• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dickies Portside

Reef Runner

Hey there all,

I just booked a eight hole house out of Dickies for me and my buddies. We are going up on the 17th of Jan. I am already very excited. I hear they are catching some perch up there. I was just wondering if anyone had some inside tips for us. Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Dickies Portside treats people well. They have big houses. Dickies is one of the best blue collar places for ice anglers on Mille Lacs.

You can get more info and book by going to:
http://dickiesportside.com

As for perch fishing, Mille lacs has a huge crop of small perch. The walleyes have easy pickings on them right now which may make them difficult to catch because they are so well fed right now.

There are some very nice Jumbo perch to be had. They are scattered in small schools. You have to search for them. They are notorious for roaming the mud or soft sand and feeding in it. Flat areas close to structure are normally a good place to start. However, they will roam the huge expanses of what I call "No man's land".

This means you have to be mobile and keep looking until you find the Jumbos. Not an easy task, but the opportunity to get lucky with a little knowledge is there.

Hey there Rick. ice to meet you. hehe
Well thanks for the info. I will let you all know how it goes when we get back.

reefer,
I am bring up a group of 6 to dickies that same weekend. I have made countless day trips out of there and have never had a bad experience. Look for the giant hanging out with a bunch of midget Iowans and let us know how yer doin'

Fished out of dickies on Thursday, first time I had ever been there. They are very friendly people. We marked alot of fish but they were a bit fussy, only kept 5 jumbos for the table. We did catch a lot of smaller ones but we really had to work at it. Seems like the perch were biting better with almost no movement as opposed to jigging.Waxies on yellow/glow jigs{small ice} worked over the fatheads.Good luck fishing!!!

just got home from a weekend at dickies,our house was on about 10ft of water and rocks.musta been up on a hump it was deeper outside the house, could see bottom no problem, kinda bummed me out cause i had kids with and ya know they are not the most quiet creatures around.got a few decent perch friday afternnon late and a 18" walleye at about 7pm.saturday went out by hennepin island in the afternoon, got nothing.got a 22" eye saturday nite bout 7;30 one of the kids caught it after i suggested we play the quiet game. all and all we had a ggod time. good luck to all

HEy thanks to all for all the great input. I went threw all the fishing gear this weekend in antisapation of the big trip. Lokks like we might even get to use an aqua view. I can't wait. well keep us informed. See you around.

Hey all,
I am booked for the same weekend(17-19). Just four of us coming up from Iowa. We will be in a red Suburban. First time up there during ice season. Where is the best bar and eating joint from Dickies? Thanks for any info.JD

Hey there Niteeye
I also have 4 going up there. Not sure on the bar qestion. This will be my first time out of Dickies. Looks like they are a great place to go out of. Only two weeks left before the weekend without the women starts. Thanks to everyone for all the fishing info. It helps a ton to know what we are walking in to for fish. Does anyone know if they have bait there or should we pick it up on the way?

You can get bait at Johnson's portside which is right at the turn off for dickies. As far as bars go, I know that the Municiple Liquor store in Isle is a fun time, if you can wade throught all of the pull tabs laying on the floor. Yeah, My crew is fired up and raring to go as well. I have only been out once so far this year, and I am really itching to get out again that weekend. Like I said earlier, I will be the giant hanging out with a couple of midget Iowan's that weekend......Odds are, all of our ice houses will be close together anyway, probably around hennipen island. If that is the case, about 1/4 mile straight east of the island it drops off to about 30 feet...north of the island is a nice big rock area, rocks about the size of your fist to head, in about 15-22 feet. I don't even need a GPS to find these spots now, I just need fish zinging my drag!!!!

Oops, I mean straight west of the island and in fact it is probably closer to 1/2 to a mile....It is all different when you're in a boat. If there is not a lot of snow and driving is easy, to the northeast of hennipen there is Doe Island. saw the largest walleye of my life caught around that island. I suggest you get a reel bottom map of a walleye sniffer map and look at the coordinates for the GPS, they are suprisingly accurate

Hey there,
I just called up to Dickies and they said we will be in house # XX. I was just wondering if anyone has been in this house? Less than Two weeks to go!!! Yea!! Boy I can't wait. Hope to see you all there. Maybe we can all have a beer and BS about the one that got away.

Hey Reef... Guess Who.

I didn't think we'd be drinking or anything, especially being up there over sunday and all. Maybe I should just bow out.

(My religion doesn't permit me to drink beer on Sun. Only Jack.)

[This message has been edited by BigJay (edited 01-06-2003).]

Hey Big Jay I did not expext to see you here. Well welcome to FM. I think you will like it here. See you up there. I will bring the Jack. Although we may need more than one bottle due to the fact my tolerance is so high these days

Kev,

Yer a punk, a sawed off little punk....If I'm in your ice house, it won't blow and slide around the lake like it did last year.
No I'm not under an 1/8 of a ton either, but thanks for reminding.....I'm my ideal weight if I was 6'14"

Reef/Big Jay: JD, I'm in, I'll have my own bottle......I'll find out next week what cabin we are in, From what I have seen in other pages, they haven't moved the ice houses out that far yet, I suppose there is a huge pressure ridge at Hennipen Island, there always is....couple years ago, it heaved up about 3-4 feet, and that is what you drove over!!!!!

Good thing... I get pretty possesive with the Ol' JD.

This is my first time ice-fishing BTW... Should be fun, but I'm gonna need alot of practice before I can cast into those little holes. wink.gif

Thanks for the info fellas. We are looking forward to moving around during the day and can't wait to see a big eye come through the hole! We will definitely be hoisting a few but only when we are awake. Can't drink ALL the time. See ya JD

A BEER??????? I will have that taken care of by 7 am....But yeah, we should try to hook up around Hennipen Island or something.. What does the snow situation look like up there now. No snow means more access to the flats

Beer? No one said anything about beer. I am not sure if I want to go anymore wink.gif

You under an 1/8th of a ton yet, Pick? not sure if I want to share a hut with you.

Big Jay,

You don't really think the reason 50,000 people fish on Mille Lacs every weekend is to catch fish do you? I didn't think so.....

Has anyone called and asked Dickies about ice conditions and how far out they let you drive? We have portables, and would love to drive our cars instead of hauling them the old fashioned way...Yeah it would be great if we had an ATV, and monkey's might fly out of my .... if my wife let me buy one of those. That would be too convenient...

New subject, anyone here ice fished on Lake of the Woods before? I have been reading a lot of ads and the prices they ask for for three days/2 night deals.. I know it is a long drive, but is it productive?

Hey there Pigs,

I called Dickies yesterday and she said they had 14 inces of good ice. I am not sure how far out they are but she said they are out past Hennepinn island. Has anyone found out what there house number is yet?

I went out yesterday on a local lake just to see if I rememberd how to ice fish. We put out 6 tip ups with shinners on. We had 10 flags and brought in 6 Norterns. 2 to 5 pounds. Boy that was sure fun!!

Well If anyone is up there this weekend, let us know how you did.

If by "catch fish" you mean getting drunk and passing out on the ice, then yea thats what I pretty much figured.

BTW: Does puking in the hole count as chumming?

Just called Dickies to confirm things for next weekend. The lady I spoke with said they have golden shiners and waxies. The Conoco station in front of Dickies has fathead minnows and licence. There is a bar and place to eat at the resort next to them. You don't have to leave the ice to get there.She also said they had roads out to the flats(9 mile I think).

Hello to all,
Well this is the week we head up to Dickies!!! Can't wait!! So was anyone up there last weekend? I have heard that Golden Shinners are the trick. We head up on Friday night. Hope to see all there.

Just talked with the resort, our crew will be in cabin #30...she said that the fish are out there, but they are still being finiky... I figure I'll bring some dynamite, or just drop a car battery down there, that should do the trick..

Safe journey to everyone, see ya all there

picksbigwagon: CHeck the LOW forum page, it should give you the answer to your questions on that lake. It is a great trip. A long ride yes but well worth it. Bill Turck, St Cloud

I just put my fish house out of there last weekend caught 4 eyes over two days got them all on shinners and a plan hook

Z

Thanks for the info Z-Boy. We leave tomarrow.
Looks like we should bring pleny of Jack. How about the perch? are they bitting on waxies? Well I guess we will see you all up there.

going to dickie's on sunday, so save some for me! also, if you guys happen to get back by sunday morning, i'd sure be interested in hearing your report, thanks and good luck.