• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Mille Lacs

Hey guys I am heading to the big pond on 12/01 to fish it for the first time through the ice. I think I am going to rent a house from Scenic Bay. I have not ice fished in about 5 years and would like any info that may make the trip a memorable one. Any info on tackle, technique, bait, and info on the resort that I am renting the house from would be greatly aappreciated!!!

I Like Worms

is that 12-1 as in Dec. 1st? or Jan 12th? I don't think they'll have houses out on dec. 1st. Maybe some guys with portables, but I don't think any perminants will be out yet. IMHO.

You're probably better using a portbale during first ice on Mille Lacs anyway. Gonna need to punch a lot of holes and find roaming fish. I always like to fish the south side towards Mac's Twin bay for perch at early ice. I like to fish the flats in about 18 feet of water. Once you find a school it will be fast action until the school dissapears, then its time to search again. A lot of walleyes roam these flats too. I'm hoping maybe to get into the crappies up on Mille Lacs this year. I hear there was some big ones.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Don't plan on permanents until last week of Dec. even if we get a heck of a cold snap! The walleyes are bitin' decent from shore now after dark though.

Fish-on

The highs are supposed to be in the 30's to near 40 for most of this week, and El Nino is supposed to be kicking in any day. I would venture a guess that you will not be ice fishing on December 1st.

Matt,
When your up this way fishing drop me a line. I'd like to fish Mille Lacs or a few Crappie honey holes around Aitkin with you if your up for it?

chiro,

Sounds good to me, I'd be willing to hit the big pond or fish for crappies with you. I'll be sure to let you know when I make the trip. If your ever down in the cities let me know and I can show around some crappie haunts that I have.

Good Fishin, Matt.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mistermojo
      Thanks for the report.  I live close so I like to see how things are doing on Medicine.  Only time out was with the little one, so dad didn't get much fishing done.  Will be looking to drive out there now that we have this cold snap coming to make some more ice.
    • Mistermojo
      I searched the forum for anything new regarding flotation suits and I didn't see anything since about 2015.  So.... If a guy were to buy a suit with flotation, which one and why?  Let's assume that the company and their lawyers all did their homework and they will save a life just the same.  I'm talking about comfort / mobility / sizing, etc.  I went to the Big C tonight to try some on and they were really picked over.  The only thing I found in my size was the Icearmor Rise jacket, but no bibs and they were not on any kind of sale.  Icearmor has a promo to get a free pair of boots if you buy a whole suit, which I plan to resell and cover some of my cost so that is of interest to me, but I can't mix and match between stores to get the best deal.   So - fire away.  What do you have and why do you like or dislike it?    
    • CW03
      Normally I could give you a good report by this time but unfortunately, have not been out there yet. I plan to be in that area this weekend. If I do get that far I will check it out and report.
    • PRO-V
      I stopped by Tioga Pit yesterday and it was a mess.
    • BrianF
      Thx for the report. Things were pretty bad when we were there two weeks ago. Wondering what to expect for this weekend. Sounds like it’s a little better, but not much. 
    • Spearing Machine
      I have been sledding Pike Bay morning and night most every single day since Thanksgiving. Things have improved a little bit. There is still areas that are pretty bad though. Some of the slush has consumed all the snow and worked it's way to the top and that stuff is setting up nicely now. I think with a good week of this weather pattern that's settling in conditions will only improve. Maybe not perfect but better than 2 weeks ago. I've got -10.6°F right now on the thermometer so we aren't losing any snow or ice here on Big V!
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the report Jan and Welcome to the forum.
    • smurfy
      Well it looks like it's gonna be close!😊
    • monstermoose78
      Listen to what either place tells you for tips.
    • Wanderer
      I heard water was coming out of cracks on another area lake last weekend.  It sounded kind of weird to me and suspicious.  10-18 inches was reported for thickness.  I didn’t think we had enough snow/slush to cause a weight problem already.   Water came up the holes that were drilled too.   The swing in thickness bugs me.  Plus I witnessed a wide variance in ND last weekend.  I did drive out and one spot I parked on had 20 inches on one side of the truck (bare ice) and the other about 14 (hard snow drift).  Kinda shocked me.  But there were trees under the ice too so that might’ve kept ice development slower too.   Keep being cautious out there!