• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
cubbies11

New Anglers to Mille Lacs

cubbies11

Just wondering if anyone would have any advice for a first time venturer to this lake? What bait, lures, locations, or just access to the lake, where can i get on?

Cubbies

Eastwind

Cubbies,

The best way to access is through any of the resorts that have maintained roads. This is by far the safest way and the easiest to avoid getting lost if you're out after dark. Stay on the roads when you are travelling from place to place as Mille Lacs has lots of cracks and ice heaves throughout the winter. I look at the walleye wiffer map ( a great source of potential spots) and choose a resort that is closest to where I want to fish. Generally you will want to fish rocks and/or breaks early and then mud flats as the year goes on. I have my best luck using a jigging spoon like a swedish pimple, Acme Kastmaster etc. with a half minnow. I use a tip up for my second line but the jigging out produces the tip up by a ton. Above all, do not crowd in on groups of houses. You will do best to be 100' or more from this source of noise and activity. Good luck and stay safe.

cubbies11

Thanx Eastwind, can you tell me a couple of good resorts to call/go off of. Your help is very much appreciated.

Cubbies

Hey Cubbies, Eastwind pretty much hooked you up with everything you need to get there and out fishing. You need to pick a side of the lake, find a piece of structure, find a resort near it and GO! All the resorts are pretty much the same. When you get up there you can decide where you want yo go, it's nice to know before hand, but sometimes you have to wait til you see where people are, what conditions are like. Stay on the roads on your way out, but fish away from the roads a little. I dont think you will be driving out anything but an ATV or Sled but be safe, follow tracks, and welcome to Minnesota's Antarctica and my favorite lake.

good luck

morriscode

Eastwind

Cubbies,

Eastwind

Cubbies,

As Morriscode pointed out, you may need to see what general areas or types of structure people are fishing when you get there. But, I always look for a few potential spots on the Walleye Whiffer map prior to leaving for the lake and go to the resorts nearest these spots. Ask the resort to show you their trail map and have them confirm that their road goes to the spot(s) you want to fish. I do best on the West side in the Winter but I fish it more and know it better. Bring your Vexilar or equivalent to study the bottom prior to setting up and use it while you are jigging. Now the bad news. I have a friend that lives in Garrison and he has been hearing that it has been slow. I still plan to be up on Sunday the 22 to check it out for myself though. Have fun.