• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Squid

'Eyes and Sensitivity to Light

Squid

This is a subject I'm not sure that I've seen a post on so perhaps it's time to bring this up.
On my last two trips up to the big pond most of the action I've had has been in the middle of the night. The first time it happened it seemed like no big deal but after having it happen again this past weekend it seemed like more than mere coincidence.
What I'm talking about is that walleyes are more sensitive to light than most people think in my opinion. My house was set up in deep water off the edge of a mudflat and for most of the night nothing. Of course I'm up and the lights are on (12V light system). Drop a couple of rattle reels, turn out the lights and put the head down on the pillow and bam!, off go the rattle reels. All of the fish caught have been well over 20" and there have been a couple of really big ones that have gotten off.
What I'm thinking is that these fish are there most of the time but even from the deep depths of the lake they can sense light and they know that is something to avoid. Remember, these bigger fish didn't get that way by being stupid. All of those who fit that description have been caught.
So, in conclusion, I'd like to know what other people think on the subject. Are 'eyes more sensitive to light than we give them credit for or is it just a minor factor that we shouldn't really pay a lot of attention to?

JAYSUPNORTH

hey squid,light is a huge factor in a walleyes behavior cant tell how many times ive been in my boat or shack during the day without a bite then the sun starts dropping and I start banging fish.I think the light in your house has something to do with it. also I think when your resting your head on your pillow your probably being alot more quiet.as sound is also a big factor.anyway theres my two cents jaysupnorth