• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Boat

Benfishin

With the hard water I know this is a strange post but my wife gave me the nod to upgrade my 16 foot Lund Rebel. With the boat show's right around corner and my wife's history of changing her mind I need some quick advice. I like the Lund and I have my eye on the 17 foot Angeler tiller or a smaller Pro-V tiller. From some posts earlier I know everyone recommends to max out the HP on the motor. I do most my fishing on Mille Lacs and want a boat big enough to handle the lake. Any suggestions?

I'm sure you'll get some response here, but you might want to ask this same question in the "Expert Information Forum". I can't give you any input since I've basically got the same thing you do right now!

Good luck.

I would seriously look into a used fiberglass boat for Mille Lacs. I fished up there for years with a Pro-V and it was a nice boat, but I was always wet. I switched over to a Warrior and I am dry and have a smooth ride. I would suggest looking at some of the different boats out there and find something that fits your needs. I know that the prices of used Pro-V's and used fiberglass boats are not that far off.

And you talked about motor size. I have a 18.5 foot Warrior with a 90 Merc tiller on it and I wish I had a 115 four stroke on it. I would suggest maxing out the HP on any boat, especially for Mille Lacs.

I have a 2002 lund pro angler with a 2002 60 horse 4 stroke that I need to get rid of. Has only 100 or so hours. Great boat on Mille Lacs. If your interested let me know.

Hammer em'
That Pro Angeler is a 16 foot boat, right? I want atleast a 17 footer!!

CM Winter
What kind of motor do you have? Is that 75 enough? Isn't that rated for a 90?

Thanks for the info!!

Yup,
16' 6". It is a very nice boat. No taxes!!! If you reconsider, let me know.

Benfishin, Rapid Sports has been having a tent sale for a few weeks now. Save you thousands off on 2002 models and demo boats. They have a great selection and can set you up with a great Mille Lacs boat. I am looking to upgrade myself from a 2000 Lund 1650 AnglerSS to a 1775 or 1800 ProV. I have a Merc 90 with SS prop. It will hit 44 mph fully loaded. But Like you, I get wet on Mille Lacs often. I would recommend the Pro-V or the new 18ft Mr Pike or even the new 1800 Explorer. They are wider and dryer than ever. And max the hp, you'll be glad you did.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 01-03-2003).]

I have a merc 2 stroke. The 1700 angler is only rated for an 80hp. But with the 75 it will do 35-38 mph.

I run a 1775T Skeeter tiller with a 80hp Yamaha 4-stroke tiller. Great boat and a great ride, but still get a bit wet when running in rough water at higher speeds. As far as price goes they are really close to the 1775 pro-v tiller. I paid 18,000 in 2001 at the sportsman show and that included a lot of extras.

Don't think there are any wrong answers just whats right for you. Many who have the Pro-Vee love it. You do have a tendency to get wet and I don't like it for kids because of the high platform and concern about falling in during rough water. I have found the Lund Tyee to be a great all around boat for fishing big and small water, water skiing, etc. Very safe for the kids and mine is pretty maneuverable with both electric and gas trolling motors. Also, alumacraft makes some nice rigs.

got a skeeter 1850, 175 yami doin' the pushin'. if you are looking for a big water boat, I would go glass. these seem to be the driest and most stabile in rough water that I have owned. I have had many aluminum boats, but my skeeter puts them thangs to shame. its amazing of the comments I get from other fisherman in my boat, about how smooth and comfy this thing is.
p.s. solo, I can get 60 mph out of this rig.

I run a Crestliner Pro Am with a 75 hp tiller 17 ft. very deep and wide. welded aluminum hull seems more stable and quite on the water than some larger lunds and it runs cheaper on the $.

I used a Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk this past summer on Mille Lacs even did some guiding and tournament fishing out of it. The boat handled most conditions fine and was decent to fish out of. This next year though I am moving up to a Warrior 2090. Like the other post said - glass is the best way to go on large lakes like Mille Lacs.

If your interested in the Crestliner - check out the used gear forum.

How are you going to fish it and where are you going to fish it are the two biggest questions to ask yourself. Comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges the weight difference between upper end glass boats and tin boats are not that far apart I myself have a lund 1775 pro v tiller with a 75 hp and yea it can be a wet ride but as D man said what tiller boat isn't the driver is going to see spray.If you can swing it get the longest boat you can afford the longer the boat the smoother the ride but what you get in ride you may sacrifice in boat control kind of a catch 22. The thing that keeps me in tin is I am not afraid of beaching my boat for a land break or shore lunch. I think glass boats are a beautiful thing but the maintenance is a bit higher than I would like. also I would not be afraid of shopping around for a used rig you can save a lot of money just on the sales tax alone and there are a lot of quality rigs available out there

Benfishin...I run a 2001 1775 ProV with a 75hp Merc 4 stroke tiller on it and fish all over including: Brainerd lakes area, Alexandria chain, Leech, Cass, Winni, Mille Lacs as well as smaller local lakes around the Hutchinson area. The boat performs excellent and fits my needs very well. I will admit that at times I wouldn't mind a larger rig (19 footer with a larger tiller). This may also be do to my increased involvement with tournament fishing when you have to be out there. I would venture to say that there isn't a tiller model made that is going to give you a dry ride in all circumstances. From the sounds of things, my suggestion to you is to get the largest Pro V model with the largest hp motor on it that the ol' pocketbook will allow. The 1775 would be an excellent choice. You will be in heaven going from a Rebel to a Pro V. I would put a 4 stroke on it they are sweet motors. Another piece of equipment that I wouldn't be without is my Minnkota Vantage trolling motor on the back. Ask your dealer about it and they will describe the benni's. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies! Interesting to read all the differing opinions. I am pretty much sold on Lund and a tiller. I am not sure if I need all the bells and whistles that a Pro-V has. As far as getting a little wet in a tiller, I've been soaked in a Rebel for years and it hasn't bothered me. Can I tow a 17 Lund Angler or a 1775 Pro-V with a Ford Explorer?(6 cyl) Is there much different in weight between the two? Also, what would a 1993 Rebel tiller with a 30 Hp Yamaha(1993) be worth? Eagle graph, no trolling motor. Good condition.

[This message has been edited by Benfishin (edited 01-06-2003).]

I fish Mille Lacs quite a bit and I upgraded from a Rebel a few years back to a Pro-V 1775 SE counsel with a 115 Johnson. Love the boat but wished I had gone name plate on the motor(couldn't afford it at the time). Thinking of upgrding this year to the Pro-V 1900 with a 200hp.

When I was upgrading, I was looking at glass and the salesman asked me if I had something to trade and I told him I didn't think I'd have any trouble selling it on my own. He said, "Oh, you must have a Lund".

You can't go wrong with a Lund!

The Spook

Benfishin....I think that the Angler would be an excellent choice! It is a very nice boat as well. Width and length nearly same as Pro V. Weight is less then a 1775 ProV and cost should be a bit lower as well. The Explorer may be snorting some with either of the two rigs in my opinion (depends on the size of the 6 cyl). I would get a least a 60hp on the back and as I said on my last reply look at those Minnkota Vantage trolling motors for the back as well. 24V with 74lbs of thrust will pull that boat around in very big waves with no problems. Another opinion that I have is to get a Lowrance LCX-15MT GPS/Sonar unit in the new rig. Easy to run and saves you a lot of time finding spots. Buying a new boat is a rush. Good Luck!!!

I have the Lund Explorer and like it alot. The 1800 is longer and wider than the Angler and weighs less which may help in pulling with a V6. I know your stuck on a tiller,my buddy was too until he rode in a counsel boat. Like WaveWacker said above, a good transom tiller trolling motor can give you the mobility you need. I run the 101# 36 volt Vantage and can bang waves all day long. The most important factor to consider which ever boat you buy is not to cheat yourself on your locator. I see to many guys with a boat that cost them thousands of dollars and yet they spend $200 on a locator that they will use more than the motor on the boat itself.

As far as your Rebel. Assuming its a 16 foot.
$2800.00 boat/motor/trailer. Low end

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Benfishin,
I would have to give another vote to the Pro-V with the new hull design.

Regardless of which boat you ultimately decide on, consider attending the upcoming Boat Show. With several dealers all in the same room, you can effectively and conveniently price shop. Furthermore, after you have narrowed your search and reached an agreed price, dealers will often times throw in the little extras to get your business. Those extras are most certainly, always negotiable! For example: selected electronics and their installation, spare tire and bracket or a custom fit boat cover. Don’t be afraid to tell the dealer exactly what their competitors are willing to do for you. Then ask them to beat it! These are the things that will make or break the deal since at this point prices should be fairly close.
This is the fun part: going from dealer to dealer, knowing that in a matter of a few short hours you are going to have yourself a brand-spankin new boat that you got for a great deal and all the “free stuff” too! Makes me want to do it all over again!

Finally, I used to pull a Pro-V 1775 with a Blazer that had a 4.3, V-6. That definitely taxed the motor.

Good luck, have fun & let us know what you end up with.

<;))))><

[This message has been edited by Johnny B (edited 01-08-2003).]

The 17 foot angler tiller is a nice rig, but it depends on how you like to fish? Is the boat primarely for big water? Do you head in when it gets rough or do you like to bounce the waves? I have a lund 1650 pro-v and it works on Milly, even in rough water, but it is too small for a serious angler. Sure you can get by but you will really regret not having more boat if you like to stay out all day. I really wish I had a minimum of 18 but probably the lund 1900 for this lake. As for the argument of getting wet, tiller are deffinetely worse for that, but I don't care what people tell you, if you are hitting 4 foot rollers at 20+ mph you are going to get wet no matter what you run. I have a tiller and will probably get a consel for the next boat for both speed and comfort.

Benfishin unless you get a trailer equipped with trailer brakes I wouldn't attempt pulling a ton of boat and equipment with something as light as an explorer. Not only would you be taxing the motor and drivetrain you would probably go through a set of brake shoes every other trip

Benfishin, I own a warrior 2090 with a 125hp tiller and I fish rainy Lake and alot of big water like Mille lacs fiberglass will give you a very nice ride and dry, and safe. You want to look at the beam width larger beam is better look and compair at the boat show if you plan on keeping it think about spending as much as you can for comfort. Warrior has a web site with used boats for sale check it out. Try www. warrior .com Good luck, Warrior also has great resale value.

------------------
Advanced Angler& guide

Johnny B Read your post your right on it is fun buying a new boat,LOL on that one work those dealers over and get the free perks. Have Fun Good fishing

------------------
Advanced Angler& guide

i have to say i am so happy with my boat
i am running a 1900 pro v ifs
with a 200 optimax 15 kicker
74 lb genesis
and 2 x-15's
the full windshield on the pro v body was a dynamite idea
i really am surprised that more people dont have these??
any reason to this ??
i rarely get wet and i dont have a fear of the big water it handles great
i would recommend it to anyone
ice fishing is fun but i do miss letting her rip across that big water

Well fella's I just got back from the Boat Show and I'm happy to say I got the boat I wanted. I decided on the 1700 Angler with a 75 Yammi 4-stroke. 2400# Shorelander trailer w/ swing tongue. Minnkota 55lb Auto Pilot trolling motor, Lowrance X71 locator, wave wackers, three seats, travel cover plus a $500 Rapala package that Lund is throwing in. Of course a couple hats and jackets. Any guesses on price? I had a ball and thanks for all the tips. They sure came in handy!! Can't wait to get er on the water!!

I bet the smile never left your face on the drive home!

I’m glad that you were able to get the most out of your $.
When you’re spending that kind of dough (17k?), its nice to have them cough-up as much as possible.
Where did you end up buying from?