• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

What other lakes can handle the big houses?

Am looking at buying a big fish house, 12x22. But am uncertain of the future of Mille Lacs. What other lakes can handle big houses? Also.........is $3000 a good price for a nice house of that size, fully loaded? Thanks 4 responding.

Among others, you'll find them that size and bigger on Leech, Big Winnie, and (of course) LOTW. I believe the tradition developed on Mille Lacs in large part because it was a short trip from the Twin Cities -- and you could usually get some fish.

Just a thought, in case it hadn't occurred to you already, why not take the coming season to rent ice houses on a few of the bigger lakes to see where you might want to keep yours? $3000 buys lots of weekends in lots of pretty nice ice houses.

Grabs

If you've seen some of the houses on Mille Lacs a $3000 house is nothing! My cost 4x that new! Granted it is on wheels, but $3000 for a permanant house is nothing in comparison to the rest of those houses on the lake. Yeah sure there are a few that are in the $300-500 range, but I would say 90% are in the $3000-$15,0000 even $20,000 range after equiping them with all the bells and whistles!

I have a house I put on Mille Lacs every winter, I wouldn't worry about the situation of the lake, the resorts up there depend so much on the winter business, even more so than the summer business, that they will have a strong voice with the DNR when it comes to the condition of the lake and the regulations during the winter season.

I'd say buy the house, keep it on Mille Lacs, if you change your mind after a few years you can sell it to someone else on the lake and buy or build yourself a new one for a different lake. The cost of moving that big of a house to a different lake will exceed the value of the house anyhow.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-21-2002).]

MJR

$3,000 is quite a bit for a fishouse does it come full of beer. We bought an 8x18 ready for the lake for $400. Leech, Winnie, and LOTW are all good lakes where you can have a big house on them but they are also 4+hrs away, Mille Lacs is an hour. The resorts also charge more for larger houses but if you are considering spending $3,000 on the house you probably don't care. Mille Lacs will probably not collapse totaly for another 5yrs so I would buy one that will last about that long.

Its looking like buying a house on wheels might be the way to go. Will have a good hunting shack, and summer fun. Yea, I thought $300-$400 was pretty far out. I paid more than that for portables. My brother just built one and has more than $4,000 in materials. Looks like I might start a post on fish house with wheels.................Do's and Dont's?

Grabs

Search these forums, there are two of them in here already with close to 100 responses,..that will be a some great reading for you.

If I run across them I will let you know

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-22-2002).]