• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Nordern

Perch Extravaganza

Nordern

Does anyone know what the times, cost and
prizes are for the Perch Extravaganza or where to find that info?

Saturday the 22nd is the 20th annual at Liberty Beach. Hours are 8am to 2pm. Tickets are $10 and you must be present to win door prizes.
See you on the water.
Dino

TRZ

was wondering what the exact format of the tournament is. is the weigh in at liberty beach at 2pm? and what are the prizes?

ackotz

...weigh-in is at 2pm sharp. There will be 10 "big fish" prizes and "tons" of prizes that will be drawn...

Brandt's Ice Fishing Contest is (this) Sunday the 16th from noon to 3pm. Cost is $3 and there wil be prize drawings throughout the contest and cash prizes for fish in each "category"(?)...

Scupper

TRZ,
what I have noticed the past few weeks is the perch are big and finicky. As far as hot spots, my regular spots are working. I'm always atleast a mile from anyone. It's amazing how many fish are in this lake if a guy just looks a little. I like solitude and the allure of(NO MANS)land.
As far as advise, if your looking for numbers, be set up before sunrise. I know the Perch contest starts at 8:00 AM but we have been getting our best perch action early AM and an hour before sunset. We have been getting them thru out the day but the numbers are down. Bright side, Big fish.
We tried everything we could think of.
I did the best in our party of 3. Orange hook and the biggest fathead I could find in the bucket. We managed 45 perch Saturday thru Sunday. Biggest was a male, 12&7/8".
Smallest was 10&1/4". Oh, I also got into one of those bottom feeders. A 26" Walleye.
Don't be afraid to venture out and cut some holes. You just might find some new spots.
Good Luck...

Flick

I would totally agree with scupper. That's exactly what I have been noticing too. Especially with the top times to fish. And they are definetely finicky! Man, it seems they'll never bite sometimes. Size has been real good for us also, although was down this past weekend. I'll definetely be up for the contest this weekend. Scupper you been doing good out in nomans land? I've been doing good deep to but somewhat close to structure. Good luck this weekend.

TRZ

who is going to be in the contest this weekend? any hot spots or advise? good luck to all!

Scupper

Perch are a hardy breed as you know.
As for keeping them fresh over a period of time, I think anything you catch on the day of the contest should be in pretty good shape come way-in. I always put snow or ice chips and a little water in my bucket to keep them fresh.
34'-36' of water.
I've got to run to Milwaukee tonight. Hope to be back for the contest. See you there and good luck to you both.

TRZ

scupper, thanks for the info. i have a old reliable spot up ther that has produced for me the three times i have gone up there this year. but like you say they are slow except for "prime time". my spot is also deserted, but close to shore. isn't it fun to have success with no other fisherman in sight! was also wondering what the rule was for fish at the weigh in, do they have to be alive? should i keep a big one alive in a bucket or something, because from across the lake it is a long was to liberty beach.

Flick

Went up for the perch contest yesterday and had a real good time. We caught a bunch of perch for a half day of fishing. Had a couple that we thought might have a chance of placing but they didn't. Our biggest was 1.03.
Heres the results of the contest-
10th through 2nd place-1.15-1.20lbs.
1st place was 1.35lbs.
There were multiple ties for the places in the contest. Too bad we didn't hook up with a bigger one. I know last weekend we caught one that would have placed. Also hooked into a walleye for a few seconds during the morning. This fish was riding 10ft. off the bottom, reeled up to him and bang. I love using my vexilar.

Icerookie

Flick.....where did you catch the perch? The last few times I've been up there, the perchin was pretty bad! If they're starting to pick up, I'm gonna head back up there next weekend. How deep were you, what times did you catch them, etc. etc. Any info is appreciated!

------------------
Hey, you're bobber's down!!

Gonzo

Too bad Liberty Beach stopped selling their buttons this year. I'm sure it's to save money, but my collection was growing nicely!
I didn't win with the paper ticket either, but at least I used to go home with a couple of buttons anyway frown.gif

Tonka Boy

Yep, that would have been it! A friend of mine caught one that was 1 lb, 5oz. and never turned it in. Now that he is sobered up, I bet he is kicking himself! shocked.gif

Flick

Icerookie-We were fishing the north end of the lake in 30ft. of water. Morning and evening times have been best for us but last weekend the morning bite lasted longer which is a good sign, maybe things are starting to heat up.
Granny-You have a pretty lucky friend and he wasn't bs'ing you either, it was a nice fish. Cant believe he only caught one big one. And yes that was the first place prize, the biggest raffle prize was a 4-wheeler.

[This message has been edited by Flick (edited 02-24-2003).]

Granny

Hey Flick, My friend told me he had won that contest with a 1.34 or 1.35. He likes to bs a little but he showed me the envelope with the $500. Was that the first place prize? He told me it was the only bite he had all day!

Tonka Boy

I saw an older gentelman in sandles at the contest. Heck, my feet were cold with neoprine socks and boots! We asked him if he was cold and his reply was "My nose is a little cold!"

What a nut!

TRZ

tonkaboy, i'm sure we are talking about the same older guy leaning against that truck by the weigh in station, what a nut! also saw 2 other guys in shorts, man it was cold out there and i was drunk!

Nordern

TRZ, As to your buddy who won the electric auger. I have been using one for the last 8 years on Mille Lacs. We have a very nice shack and the electric drills the holes w/o filling the joint with gas fumes that linger on forever. Another bonus is that it will always start on the first press of the button.

Flick

Yeah i saw that guy with sandles on too! He didn't even have any socks on. His feet looked a little blue to me. What a nutcase. Might have been some mental issues on that one.

TRZ

the contest was alot of fun, met some cool guys and seen some funny things, like guys in sandles and shorts at the weigh-in. we brought home a nice batch, but no hogs our bigget was 3/4. my friend won a electric auger in the raffle. he's going to sell it. does anyone even use those things?