• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red Door

Ole1855

I've got a house booked at Red Door for next weekend, I've never been there before and I would like to hear any comments that anyone has. Specifically, what shape are the houses in, I've rented at a couple of places that I was really disappointed at and I would like to avoid that happening again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ole

Do they put their house's on any flats? Do they have plowed roads out from their place? Is the fishin decent on the north end? Just wonderin, thinkin bout renting from them also.

I was there last week-end and if I remember right they their houses in the rocks ouy in front of the access. We fished at the end of Bombeck Flat in 24 ft. Saw walleyes on the camera but no takers, went home with 1 eelpout. They are nice folks at the Red door.

Ole 1855,The only comments I can give you about Red Door is when it used to be the Red eye Resort. A group of five bought a fish house stored at Red Eye and they put it out in 28ft over Small rock with a few larger boulders. We started fishing I believe New years day, now here's the fishing story We started catching fish in the morning at about 7:30 and we had 10 walleyes at four lbs two at five lbs one 6lb walleye, the rest about three lbs five guys with our limit of big fish. The biggest was 11lbs 3oz 31inch walleye caught out of my hole as I was sleeping my brother told me I had a bite. I said pull it in its probably another three pounder, he now has the fish on his wall and never lets me forget it could of been my fish, now that was 30 years ago, and as I think back of all the big fish we should of let go or just kept a few, back then it was different as far as catch and release. So ole make sure you hit the rocks maybe youll have a fish story to tell me like this. The big walleye was caught on about a six inch sucker minnow.Good luck fishing its about Fun and fellowship

The older gentleman [That looks like Hal Roach]that has the motel and bait shop connected to the Red Door is the father-in-law of the Red door owner, unless things have recently changed. A few years ago two of us were heading out and he gave us directions to a good spot. As we were unloading the portable, he drove out and told us to move about 40 feet over. He put us on a rock pile that had the flasher lit up all day with fish. Other locals have confirmed this, that he probably knows that part of the lake better than anyone else around. Probably better than I know my wife's bottom[Hey, I'm old,okay?]

When I go up to Mille Lacs All I think about is Red Door! Great fishing and people pointing you in the right direction. Great rentals also!!

crappie getter,

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it, sounds like I have a new place to go ice fishing from now on.

Ole

CG,
I'll do that, I've only gone out once this year and I'm really looking forward to a litte ice time.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 01-13-2003).]

How do you get to Red Door? I'll be coming from Duluth on Saturday and meeting some guys on the ice. IS Red Door near Garrison or Isle? Directions please, thanks!

Does anyone that fishes red door know if their are any ridges near their place. Last year I tried to use them and their brigdes were 8ft wide and had to go down the lake a little to cross.

It was smooth sailing when I was out there last monday. Ice was 14" out on the flats I'm sure their is alot more after this cold snap with little snowcover. Should be in very good shape.

crappie getter,

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

I just booked a sleeper house with Red Door. Talked to Fred on the phone, he sounds like a real nice guy. I have never fished out of Red Door before, but have always heard good things about them. So I figured to give them a shot. I'm really excited to get out on Mille Lacs this will be my first trip up there this year, even if the fishing is a little tough. Should be a good trip. If anyone has been fishing out of Red Door that has any information(like what's working baits/lures and maybe jigging techniques etc.) they wouldn't mind sharing I would be much appreciative. Thanks!

I second that notion for help at Red Door. I'm planning on going out from there Saturday (1/18). Wondering if

A. Can drive vechiles , to be exact trucks
B. How far out on the ice
C. Fatheads vs. Shiners

All the help would be appreciated.
-B

I just double checked with Red Door, the ice conditions and they are driving out with plenty of 19" - 20" of good ice. They said there might be even more than that today because of how cold it's been. I was a little nervous driving my new truck on the ice for the first time this upcoming weekend, but with 20" of ice I feel a lot better about it. Good luck to everyone that get's out this weekend!

fatheads vs. shiners??? i was on the lake wed. night deadstick with shiners, and jigging with the heads of fat heads caught about 10 fish no slots all 22-28, you had to work, probally moved 12 times on the south side. good luck, the ice is in great cond.

[This message has been edited by looking 4 a 30 (edited 01-16-2003).]

The ice is 18-22". I was driving my truck on the ice, 3 miles out from shore, last weekend and there were others farther out than that.

Small shiners on set lines EARLY in the am (like 3am to 6am) are working and vertical presentations with minnow heads are also working when jigging...

Thanks for all the help guys. Just talked with folks at Red Door and I'll be there in the morning. I'll post when I get back and give you a report.
CROSS THEIR EYES!

I've got my fingers crossed to pick-up an EYE 18" or bigger as I have never done that through the ice.
-B

Thanks for all the help guys. Just talked with folks at Red Door and I'll be there in the morning. I'll post when I get back and give you a report.
CROSS THEIR EYES!

I've got my fingers crossed to pick-up an EYE 18" or bigger as I have never done that through the ice.
-B

Crappie Getter,
I got to Red Door at noon on Fri., We fished from noon Fri. until 6:00 p.m. on Sat. we ended up with 1 pout!!!! I had my camera along and on Fri. we saw 2 walleyes, that was it, no perch or anything else. I fried the wiring on the power cord on Sat. so we couldn't watch the camera, but nothing showed up on the Vex. either. We had 7 guys, and we caught 1 pout, not good.

I will have to say, the people at Red Door are real nice, the house we stayed in was very nice and well kept, just wish we could have got a few fish.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 01-19-2003).]

Here's the report from Red Door. I really must say that the Folks at the Red Door are very nice and run a good shop. I was very impressed with their resort and service. We started fishing around 6:30 on Saturday night and left at 10:00 Sunday morning. There were three of us and ended up with 7 fish.

1 - 26" Walleye Weight 6 pounds
1 - 25" Walleye
2 - 20" Walleye
1 - 19" Walleye
1- 16" Walleye a Keeper!
and 1 Pout

Not bad for a night of fishing. We were way out there on the flats with only one other house nearby. I think that was the ticket, getting away from the crowds and fishing your own water. There are plenty of Mud Flats out there I would encourage to blaze your own trail and try some of those flats you've always wanted to fish. It's a great(No Snow year) to do it. Anyway the technique that was working the best was the set lines on rattle reels with a medium to small shiner. Glow jigs worked best at night. We had an aqua-view down in the morning and saw a few really nice Walleye's probably in the 20" - 26" range. They didn't like anything moving real aggressively. I had the aqua-view pointing down the hole on my jig and a big Walleye came and put his nose on it but wouldn't take it in. When I tried to jiggle it and he backed off and swam away. We tried spoons and could call the walleye's in with them but they would just come up to it take a look and leave. If you are planning to be out there soon I would put down the set lines and play cards and sit back, relax and hopefully catch some fish.

WalleyeNate

Fished out of the Red Door Sunday night Monday morning. Got a 20" and a 23". Looking through my Aqua View there were several occasions where a big walleye or jumbo perch would come up and bump my minnow but not take it. The fish are down there, just not hungry yet. I also used a jigging spoon to call'em in. Stop jigging and let'em check out the minnow on a plain red hook and raddle wheel. Check with Fred at the resort. He always tries to put you on fish.

Was out of Red door thursday (1/23). Fished Weimer flat both on and off the flat...1 tulibee and 1 14 in eye...both caught in 28 ft off NE tip of Weimer at about noon. Also fished 30 ft of water of the east side of East flat...1 tulibee and 1 24 in walleye...caught about 3:00 pm. Stayed in rental on north tip of Weimer flat thursday night...had 5 short hits on rattle wheels with shiners...they would hit it...rattle wheel would go off for a few spins...then nothing. NO PERCH all day thursday/thurs nite/friday...quit fishing noon friday. Red door is great place tho...Fred is great guy...dnr creel survey guy talked with us friday morning...he said who ever is catching any perch was catching them on larvae...none being caught with minnow heads.

Anyone care to comment on Lybacks? How the fishing is etc. I will be out there next weekend (Fri till Mon) Skip down to the next topic and let me know! Thanks!