• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rick, or Anyone.

J Rookie K

SD this weekend, leave Fri morning, return whenever. I was fixin to go after Thanksgiving, but my partner bailed out. I want to get out there soon. My weekends are going to be filled with work and too much holiday crap. December is getting to be way too busy! This first weekend will be my last chance, and I have to take it. So one more time, lets get some boys togeter, and have a pheasant shoot. Leave a post here if you want to join. I dont care where we stay, or hunt. Ive only hunted public between Souix Falls and Mitchell, north and south of I90. My buddy said he will go so right now 2 gunners, 1 chessie.

Hopefully others will get in on this.

Thanks, JRK.

------------- Reject all Activists!-----------------

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Make it 3 hunters and add a lab. I'm in. I've never been to SD so I'll follow someone elses lead.

I do need details from Owatonna.

I love to join up with you all, but I already have commitments working the ice show frown.gif I hear the Aberdeen area has been great this year. Lots of public land in that area. Have fun guys!

Name a hotel and if I can make it, I will be there and look you up. Could be bringing 1-3 hunters and 2-5 hounds.

Rick, is there anyway I can get in? I've hunted around mitchell before. It would be just me and my dogs. We could ride together. Call me tonight and let me know.

Nater

Good deal, sounds like a few are game. I didnt plan on making any reservations because I didnt know where we would end up. Motel rooms shouldnt be an issue, there are plenty around. If we hunt around Mitchell, I90 would be the best. If Aberdeen, then Hwy 12. I hunted Mitchell a month ago, it was better than MN, but Aberdeen area is always good from what I hear. There is more public land east of Mitchell {from what the map shows}, but they are smaller patches, a lot of waterfowl porduction areas. Im willing to try a new area and do some exploring.

----- Anyone who is joining please put your 2 cents in. ----

---------- Thanks, JRK. ------

Nate, did you hunt public or private. I stayed in Salem last time out. Hunted west of Salem and north of Bridgewater, all public land. Corn was 50% out and weather was nice. The birds were in thin cover and along cut corn fields. Thats where I had the best action. Any info would be appreciated, and I hope you can make it.

----------- Thanks, JRK. ------------

jrk sorry for not getting back to you , had to work!

hope you got a few birds. will have to try to get out anther time.

I hunted North of Mitchell on public land that was close to I 90 on the west side. We did well there. We got our birds just had to work for them. The birds are there, you just have to pound the ground in the back parts of the large WMA's. I've also hunted quite a bit around Eureka which is west of Aberdeen about 70 miles. We used to hunt there every year. But 2 years ago the numbers were really down and we quit going there. It is quite a hike to Aberdeen. I'll have to look at the map to see what town we stayed in near mitchell.

Nate was it Plankinton? If we stayed in Salem, there is plenty of land to hunt. North, south, east, and west, with not too far to drive. I got up plenty of birds in that area. Some land was better than others. Salem is about 30 miles east of Mitchell, and 4 miles north of I90, on Hwy 81. I think thats where Id like to go. What about you?

Rick, can I leave my phone number on here? I will be working 12hr shifts Mon-Wed, 3pm to 3am. 8 hrs on thurs 3-11pm. It would be easier if I could call you guys when Im at work, or you guys could call me in the mornings. I talk much faster than I can type.

--------- Thanks, JRK.---------------

I think the town we hunted near was white lake. I'm not for sure. I need to get my map at home to double check. I'll check it when I get home and reply to ya then. I have quite a few Public Land areas marked on it that we hunted. But the map is in my garage so I'll get back to ya.

Nate, you're always good to go, give me a call. I'll ride with you. J Rookie just e-mail me using the "Contact Us" link below and I'll send my phone number to you.

I'm thinking Salem would be a good bet ehh J Rookie??

Can we fill you in here Bryce?

Two or possibly three of us will be stopping for a late afternoon hunt Thursday in MN (around Marshall) and then on to Mitchell for Friday, Sat, Sun, and Monday. We will have one pointer and one spaniel. We have hunted alot around Salem and will probably be there. We have two dogs. We should all try to connect out there.

Count me in with 1 1/2 labs. Most likely have HUNTER2 and his golden coming with. Will arrive according to his work schedule. If he can't fit it in, I will be waiting out there for you. Possibly one more hunter with his lab. Will confirm tommorrow. Shoot me an e-mail Rick for cell # exchange. Anyone know if you can get SD licenses at Gander Mt. still?

Hi Bryce,

you'll have to get Nates cell phone number. I'll send him your e-mail address.

Hey Reeltimes,

I will send you Nates e-mail address. Exchange cell phone numbers with him.

Sound slike a fun weekend stacking up.

You can buy/print your SD hunting lic. online. Easy & Quick ! Search on South Dakota Game,Fish and Parks, don't think I can post the link.

Just got back from there and had a great time, lotsa birds and a very tired lab !

I made reservations at Home Motel in Salem, 3 rooms sleeps 8. So far I think we have 5 to 6 guys so there is more room. 2 of the rooms are $53 a night and the other is like $48 a night. If there are cancelations please let me know. Just leave a post here. Rick you have mail. There is a rest stop right aross the border on I90 we can meet at. 8am-9am should work, we can then stop in Souix Falls for licencse. Any comments/questions feel free. Non toxic shot is recomended, I hunt WPA's quite a bit and lead is not leagal.

--------- Thanks, Justan.

I just talked to a guy at work. He said he was out there hunting last weekend and the deer season was on. He said there was deer hunters all over. They would be walking a field and run into some deer hunters coming the other way. He said it was pretty scary with the dogs out there and the deer hunters with rifles. He said they left early. Just wondering if that could be a problem or not?

Justan, should I assume one of those rooms was with me in mind or should I be calling for myself? I know I will be there and I'm sure hunter2 will come once I explain to him how to lift up his skirt. I will talk at him later tonite to verify but don't think we will be there until Friday after dark.

Rick, Saw your note and sent an email to Nate. I know you guys are staying in Salem but we already had prior plans and commitment to stay in Mitchell, so that is where we will be. We usually stay there just because there is more options for the evening and also we sometimes venture for a day trip further west over by Chamberlain. We are still firming up our hunting plans but I am sure we will be doing some hunting at some point around Salem. Would be nice to connect up early in the trip for dinner, etc, compare notes or hunt some bigger parcels together. Not sure if you guys were planning to stay in Salem or venture into Mitchell for evening stuff. We can probably connect up either location. Bill

Bryce I had you in mind, if it doesnt work we can make changes. Right now I think we have 5 guys. My buddy isnt sure, {the skirt thing}. He probly wont make it, so looks like Im alone. When I called out there they only had 3 of the small rooms left. so I took them. Rick will this work for you? We can talk later about the details.

J Rook and Bryce, that works fine. I'm letting Nate work out the details with you guys. I'll be riding out with him.

Went out this afternoon and Paris chased a rooster down and brought him to me. A young one. I didn't even get to shoot. He also got up another 4 hens.

I only go hunting because of him cool.gif

here's a pic of Paris taken today:

rick-paris120104.jpg

and another with his bird:

rick-paris120104-3.jpg

and a black & white with his bird:

rick-paris120104-2.jpg

Photos by Cheryl Paquin

Nice pix. Hope you're bringing that camera with. Good quality. HUNTER2 and I won't be to the motel until after dark. Be leaving Willmar about noonish and then just head straight west to get in a couple hours of hunting before heading south. Sounds like we may be one guy short to even out hotel rooms if someone else wants to jump in. I have a strict 1 weiner per bed rule when I sleep. grin.gif

Just reviewing the posts and sounds like we have JRook, Nate, Rick, Bryce, Hunter2, and ReelTimes. There will be me and one other hunter so if I'm counting right, total of 7 making the trip. Sounds like some of you will be arriving Friday afternoon or evening. Were driving down tomorrow so will probably have a full day of hunting in on Friday. Again, will be staying in Mitchell. Should we plan on meeting somewhere for dinner Friday evening? Not sure whats in Salem for restaurants? Might be able to compare notes from first day of hunting, etc. Let us know what you think.

Let's have supper together. Give Nate a call onm Friday. I believe he gave you his number. We'll be leaving around 5:30 am Friday.

Were leaving later than I thought...probably about 3pm today. I'm packing the guns and gear....dogs going nuts with excitement. We will plan on being around or close to Salem on Friday. Will try to give you a call Friday morning or later in the day, and certainly plan on connecting for dinner. Its snowing like crazy here...about 5 inches so far this am. Have a safe trip everyone. Bill

There aint too much in Salem, few bars, couple of filling stations, a cafe or two, and I think a Ford dealer. Salem is not that far from Mitchell {36 miles }. Supper on Fri sounds good, give us a call. Nate and Rick, Ill see you in the morning.

Sounds good rookie, We are leaving at 530 am so we should be at the rest stop definitely by 830. we'll give a call if there are any issues.

nate