• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Late fishing report

New here, as you can see. Been reading but not writing.This is only my 2nd year ice fishing Mille Lacs so I am no expert but this is what I got...
we are in 32 ft of water 15 ft behind us is 28 ft of water and 15 ft ahead is 35 ft of water.We are on a mud flat.All Saturday afternoon the boy and I caught nothing..at 1am a rattle went off and we got a 26incher and then nothing.....until about 8:30am and we had a heck of a time keeping up with 4 rattle wheels until about 9:45am and they just shut down.We landed four 25,25,27,5 and missed about that many.They were biting pink or orange and fatheads.WE fish every weekend and this is the best we have done so far,but this is also the first time on the mud this year.. I hope this helps you all.

Welcome to FM. Where abouts are you on the mud? We are out of Mac's on Hawkbil reef and doing ok. Would like to hook into some eyes though.. Thanks for the post and well writen!

Charles

Invadersmn..took me awhile to find a spot that interstate 94 didn't pass thru there is another guy out there but he's real good about driving way around us but if you email me at [email protected] I can give you a little info off my GPS..there is alot of heaves on the way but I have the crossings marked also..I will be out there Sat morning with the old man so hopfully this cold snap didn't screw it up,but maybe not it was cold weekend before last and we did ok then also.

I am also coming up on Sat and will be fishing out of Macs. I think we will be fishing out of portables as our permanant is still in the bay and we do not want to pay them to move it, to get no fish where we move it to either. How deep are you getting the perch? I have not been up there for a month and the reports I have seen have not been real promising or given me much to go on.

i am glad somebody up there is catching fish cuz they have had lock jaw for me- good job!!!

good report! a buddy and i have also been doing well on mille lacs. not close to last year, but we have averaged 9 fish per day the last few times out. even 3 slots 1 day, still tossed em back. i think the key this winter was avoiding the crowds, the closest house to us was 3/4m. away, mostly sets w/ bigger shiners. not a perch caught.

I am going to the West side this weekend. How far out do think I need to go to catch some fish? What do they seem to be feeding on?

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.