• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Reports

Mr. Pike1

BradB
That's a good report you put out. Thanks! The best I've heard for eyes is 7 or 9 mile. Perch..you were in as good a location as any that I've heard. Maybe the deeper gravel out to the west of you would be worth a shot in the day time. One thing about holding out in the permanent is comfort. I've been battling the wind in the portable and it sounds like a 50 mph wind in the woods. Good Luck!

BradB,
Hey I also fish out of MTB grin.gif . Our houses must me next to each other. I am also on Hawksbill (sp). I am on about 19 feet of water and am jigging a glow in the dark virtical jig tipped with colored larva. I also did well with my Silver Sweetish Pimple tipped with Colored larva. Nothing of size but at lease I was not bored/watching sat. TV! smile.gif DNR stopped by last weekend and said if I was to take that same set up to about 10 feet of water and over rocks, I could catch keepers all day long! I am thinking about bringing the portable up this weekend and try moving around and hitting the shallows. Last weekend I did try getting to the deeper water around us (24-26 feet) and came up with only a couple in a about 45 min frown.gif . Let’s keep it up.

Charles

* Keep the lines tight!

We fished out of Baranacles yesterday in 28 feet out of the permanent shack. Marked fish all day long, couldn't hardly get a thing to bite no matter what we switched to. We got a tullibee on a euro, a broken line on a shiner (not sure what that was - we were sort of screwing around at that point), and a couple of bites at dusk with a small fathead on a plain hook, resulting in a 24" walleye. Hopefully, action will pick up.

waterfowler, I would think you could. The problem is the pressure ridges, really no good way around them. The ice should be fine for it but ya get out 2 miles then ya hit a ridge that runs 5 miles and well you get the point, kinda like roadblocks out there. I would be interested to hear if anyone has driven out to the Mud.

morriscode

i was up yesterday, out of red door, did poorly, put my permanent in 24 feet-bad decision? maybe- saw resort pulling several shacks out to the mud, looks like there is at least 30 to 40 shacks on Weimer? flat (sse of red door). Now im thinkin i should have put my shack on the mud as well

To get out to the mud is boarderline. I would talk to the local resorts b4 you venture out. On the east side the ice is 15 inches thick a full 2 miles out. There is very little for pressure ridges on the lake. The ice this year is good and black. I would be a little wary though I havent seen many trucks heading out that far just ATV's. If I were you I would go there should be enough ice. Just check with the locals.

Iceeyes--I know what you are saying about wind and I'm a saavy veteran of many windy days in a portable. After a few different tries I came up with a great solution. I drilled two holes in the bottom of my house that are the same diameter as Smiley's Ice Screws. These ice screws are what ice climbers use to rope into vertical ice and are super cool tools. They have a slick organ grinder knob that screws them in and out. Basically, they are very strong stainless steel tubes with sharp cutting teeth and grooves. They go for about $35 a pop and you get them from climbing stores. They are very strong and I bet you could screw them into the ice, and then use a come-along to pull a stuck truck out. Anyway, I just screw them through the holes in the floor and that house is not going anywhere. They go in and out very fast. They're about the neatest tool I own.

Invadersmn--Maybe I am the guy right next to you. I came over and talked to a guy sitting out on the ice using a swedish pimple (pimplar they call it in Sweden). Are you in the house with flower boxes that used to say "Goff's" on it?

Good luck fellas. Let's figure those walleyes out.

Brad

[This message has been edited by BradB (edited 01-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by BradB (edited 01-02-2003).]

Was out of Lyback's on Monday and just about got blew off the lake in my portable. 3 of us caught 3 in the slot and 21 jumbos. Funny thing was we moved a lot and stayed away from most people but needed to come back to our original spot to catch most of the fish. Fished all day 8am-6pm so all in all it was pretty slow but still was surprised by the quality of perch. Never hurts to have a little luck on the slot walleye.

The best fishing right now is on the edges and drops of mud flats for myself and others. The so called "numbered" flats seem to be producing right now

Which access or resort do people leave from to get out to the mud flats? I have only fished the mud in the summer and would like to give the mud a try this weekend. Would be taking a 4-wheeler out.

Thanks, dk

BradB
Nope. I am in a Brown 10x18 perm off of road X. and have a Fish Trap 2. Going to try to hit the shallows and punch a few holes in the ice and move until I find them. Dad was up there from Tuesday - Thursday and cought some jumbo perch out of the perm house. I should be up there by 5-6 tonight catching fish! wink.gif

Charles

BradB
Nope. I am in a Brown 10x18 perm off of road X. and have a Fish Trap 2. Going to try to hit the shallows and punch a few holes in the ice and move until I find them. Dad was up there from Tuesday - Thursday and cought some jumbo perch out of the perm house. I should be up there by 5-6 tonight catching fish! wink.gif

Charles

Fished the east side Friday all day, caught a few midday just as the front was coming through,but the evening bite was hottt, caught 2 slots and 20+ fish over 20", it was a blast, biggest was 27" and fat. Also fished all day today and caught 3 this moring and couldnt even see a fish midday or evening, what a difference a day can make. I brought a few buddies out today on the same spot and as usual, a day late.

remember to: "CROSS THEIR EYES"

Fished out of Mac's Twin Bay Sat got one 26" eye in 30 ft nw of hennipen island on green weasle with minnow head also caught one jumbo perch in 17 ft on 1st reef comming out from mac's. fished from 7:00 am to 2: pm pretty slow day

fished all morning
up by the rocks around red door
caught one perch and a eel pout
what a worthless day
i saw fish all morning and not one would bite
is there any hope for this lake this winter ??
i am out of ideas right now

Fished from Friday 4:00 P.M. until Sunday Morning. One BITE! Just like you I saw a lot of small perch, couple nice jumbos and a few small eyes but could'nt get anything to bite. I bet we tried over a 100 different jigs/lures with nothing. Even brought some crayfish tails with us ( do pretty good on them by us) with no luck.

was out this weekend out liberty beach saturday was very slow but sunday 8-11 am we got 2 eyes 26 and a 21 the 21" had some of its guts hanging out and we missed three more fish. we were fishing in 18ft. with a rocky bottom

z-boy

Fished out of Red-door at the far south tip of Bombeck Flat 22 ft, 3 guys, 2 houses, 26 hours, 1 pout, rattles went off 3 times overnight but no fish. Had a great time with my son, his dog, and his next door
neighbor.
seeyainthewoods bowhunter

My fishing buddy Dave and I were out of Lyback's Friday and Saturday. We were in about 25 feet with a camera. We saw numerous small perch and a few few jumbos. Dave manned the camera and defined the experience as a "new level of frustration". We saw fish all day long but could not get them to bite. We finally did pick up 4 jumbos and one 15" slotter. Hopefully things will pick up.

4 guys fished Sat from 3-9pm on 4-mile gravel out of Brandt's. Caught 2 (16.5" and 22'') and had one other bite. Small shiners and a plain red hook seemed to be the ticket.

KEEPANDEAT(the name has poache written all over it) you have no clue what you are talking about. First of all there are thousands of houses on the lake, no clue what you are talking about, second of all three walleyes is very good since the perch hatch is high this year, the walleye our feeding on those, and so what if the bite sucks good dont head up there, if the fishing is always great there guess what the fishing will be like this weekened for ever in a few years. I would appreciate if you some since of what you were talking about beore you started blabbing. I cauht one walleye and two perch this weekened, not many people got a bite i really find it hard to believe you caught that but if you did thats great, anyway get your information straight before you talk moron.

Hey Mr. Pike, hows it going. Well the report is not to great sorry to say, but stay patient. Alot of people were on the rocks and getting one here and there, it was hit or miss, only a brief sunset and sunrise bite if there was one. We used three different baits between us, fatheads, shinners, and waxi's(mostly for perch). Our group of five ended up with two jumbo perch and two walleyes only one in the slot the other was like twelve inches. Um the fish seemed to look at the sweetish pimple type lure the best with a waxi or a minnow tail. The walleye's were caught on a small jig head with a bobber and fathead. It was rocks in about 24 ft. of water. Um the flats are drivable now at least to my standards and with a cold week up there the ice is looking real good.A few northerns on tip-ups were taken i know, one twenty pounder. I think on the rocks not exactly sure. Well good luck.

mgfishermanmsky, thank you for the feedback. We may give it a try this weekend. I have heard different reports but for the most it seems slow. I will continue to work the southside and hope for a hot bite....The best part is spending time with friends and meeting other guys on the lake that have the same passion as I for the sport. If you catch fish that is a bonus..

I moved out to the gravel this weekend and did somewhat better. The fish liked the rattle reel presentation the best. A #4 Gamikatsu walleye wide-gap hook with one red bead on the 4# fluorocarbon line above seemed to do the trick. And fatheads.

Nothing during the daylight hours, all at night. Runs between 7 and 9 pm, then again 1:30 to 3:30 AM.

Good luck,

Brad