• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bigeyes

Caution on SW END

bigeyes

There is a huge breaker on the south west end of the lake that can only be crossed with a good bridge! Ice piled up over 6 feet in areas and large gaps. I would not drive on this end without staying near a road or really knowing what your doing. I would be really carefull after dark in this area.

Grabs

bigeyes, where do you fish?

I fish out of Weekends and they have a road and a new bridge up. Things got really crazy up there on Friday when that happened! Many of the houses have no moved inside the break and my house has now been pulled home. Planning on fishing the next two weekends around the metro, probably have better fishing anyhow. We did manage one slot fish (15 15/16") and a nice tulibee on Sat evening. We were fishing about 0.6 mile NW of the island in 32' of water.

Good luck to anyhow still fishing the dead sea and please be safe.

Insp Gadget

Grabs et al,

Another new bridge was built by Wilderness warmth and and my house bartner on Friday, and rebuilt twice Saturday after Weekends guys tore it up quick hauling houses off. Bad move on there part. Sounds like they built there own after that. Let the ice settle down and the bridges freeze up good (which will happen these next couple of days and there'll be no problem for those who use caution.

An older couple (60's) drove out friday and didn't even note that the ridge had changed from last week and drove 30 mph into the ridge. Stopped really fast, (costing them all there front end components, tie rods etc.) and had water up to the top of the front wheels. My partner took them to thier house in his Argo at the DNR's request. They had no warm clothes, no way to get help, nothing. Wilderness pulled their car out for them on Saturday after they were sure they could get close enough without putting themselves in the drink. Moral of the story, generally the ones getting in trouble are the ones not thinking. (heard weekends put two houses into the water in their "rush" to get off the lake too)

Watched one 10 - 12 LB northern cruise in and take my minnow on the vista cam only to have it break the line frown.gif (4lb test) and got 3 wallys, 1 slot, 2 just over. not great, but lots of fun!!

Good luck, think alot, and stay Safe!

Gadget

Grabs

The Reelbottom has been updated since last year, if you don't have the update, it WILL be way off. I checked some stuff last year and using Spirit Island as a reference, it was way off. I recent updated and everything is right on the money now, at least for the SW end.

Scott Steil

The orginal reelbottoms were off on the SW corner of the lake. If you have Lakemaster and have the update it should be right on. Every point I have transferred has been right on both from the software to the lake and from the lake to the software.

I have found the software to be very good. I'm not sure of the paper maps. I don't no if this is the case but lakemaster is in deg,min,seconds (i think). If your gps is running in deg, min.decimal and you enter deg,min,sec you will be off a little bit each time. but anyway there different formats. make sure you are entering your #'s in the right format. $.02

metro 1

I fell in this year (3weeks ago -8*) testing a crack 18" wide to see if it would support my small truck,it didn't support even me.One leg wet up to my thigh. around Indian point. Last year in the same area my friends 18 yr old son put their neighbors 2001 cargo van in up to the windshield. The lake in the SW corner is always dangerous. with no snow you can drive all over the place which is no good for safety. With snow everyone can see the paths that are tested safer . Isn't that just like Mille Lacs,metro

[This message has been edited by metro 1 (edited 02-03-2003).]

bigeyes

Paul I hope you have fun in Wisconsin, maybe we can do it again some day. Yes I can hardly contain myself after finishing with 4 tulibee in one outing. I have checked and recheck my numbers and I think that the reelbottom map is way off on the locations we were fishing I have run into that 3 times now, the software is great, but I am starting to question the accuracy? I have had it be right on most of the time, but it was about a 1/2 mile off on that spot.

Grabs- I really fish the entire lake, I have a spot or two I like, but some people only work a few areas, I really like to move around. About the only place I haven't spent much time is wakon bay. I come up 169 so I prefer the west end.

bigeyes

captainCurt- Thank you I checked out there web site and you were right. I changed the setting and checked it against some spots that I knew were off before, and yes they now appear dead on. It is kinda funny how these work though, waypoints in dms on the tip of one flat would be right on with my gps, but other waypoints on the same flat were as much as a mile of in dms mode. I guess I don't understand it, but I should be all good now. Thanks again.