• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Crappies in Izaty's Channel Yet???

Hi
Just windering if any knows if the crappies have made it into the Izaty's channel yet? They usually go in there for a couple of weeks every fall.
Thanks Pete

Check the water temps. When it hits 55 degrees, have at it.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 10-04-2002).]

I would agree with 55 degrees being the magical temp to see Crappie migration back into the channel, as that is the temp that indicates the completion of turnover, but.....

Mille Lacs is a large windblown body of water that recieves alot of natural "agititation" so to speak. So the lake really has no thermocline. With that being said, then the lake has no real significant "turnover" either then.

So what draws the Crappies into the channel?

Springtime, 55 degrees is a magic temp to see the Crappies migrate back from the big holes into the shallows. But there you have weeds starting new growth, and PRODUCING oxygen.

On lakes that experience a turnover, the Crappies usually move out to the main breaks in late July and early August. By mid September, they are typically on the edges of the holes, or staging over them suspending down anywhere from 10'-20' off the bottom depending on depth, weather fronts, etc. When turnover begins, it makes the fish "sick" to put it simply, and they typically move to the bottom and feed significantly less.

So why on larger bodys of water, like Rainy Lake, Mille Lacs, and such, do the Crappies make a run for the shallows again in late fall? Obviously becuase there food and forage moves in. But why is that? Alot of people can find them there on bigger waters because they expect it, but I really have never heard an explanation why.

Anyone got any further input?

thanks, and great site!

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Kevin S (edited 10-04-2002).]

I spend the same week of October at Izatys each year. This year, for some reason, the crappies are almost non-existant. Fished on five different days in the past week and caught ONE crappie in Izatys marina.

Maybe all those giant walleyes have been dining on crappies -- say what?

Kidd

One word of caution here. I was golfing at Izaty's last weekend and was told they no longer let the public fish from their land/docks. You can still access the channel from the water however. So for those of you who are planning to fish, bring a boat.

During the five different days I fished there this past week I saw or heard of no one asking anyone for owner identification. Unless it should be packed with non-owners, I doubt that they would run anyone out.

But, I see no current reason to go in -- the crappies haven't.

What do ya think...I think the water temps dropped too rapidly for the ol' Crop-Eyes to move in. I could be wrong, heck, I probably am.

PCG

Seriously now, what do you guys (and gals) think about all this?

PCG

If you mean why the crappies hadn't come in, I haven't the foggiest notion.

Same week in Oct for five consecutive years, similar weather and temps (with variation), higher water level. To put it bluntly, I don't know.

I would think for what ever reason the food that the crappies were in the channel for never made it in there this year. It could very well have been the quick falling temps. Would any venture a guesss as to what might kind of food might be in the channels during the fall???
crappieaddict Pete