• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing the Flats and Spirit Island.

Pauly B

Just wondering if anyone has been out to Fletchers flat or any of the other surrounding flats. I was also wondering about Spirit Island. I know that in the past there have always been perch around Spirit. How about this year? I am looking to fish Mille Lacs with a buddy and my brother before I return to college. We want to try for perch and walleye. If the walleye bite is not happening then we could go strictly for perch. Can anyone help me out? It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. I will trade quardinates for a flat that is awsome later in the year. It always produces when we hit it right. Big walleyes and a few perch. I won't be around this year to fish it anyway. Thanks. email me if you would like.

Here's a report I've been re-printing all night long. Just got it today from Lundeens Tackle Castle...

"The ice thickness has improved a little since last week - up to 11 inches on much of the main lake. There are still some pressure ridges to be reckoned with, so we recommend that you travel during the daylight - just as we have the past few weeks...Some are letting people drive out, others are still requiring ATV's, snowmobiles or shuttles. The bays along the south end have up to 15 inches and vehicle travel is common. Overall, things are shaping up from the past few weeks.

Conditions are changing daily...

The walleye bite has improved A LITTLE - scattered reports of multiple fish (a decent ratio inside the slot!) have been trickling in, but most are still finding the walleye bite slower than normal. 18-22 feet has been the best range, 25-28 the next. Vineland Bay, Garrison Reef and 9-mile flat are good starting spots. Shiners on a set line are your best bet overnight, and Hawger Spoons or Weasels tipped with a piece of a minnow are
tops during the day.

There are a ton of small perch with a handful of jumbos mixed in coming from the South Bays.
Northern pike fishing is decent in
these bays too.

There is currently no significant snow on the ice..."

It will be very tough to get to Spirit right now until the pressure ridge heals up. Probably a good week before vehicles can cross,..thats if it even heals up. I think you need to get on the lake way over on the south side and the come out to the Island from there.

DON'T TRY THIS IN THE DARK!! There are many ridges right now and with this fresh snow you probably won't see them. Be very careful!

Pauly
I fished just past spirit island yesterday and the ice is pretty heaved up. Definitly watch where you are going. As far as ice there was 10-12 inches where we were. Fishing was good. 25 walleyes with eight slot fish for three guys with some nicer ones also. We never caught or seen any perch though. we accessed from the south end. hope this helps

Hey Rocky and others,
Thanks for the reply's. You think I should go on the ice on the south side. Which resort did you use to get on the ice? Rocky did you drive a car out there or were you still sticking to atv's or snowmobiles? It sounds like the fish might be starting to bite. I hope so. I don't mean to steal anyone's spot, but are the walleyes still in about 18-22 feet or have they moved out to about the 28 foot range? During the day I am talking about. Thanks for all the help and I hope you guys do awsome. Rocky what is your email? Thanks Paul B

Pauly
We went out of brandts on the south side. The road was marked out to sloppy joes but as of sat they were not allowing vehicles on yet. We had to use a four wheeler. The fish we caught were in deeper water, 25-32 feet and were caught from 1:30 to 5:30 in the afternoon. I can't tell you exactly where we were (my buddies would hurt me) but we were all by ourselves on a spot that had not even had a hole drilled on it yet this year. My best advice to you would be to get away from the crowds. With the size and the endless structure this lake provides you can always get away from the crowds which I believe increases your chances of catching fish dramatically, especially on this lake. To be honest though with all the negative reports I was hearing before we went up we were not expecting the fishing we had, but we must have got lucky and hit it just right. good luck and happy new year