• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Update for the Big Pond?

Grabs

Cove Bay had good ice until the WIND! If yous guys plan on fishin the S.E side of the lake, I have a feeling you are going to need a chain saw to navigate or get thru certain areas to fish, just like back in 92-93. Cold weather is good, WIND is bad. Lot of resorts had to drill holes and use a pump to flood the ice for their roads to get out to prime spots, have a feeling the same thing is going to happen this year. Lets hope not!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grabs

• Alphid

• EBass

• Mykal

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at Flagship today and there was 3-5 inches just off shore. Looked like good ice out for a mile or so then pretty choppy ice after that. Rough ice on the north side of the point. ICE as far as you can see though. Shouldn't be too long with the cold weather this week. Keep the updates coming!

Anyone know the ice conditions on the northside around the myrmar or red door areas, is anyone out on that side yet? walking out or four wheelers. thanx!

Does anyone know how the ice looks around Garrison? Planning on going up next weekend, will I be able to fish? I want to get my small shack out if there is 5 inches or better. Maybe we'll have the big houses out before Christmas! That would be great.

I just drove through Garrison yesterday. There was ice out from Garrison but there were waves lapping up on shore just south of town. I guess the heavy winds really created havoc with the ice. It re-opened a lot of the lake. It was dark when I drove by so I can't say what it looked like farther out on the lake. Anywhere that kept ice over it during the winds should really be building ice now, with these temps. As far as the parts that were open as recently as last night... it will be a while, with it having to start over after the winds opened these areas.

Any update on the ice situation up there? I am looking to get up there as soon as safely possible. Thanks.
A+

just drove by the pond from the north end down 169. Looks like ice from shore to shore. Was also up on sunday and there was large stretches of very dark ice indicating it had just formed the night before, verified by the folks at the red door. The ice looks good though with no snow cover. I got up there this morning and the temp was 4 degrees above, so it shouldnt be long. I hope to get up there next sunday, finish the work on my fish house and walk out in front of the red door for the evening bite. I cant help but think there should be at least 6 inches of good ice by then, i hope.

I taled to a gentleman at myr mar today and he indicated that there is 3"-4" of ice in front of there place as of this afternnon.
With the cold weather this weekend looks like a go. Be smart, be safe and good fishing

Well I just got a message from the owner of Weekends. There is 7" of ice out in front of his place, as long as the weather stays this way until Friday/Saturday he is planning on pulling houses this weekend, starting with the smaller ones and then working his way up in size.

He also said that Dickies is going to start pulling houses possibly tomorrow. We should be in half swing this weekend, and I personally we be planning on driving out next weekend, the 14th, as long as we have 12" which shouldn't even be a question. So here's to a great start to this year and a big thanks to Ol' Ma Nature!!

I will be on the big pond from Dec 20th - Jan 5th with a couple of breaks to come home for Christmas and maybe a few other things, but other than that if any one is in the area maybe we can meet up for some fishing or drinks at the bar.

Shoot me an e-mail and I will get you my cell number if you are going to be in the area.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 12-04-2002).]

Just spoke to Dean at Agate Bay he said he had about 6 inches at least out front and portables were on the reef. He didn't think four wheelers would be a problem this weekend. I'm heading up Fri. for friday night and sat. morning. Should be good!

: shocked.gif: Just two weeks ago I was out in my boat, now people are already talkin' bout drivin' on the ice!! Wow, old man winters icy grip came suddenly this year !

Just drove by this morning and there are small houses out in Garrison Bay as well as about three or four portables set up. they seem to be setting up near the break, but I wasn't driving out to ask.

Are there any four wheelers out there? Or should I say, does any one know the ice thickness on the south end?

I wanted to scout out a spot for the permanent on Sunday.

Also wanted to try out my new FL18!

Any feed back would be fantastic!

Ebass,
I talked to Dick at Portside today and he said 4 wheelers are a go with 6-9 inches but be smart about it. He also said they were going to start pulling their houses out on Monday!

Fished all day (Fri). Split inthe ice only allows you to get out to 19' not quite to the rocks (Garrison). 4 to 5 inches - 3 people a 4-wheeler and an Otter Resort. Caught 2- Bite seems to be sunrise/set. They were in the 20's. It looked like the split occured Thur? It's going to be a few days before you can reach structure- going straight out of Garrison Public- unless someone finds a way around it. -NS-

Put my house out today on the north end. Had 7 inches of good hard ice. There were a few guys out on the flats today. Looked to be 3 or 4 miles out on the lake. Lots of small walleyes biting.

Got the portable set up outta flagship. Had 7 inches of good ice. A crack prevented us from a good spot so just set up in 15 feet. two bites at 7:30 a.m. Light biting both spit out. Didn't graph a fish all night. Good sleeping though! Keep the ice reports coming as I'm at college and like the reports during the week. GOOD FISHIN!!

Hey boys,..I am in the U.K. this weekend!! Can't keep the hometown boy off the site though!

I need some updates,..any chance of driving out this coming Friday or Sat. I am thinking we should have plenty of ice in that area, I fish just outside of Cove bay and out to Andersen's and Spirit Island. Any words about the heave that usually forms around Andersen's?? Hope to be able to get closer to that area than we did last year though.

I fly back into MN on Friday afternoon, planning on getting the house and wheeler and heading up to the pond, please keep the updates coming as this is about to become a really great year to be on the pond!

Grabs,
This weeks forecast SUCKS! Supposed to hover just above 30 around the lake with lows only into the 20's...man I hope they are wrong because I was planing on pulling the shack out this weekend.

Thats still not bad,..with a good layer of ice already set up we can continue making ice even under those temps. You'd be surprised we could still put on an .5" to 1" per day. Lets just hope the snow holds off a bit longer. We really don't need an big, wet, heavy snows now.

Where are you putting your house again??

Grabs,
I believe I will be putting it out of Dickies. I have had great service with them in the past and there road pass is $100 so that is as good as I have heard of.
About the ice...is there any half way scientific way to tell how much ice can be made. For example I had an old timer tell me once that on a given body of water with no snow to insulate you should be able to make an inch+ per night if it drops to 10 degrees???

[This message has been edited by chiro (edited 12-09-2002).]

Chiro, you say Dickies as pretty good service because this is my first time put a houce out on the pond and i herd that dickie has the longest road out there. But any other info you could give me would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Z-boy

Hey guys first time posting but have been reading the forums for the last couple of weeks.I'm looking at going up friday afternoon out of weekends resort on the south side.Any reports or tips you want to throw at me would be great.I'm coming out of St.Cloud so if any body from the area wants to hook up for a day/night on the lake send me a e-mail and I can get you my phone #

Z-boy,
They hook up with Hunters later in the season and go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there. I beleive that they are linked under the resorts link check them out, give 'em a call and they'll answer your questions completely I'm sure.

Z-boy,
They hook up with Hunters later in the season and go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there. I beleive that they are linked under the resorts link check them out, give 'em a call and they'll answer your questions completely I'm sure.

Chiro,

Thanks for the ice thickness report. I never made it out last weekend. So I was thinking about this weekend, but with all the warm temps is it safe for a wheeler?

I am still looking at the south end.

Anyone else know what's going on with the ice thickness as of now?

I need to ice fish soon. UGH, old man winter where the hell did you go?