• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

waste of time

only-eyes

i fished mille lacs earlier this year around 1st ice, caught 1, missed one around 8lbs or so. slow day, yes, but still fun being fishing. so then i joined fm and started reading the posts on mille lacs and decided not to waste my time with the pond, and fish other lakes. well the lake kept haunting me from the memories of past years and i had to get up there again. wow, kicking myself in the *** for not getting up there because of a few reports, pulled out the gps and hit one of my favorite spots from years past, i didn't have to go any further, 2 guys a 16",17",18",20",21",2-23"s,26",27" plus we missed a bunch. not bad for cold front conditions. all fish were fat and healthy, best thing about it not a fish house within a mile. to bad we had to leave an hour after dark, sure its not as hot as last year, but still worth the trip. so if any one out there has put off fishing the pond because of negative reports, hey don't make the same mistake i did. GOOD LUCK FISHING!

only-eyes, I'm bringing some relatives to Mille Lacs this weekend for some fishing out of McQuoids. I've been bummed out while reading posts lately about nobody getting any fish/bites. Now, I'm getting excited since I read your post. Maybe I can stumble onto some fish. I know you've done your homework. Maybe I can just plain get LUCKY (never ice fish ML).

Just to add a little more positivity, I was up there 2 weeks ago with 6 guys. We only caught 6 eyes, but they ranged from 25.5" to 28". We were amazed at the size.

Hey guys,

Congradulations on the fishing. I haven't been up there since before Christmas. I know this is a shot in the dark, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but any vague clues as to where you were fishing would be nice.

Hey guys,

Sorry, double hit the botton I guess.

[This message has been edited by eye (edited 01-23-2003).]

There ARE people catching fish on Mille Lacs this year....I know someone who has actually done quite well on perch, considering that it's about the toughest part of the winter for fishing.

It's good that you got out there and created your own experience. That is what life is all about.

Dave,

I have been doing pretty good as well. The majority of the fish have come on two presentations. First, is a plan red hook and a fathead with a spit shot a good two feet above the hook, fished maybe 6 inches off bottom. The second, is a green angel eye with a fathead or shiner head, lifting it up 2 feet or more and letting it free-fall down. We have been getting perch and walldogs. Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK!

HB

HB, thanks very much for the help. I have some of the tackle you mentioned. I'll give 'em a shot. Think I'll bring some fatheads and shiners.

Are you guys that are doing well, fishing on the mud flats? I hear there are not many people out there yet and that is where I'm going to target this weekend (I'll be accessing from Myr Mar). If you have any tips on daytime techniques around the flats or when you've been fishing on top vs. the break, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave, you of all people should know better!
You shouldn't "bring" minnows to a lake (from another watershed). The bait has to be indigenous to that watershed...that's how we introduce parasites (like perch have) and other diseases into lakes where they have never had a problem before...don't buy your bait at Vados (in Spring Lake Park) and fish with them at Mille Lacs, that's potentially dangerous to Mille Lacs...

...granted, I shouldn't assume you actually meant to "bring them up". I'll give you the benefit of doubt...sorry. --AK

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-23-2003).]

Ah, AK, I actually didn't mean I was bringing them. Sory about that. I don't know if I drive out of McQuoids or Macs but will be picking them up from somewhere around there, at the lake. And, I'll bring them up to the fish house smile.gif

Why would you say 'me' of all people, anyhow. I don't fish that much.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-23-2003).]

eye, thanks for asking the question so I didn't appear "needy" wink.gif Just send the GPS cords to me guys......... grin.gif Just kiddin'

I will ask this question thou......should I just buy fatheads to use for bait?

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-23-2003).]

Ackotz sorry but i have to disagree with your statement about the buying bait in a area and assuming it came from the area where you bought it.wholesale bait dealers are always selling bait back and forth just because you buy bait in one area doesnt mean the bait came from that area.i used to sell minnows all the time that went to the millacs area and i live 100 miles from there.most of the golden shiners sold in this state come from out of state.a large portion of the suckers sold in the state come from the otertail county area (urbank bait)as far as the parasites that perch have you will find that same parasite in most all watersheds in the state.

The bait in the Mille Lacs area comes from Todd's bait in Mcgrath. Not sure what his sorces are these days. Vados gets most of thier minnows from in state. Iam sure there is nothing wrong with using those minnows. Why hasn't the DNR reported this to us? The DNR states not to dump your minnows in minnesota lakes due to possibly introducing a forgein species.
Most contaminates in the lake come from bird feces.
In the spring of the year, Vados gets their spottail shiners from a Mille Lacs trapper.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-24-2003).]

D-MAN the reason the dnr doesnt want you to pour your minnows in the lake is on the off chance there is a exotic species mixed in with the fatheads or watever you may be fishing with.there has been a law in effect for a long time that bait cant be imported into the state this was done in part to protect the wholesalers from outside the state competition. it varies from state to state as far as export rules go.minnesota and south dakota supply a large percentage of the fatheads and crappie minnows sold in the u.s when i was in buisness sold lots of minnows that went to other states in midwest alot went to florida for awhile. the golden shiners have been brought in on the sly for along time because demand cant be met by instate supply. this law may have been changed i dont know it was being worked on the last i know of. i guess i just wanted people to know that the bait can go through alot of hands before it reaches the bait shop. this has been common for many years.

Oh yes,You right it does go through alot of hands. I left live bait sales back in 99. There was still the transport law in effect. I think it may have since changed due to the low shiner populations. Iam hearing reports now that some bait stores in Mn are getting shiners from Ark and Ok? Have you heard this?

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

D-MAN didnt know you had been in the bait buisness. i left in 96. miss it sometimes but a cutthroat buis if ever there was one.dont know about ohio but arkansas for sure.dont want people to make a big deal out of the shiner deal the ones brought in are very quality stuff. if you were in bait buisness for awhile i am sure we know some of the same people.