• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Update for the Big Pond?

Grabs

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grabs

• Alphid

• EBass

• Mykal

Top Posters In This Topic

The ice on the north end is 8 to 12 inches. The warm weather did nothing to the ice. The 1/2 inch of snow on the ice never even metled. Fishing yesterday it was 45 degrees in Brainerd and my holes were still freezing up in a matter of seconds. The break hasn't moved in the past two days so the ice is pretty stable.

Thank again Chiro,

My buddies are stoked on bringing up the permanent. It's 8x10 and pretty heavy. We're thinking about taking the wheeler and big trailer towing it out there.

Are there any permanents that size out there now??

Still looking at the south side.

Just want to be safe.
Thanks,
EBass

Mines 8x16, but its an Ultra Shack. I plan on being out there this weekend without any problems. Although I don't think we will be driving until next weekend, things should get off to a bit quicker starter than last season.

Grabs, Ebass,
I stopped at Dickies today. They told me to hold off until next weekend with my 7x14, 2200lb permanent. They have a solid 10" but, they said they have made NO ice for 4 straight days now!

I would just call them and ask them. I helped a guy pull out a 10x20 this weekend. It might be a bit lighter than yours though. I pulled it with my wheeler on 10-11" of ice on the SW side.

I would suspect you could get that house out there this weekend. But I am not certain what the ice is like on that side.

Anybody have any idea what the ice conditionas are like at Barnacles? Wondering when I can get the 10X20 out.

Bump!

Are there any new updates that will help those of us with big, heavy houses and trucks know when we can go out?

Mac's Twin Bay is reporting water on the ice and the probable deployment this weekend of houses 10' x 16' or smaller into the bay only. No driving yet.

Can anyone else report? It would be much appreciated by the hundreds, if not thousands, of us waiting to put big, heavy houses out and drive trucks to them.

Brad

There are big houses out into the bay on the SW side. I pulled a 10'x20' around with my wheeler last weekend, there was nothing less than 10" of ice, more like 11-12" on average.

Sounds like those of us on the SW side will be the first ones out again this year. Last year we were driving on the 1st, which was really early, I expect we could be driving by the end of this weekend if not sooner. Just need a good cold snap to seal things up a bit. I may move out towards Spirit this weekend. Last weekend there 8-10" on average.
My best advice is to talk with your resort owners, they are going to have the final say anyhow. But it does look like some ice making weather on the way for the next 10 day or so.

Good luck to those heading up, I will be up for the next 2 weeks, with a brief break to come home for X-mas and the a trip to LOW.

Thanks Grabs. I appreciate the report. I'm over on the SE side and hope wer're not far behind you.

Keep those updates coming, fellas.

Brad

A buddy of mine is putting his house out of Dickies. He called in this morning to get an ice update...they said 13 1/2 inches. They are allowing 1/2 ton pick-ups on the ice.

Grabs,

Thanks for the info about the ice. Too bad the bite isn't on.

Do you know who Scott Niewind is? Just wondering.

Grabs, thanks. Sorry we missed you last weekend. I am off to North Dakota for the holidys. Be back on the 28th. I am going to Devils Lake on Sunday. Keep the reports coming. I'll see you when I get back.

Hey Guys!
I've got my big shack sitting at Twin pines, and am anxious to get it out. Does anybody have any reports out of Twin Pines or the Garrison area? How is the ice. Bridges?
Thanks in advance.

Just got home from Mille Lacs. I was up there on Friday the 20th and came home today.

The ice is looking very good on the SW side. We have a easily 11" out to Andersen's Reef and I suspect just as much all the way to Spirit Island, but there are a couple of pressure ridges on the way there though.

There should be a new road marked to the Island soon. Only small vehicles are driving out to Andersen's at this point, and they are driving all over in closer to shore. Most of the houses are out with the expection of the largest ones, many 10x20s are out. With this solid cold weather I suspect we will be able to start driving full-size trucks by Thursday, but check with resort owners first before venturing out.

The ice is very clear, but be very cautious of the pressure ridges.

And the bite...well not good at all. Only 2 5" walleyes in 4 days! Hopefully that will pick up soon.

Also, Sloppy Joes and 1 1/4 are full of houses out of Brandt's but no one is driving there yet either.

Just went by the big pond on 169 tonight, lots of houses out as far as I could see.There is a presure ridge running from the very north side all the way down past Eddie's.Most of you may already know this just thought I would post what I saw.People are getting across it as there were a few out there tonight, saw a resort truck out beyond the ridge as well.Don't know who's truck though, there sure is some strange and dangrous looking ice on Wigwom bay and Vineland bay.Must have been ice that pushed up just before the big lake froze?It sure looks ugly and I did see some water on top if not open water in the middle of some of it.Didn't have time to stop and fish, besides had the troops with and no gear.
Good fishin, Benny

I fished last Saturday, on the southwest side, caught 2 24's a 23 a 8 and one perch. I also missed a couple of pigs. Used green and silver jig, tiped with minnow head, in 26 feet .

I fished last Saturday, on the southwest side, caught 2 24's a 23 a 8 and one perch. I also missed a couple of pigs. Used green and silver jig, tiped with minnow head, in 26 feet . One other thing I wanted to mention, was the number of dead minnows, I observed through the ice, dead....against the bottom of it. The fish caught were all very skinny.......I think these fish are starving. I would be more for a limit of 3, keep what ya catch.

There is almost no way the fish in Mille Lacs are starving we have had someone in our fishhouse 7 days so far this winter and almost the entire time you can see small perch and Walleye in the underwater camera. Of course I really have no idea but that is just my guess.

Macs Twin Bay is reporting 11-13 inches halfway to Hennipin Island and are letting people drive out.

Here's a re-print from todays report from Lundeens:

"The ice thickness has improved a little since last week - up to 11 inches on much of the main lake. There are still some pressure ridges to be reckoned with, so we recommend that you travel during the daylight - just as we have the past few weeks. The resorts are pulling their rental houses and many of the private houses out. Some are letting people drive out, others are still requiring ATV's, snowmobiles or shuttles. The bays along the south end have up to 15 inches and vehicle travel is common. Overall, things are shaping up from the past few weeks.

Conditions are changing daily - call your favorite resort directly to see if they will let you drive out.

The walleye bite has improved A LITTLE - scattered reports of multiple fish (a decent ratio inside the slot!) have been trickling in, but most are still finding the walleye bite slower than normal. 18-22 feet has been the best range, 25-28 the next. Vineland Bay, Garrison Reef and 9-mile flat are good starting spots. Shiners on a set line are your best bet overnight, and Hawger Spoons or Weasels tipped with a piece of a minnow are
tops during the day. There are a ton of small perch with a handful of jumbos mixed in coming from the South Bays. Northern fishing is decent in these bays too.

There is currently no significant snow on the ice."
(www.lundeens.com)

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-27-2002).]

Hey Mykal!

Wanna get together and fish this year?

Have you been out by Green Lake or Clear Lake recently?

Shoot me an e-mail when you get back to 'Sota...