• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Safety

Iceman73

Hey all, I am heading up to Mille Lacs this weekend, and I have a few people in my party that are worried about the ice safety, with all the problems around the state. We are renting a house from McQuiod's on the east side, and I would assume their roads to their houses would be in good shape. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I drilled a fresh hole for a tip-up this past weekend and measured 24" of clear solid ice. There is no concern about ice thickness right now, just be aware of any pressure ridges you may encounter while driving.

Check with the resort before venturing out.

Hey I just got back last night from Mac's (Which is where you will go out I am guessing) and I had to put the extension on my auger! Lots of cracking (making ice) though. Kevin and Crew do a really good job marking the roads and making sure everything is safe for people going out on their roads. If you stay on the roads there will be no problems at all! If you wanna wonder off the beaten path I would contact the resort and ask about Ice conditions on where you are going...

Good luck. Post your results from next weekend if you can.

Charles

Yup, ice is 24" out of Macs. Spent the night in one of McQuoid's houses. Very nice Super 8 houses! Only one small ellpout. See fish on the Vex, had no camera. Just couldn't get 'em to bite. Still had a great time.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-27-2003).]

Thanks fellas, hopefully your responses will cool some nerves. I don't suppose you caught any fish from McQuoid's did you? I've heard things are pretty slow.

Fishing was slow. Plenty of fish on the camara though! They are there, however they just are not hungry. I have done the best downsizing presentation. I did well on fresh colored larva! Most of the fish on the vexlar will be smaller fish! Normaly fish the morning in evenings and watch TV and relax during the day. Have cought fish all hours of the day though. Be flexable and portable and I think you will do just fine.

Charles