• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where are the crappies on ol' Millie?

ackotz

Ok...this question is for the hardcore fisherpersons...(who actually live on the lake). I've heard there are some great crappies in Mille Lacs and few anglers enjoy them, especially right after ice-out. Would you be willing to tell me where they are? Purdy, purdy, please? I'll bring you some New York style-cheesecake and a cup of hot cocoa too...purdy, purdy, please? grin.gif

...well they're in there. Here's the DNR survey that shows that...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport_printable.html?downum=48000200&printable=true

...and the surveys probably don't happen in the bays where I imagine the crappies may be. But, then again I don't know where they survey.

I don't live on the lake but I have fished her for many years. We used to keep a fish house out of Jack's Twin Bay, now Mac's Twin Bay. We had good fishing for crappies there.
It got very busy in the bay and pushed us on to other areas of the lake. I still venture back a couple times during the ice season after the walleye season closes. Not to much doing for numbers but we manage to get some.
In the spring, we fish down on the southeast end and depending on the day and the weather
you can pick up some nice fish.
The channel that's comes out of the public access just north of Isle on HWY 47 can be good after sun down. You have to wait till most of the boat's come off the lake and get trailered. Work up and down the channel. It get's cool so bring along the cold weather gear. I know by sharing this you might have some company out there but they will thin out as the temps cool. I also know some guys that fish on the northwest side and have some success. Myr-Mar area.
You beg so nice that I couldn't resist sharing this with you. I'm sure others will weaken to the temptation of cheese cake and hot cocoa and give up there spots...
Good Luck...

I've had my best luck just after ice out at Izaty's Marina. It's kind of hit and miss (usually more miss than hit). However, when they are in there, the action is great and the size is good.

The Spook

See! I knew they were in there! Thanks Scupper, Zaraspooks and Duckhunter! Have you guys ever tried them through the ice? That's what I'm really curious about...I owe you a slice of cheesecake and cocoa sometime too!

Try out in the bay. I recomend a flasher as we would find them suspended. 12 - 17 feet of water. I was there awhile back to try for crappies but the bay was loaded with fish houses, people and activity. Ended up with a few nice perch. Best times were normal sun-up and twilight.
A few years back we had 17 crappies that pushed the bait shop scale just over 21 pounds. This was a slow bite that lasted all Saturday thru Sunday. It looked good when we were done but it was a long slow bite.
Give her a try...
Good Luck...