

Joe,
I started out with a premier series and when I bought the avid I the difference was night and day. Then I upgraded to the legend elite and I can't believe I ever caught fish with anything else. If you have the $ it is the best rod out there for jigging. I have packed it into the BWCA so I know it will hold up. I also have an a Loomis GLX and I like the legend better. Good Luck

I have a 7' st. croix premier, medium-light. great rod, problem is I broke the tip off while putting it into the rod locker while night fishing. anyone know how I can get this repaired, or can I send it back the the manufacturer for replacement of the end piece of a two piece rod?

Joe
I purchased the Avid 7'6" MLF last year and used it for live bait. I was very impressed with the sensitivity of this rod. I like the longer rod for hooksets when using light line and sinkers.
Dino

No problem, look up SC website. They are just over in WI and I've had good service from them on several rods. Quick too.

I have several St. Croix Rods, a couple premiere and a couple avid.

I agree with some of the other postings, get the best you can afford. In fishing rods the old saying "you get what you pay for" is true. The premiere series is a great all around rod if you are not terribly serious and only get out a time or two each season. If you spend any amount of time on the water spend the extra $ for the avid - well worth the investment. If an investment of around $300 isn't over your head go for the legend elite. I know it will be my next purchase. However, don't forget to match it with a reel that will do the rod justice.

My favorite St. Croix so far:
Avid 7'0" Med Light Fast Action

If you plan to spend alot of time dragging around the mud the same rod as above except in a 7'6" (fast or extra fast)is a great choice too.

Good luck - Welcome to the St. Croix family

I own a 6'-6" spinning Ledgend Elite and as far as I'm concerned, there is no other walleye rod. It was tough to part with that much money on a rod but now that I own one, I'm looking at getting a second.

The warranty is what impressed me the most. I had used the rod only twice and was pulling in a small sauger down at Red Wing when the tip snapped off. I sent it into St Croix and I had a new rod on my doorstep in 3 days, no questions asked. I'll definetly be making the investment again in the near future.

The Spook

Am I hearing that rather that get two Avid rods, maybe get one Elite? If I were to get two of the Avids, should I get 2 AS70MLF or one AS70MLF and another size?

Thanks!

Joe

I would get 2 avids. They are great rods. I just got a 8ft avid med. lt. moderate action . as80mlm2. O love it for live bait rigging.It has the solid cork handle so you can put the real you want to use anyplace to balance it out. I think it would also be good for slip bobbers. I also have a 6"6" Med Lt. jigging rod and its great because its light and yet sturdy.
These are also way less$ than a Legend Elite or Loomis.

Joe you may want to try a loomis PR8400S in a IMX for your rigging rod it's about the same money as the avids I have both the 8400 and an avid AS70MLF both are fine rods from companies that truly stand behind there products

Joe, this is just my 2 cents but I have fished with an Avid for 2 years and was tickled pink until last summer when I bought a loomis IMX, night and day difference. The Avid is now a secondary rod.

Basshunter you are right I stand corrected I think the loomis was around 220.00 to 240.00 cant really remember what I paid oh well chalk it up to old age I believe the factories of these two rod building companies set the retail prices of there products so you may never see either of these rods at a sale price

loomis for the more refined sensitive presentations, jigs, light rigs, and St. Croix for heavy fishing, cranks, 3ways, ect. both brands are superior products and have performed great for me, its all a matter of trying them out and finding what rod works best for each individual angler/presentation. any way you look at it you're getting a great product

I speak on the elite, the BEST rod on the market. G-loomis GLX & IMX are decent rods but from my experience the elite is much more sensitive (eye to eye taper)The avid is a step down but not a hugh one for the money avid is a very good purchase.
Just my 3 cents.
Opener only 2 mo. away HE HE HE

maybe if ya used a loomis ya wouldn't be look 'n' for a 30! ha ha, there both great rods.

I have built the St. Croix and the G. Loomis blanks. Right now, for the money I would have to say that the Avid is the best bang for the buck. The Legend Elite are awsome, but I don't know if they are for twice the price. G. Loomis used to be the best in my mind, but now they are owned by Shimano. I personally think they have slipped in quality. I no longer can get some of the blanks that I used to. They stopped selling them to custom rod builders.
I fish with all of these rods and if price was not an issue, I would go with the Legend Elite.
Just my impressions.
Rob