• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Co/Angler needed

Iam looking for a co/angler for the 2003 FLW Wal-Mart RCL Walleye Tournament set for Mille Lacs lake on June 28th. The site is Mac's Twin Bay. The co/angler fee is $75. You will be placed in a drawing at the rules meeting Friday night June 27th. You will then find out who your partner is. By entering on my application form, we would both be guarenteed a spot in the tourney.

Top co/angler purse is $1,250 and a new boat. 2nd-15th is cash.

Co anglers are not to provide anything. Your partner will provide everything for you. You only provide rain gear and lunch.

Let me know if your interested or need more info.

Thanks

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-18-2003).]

I also may be interested. Please e-mail me with any info I may need. I wouldnt need to bring any of my fishing gear? How many days was it? Thanks Steve S. Superior Wi.

I realize there are a few people in front of me, but if you make it this far down the list please feel free to let me know. My e-mail is [email protected]. I would sure appreciate the opportunity. Thanks.

Sorry, I hit the button twice.

[This message has been edited by eye (edited 01-20-2003).]

D-man thanks for the info but I am going to pass sorry I didnt get back to you sooner but got a little busy I see you found a co anyway probably see you at some of the other events Thanks

I was looking at the rules for this tournament and the only boats I see as prizes are in the finals wich you have to qualify for

Anybody else interested in going as the angler, it looks like there is plenty of people who would like to sign up with you? I would register as an angler but my pro-v 1660 does not meet there 17' boat requirments, so I too would like to go as a co-angler.

Hey D-Man,

I would like to get some more information on this tournament but I can't find your e-mail. If you could let me know who/how to contact someone, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

if there are any other anglers lookin at a partner ill join in. never fished a tournament but i can catch the fish if im put near em. good fishin
morriscode you ever get in this? i know your cabin is on mille lacs.

smile.gif i wasn't sayin i would turn tourny
it would be cool one time to fish one and see what happens, or even a smaller ice fishing one. i definitely have no time to fish a tournament when i barely have time for anything else. i dont know how people fish so many tournaments, it seems it has to be their only job. good info though morris u a cool kid smile.gif when we gettin out again?

hey pig-sticka go for it. fishing tournaments is fun. and you do not have to be on daddy's bank account. I am a young guy and I work my *** off to be able to fish tournaments. I work hard to make money so I can take a little time off before a tournament. They are fun and you learn ALOT of things that will make you a better angler. dont let one person's opinion turn you off to tournament fishing. it is a good time and a great way to learn.

Morriscode,

I agree with a lot of what you posted, but I also disagree with some of your thoughts.

You're right fishing is suposed to be fun. I fish tournaments and have fun doing them. Yes, the tournament environment may need to be a little faster paced, and pre-fishing needs to be a little more serious if you want to do well, but that is my competitive nature. I also have time during the summer to take the boat out and relax with my wife. The winter provides time to take it easy, enjoy a beer, and relax as well if I want to.

Some people, including my wife, will say that at times I am not as much fun to fish with as I used to be. I have other friends that want to fish with me more because I'm learning something new every day I'm on the water. By coming with me they can absorb some of the information that I'm learning. If you want to catch fish consistently you have to be versatile and continue to absorb information. You won't find any professional fisherman saying they know everything about everything.

Hopefully some day I will have some stickers on my truck and boat. If I do, they will be sponsoring me in one way or another. If I don't, oh well. Some times the pot of gold isn't at the end of the journey, it's the journey itself. Fortunately, I can be proud to wear a Ranger hat or jacket. My teammate Scott Steil (congradulations Scott) got Ranger sposorship and is on Rangers prostaff. Scott has been working with other sponsors and potential sponsors as well. Not all people with stickers on their vehicles are just trying to look cool.

As far as:
“For one if you are off Daddy's bank account...forget it. Pre-fishing is tough when you gotta pay bills and hold a steady job. And pre-fishing IS the tournament which some people fail to realize its importance. I accept challenges, but to put myself, Mr 40hours a week barely makin it to the gas station to fill up the boat then baits and all the other stuff, against Mr get everything I want free from sponsors and companies who are willing to endorse me.....”

I work hard all summer long. Some weeks I put in over sixty-five hours in. Other weeks when I pre-fish two days I can still put in over forty hours in. I have earned everything that I have. I am proud of where I am. My Dad didn't given me one cent towards the college education that I received or my fishing expenses that have incurred. In fact my dad hasn’t talked to me in five years. The love and motivation from my mom in the past and my wife currently have gone a long ways. I am satisfied to say I am a tournament fisherman and I earn what I have whether I win or lose. Maybe you’re richening the pot for other anglers that have put in their time, or maybe you’re paying to learn something while you are on the water.

I am sorry for the long post and I didn’t mean to step on your toes. I'm just blowing off some steam. Being a co-angler for an event like this could be considered a cheap guide trip on the water. If you get a good partner you can have a real fun experience.

One mans opinion. The way I look at it is its a good day of fishing and a opportunity to learn! Thats why Im co-angling!!

Im with ya Flyingfish! At 23 yrs old, I just graduated from college, am a very reliable guide, have qualified for the RCL, and am fishing the Cabelas National Championship in Milford, Kansas, in June! I also just landed my first sponsorship and will be a member of the G-Loomis prostaff this year. All this, plus attending college full-time, and working 40 hrs a week! And Im having a blast. I was an avg fisherman until the day I fished my first local tourney. I learned more about my home water that day then I have ever learned in all my previous outings. Hey, its worth a try! If you like it, go with it, if you dont, thats fine too. Now youve heard from both sides if you havent fished a tourney before.

and then thers me,......Full time student, full time concrete worker, living on my own bank account, I would love to fish tourneys but lack the necessary time to be involved in such events. If I squeezed in tourneys there would no time for recreational fishing whatsoever. And friends and family would quickly become my acquaintences instead of close friends. Its just too serious for me, I can hear it now "hey matt, wanna go hit up lake x on saturday?" Matt replies: "No, but how would like to come prefish with me?" Not many friends would want to hear that. Gotta have your priorities straight. Whats more important to you? Alright,.... I'm really tired sorry for the blabbering

I think Flyingfish summed it up very well. I personally don't know any fisherman fishing out of there daddies pocket book. It is very easy to look at tournament fishing in a negative light. I encourage everyone to give it a try before you sit behind you computer and put down something you have never done. Get out and try it, atleast as a co-angler. This new RCL series is for weekend anglers and will give you a chance to fish with several different anglers and you don't have to put in the time it takes prefishing. A $75 guided fishing trip and a chance to get to see what tournament fishing is all about. It is for some and not for others.

If you have a passion for fishing and want to learn more about the sport in a relaxed atmosphere, check out the FishingMN LETS tournaments. Multi-species and you get to meet some great guys. Scott Steil

morris it can be done, being a college student and working and fishing. I will be graduating in may. I work sunrise to sundown in the summer months 6 days a week, then when there is a tournament on a weekend I take most of that week off so I can prefish. but the hours I put in hte rest of the time make up for it. It can be done, and when in school I always worked about 30 hours a week and would take around 20 credits on an accelerated program. anyway it sucks at the time but it is worth it to get in some fishing time.

It does stink to work your butt off to reach your goals (whatever they are) while somebody else had it handed to them on a golden platter and take it for granted. When it comes to lacking the time for everything, mix some things together. If your friends want to go fishing, take them pre-fishing with you. Yes, the environment may be a little too serious for some, but they can relax a little more, sit back, and have a drink while you're trying to put on a game face.

Some friends may not want to do it at all, but other friends will realize your passion for it and will want to help you acheive your goals. Many of my friends would love to be asked to come pre-fishing with me. I live six hours or more from a lot of my friends. Whether I tell them I have a good bite going or I tell them I would like some help pre-fishing they are happy to hop in the truck. I have a couple of buddies that are coming from northern Wisconsin to pre-fish the Illinois River with me this spring.

There are times I wish I was back by my friends where I grew up. Heck, I wish I could even live at home, not have mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utility expenses, I could even have my mom make supper and do my laundry. My families come over and visit, and I go over there and visit. It's all a matter of time and money management.

You also make new friends while fishing tournaments. There are plenty of people out there with similar interests to you that are out there to have a good time and just want to enjoy the experience. In fact, I fish against about a half dozen husband/wife teams and several father/son and brother/brother teams. Actually, I get to fish with one of my real good friends, my teamate.

Congradulations MWG. It's nice to hear you're doing well.

Maybe som friends get pissed off and don't want to prefish cause they're jealous of the other guys fishing partner. But I bet when they cool down a bit, they would still like to go no matter what.

Hey, why don't you introduce me to some of these guys.......I could use a new boat and you can never have too many lures. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Don't worry it doesn't sound like you are whining. At times the context of writing can be taken the wrong way. Normally I don't write a lot because of the fear of being misunderstood. Fishing is expensive.......hopefully someday I can make more money doing it.

[This message has been edited by flyingfish (edited 01-22-2003).]