• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear bait??

ethan77

Ok, just going to try bear hunting this year for the first time in about 8 years... waht are you guys findinig that works the best? any numbers of where I can buy old product to use for bear bait? Any tricks to baiting them in.. what I did in the past was make a intercrossing tear of logs that the bear would have to physically throw off to get the bait... any help would be wonderful guys

• 3 weeks later...

ethan,

A friend of mine goes out to this place in Wisconsin every year to buy his bear bait.(one stop shopping) I've personally never been there but it sounds like there is a great selection. Watch for their add in the Outdoor News.

Try local bakeries and bread thrift stores. Feed lots will carry oats, corn and molasses.(cheap dry dog food mixed with molasses even works)

Being from Sandstone, your definitely going to have some competition from other bear hunters looking for bait. I'd suggest starting early. I have a 15 cubic foot freezer just for bear bait. I collect it early when the demand is low and freeze it.

I save all the grease I use over the year for frying fish and chicken. I also save the grease from frying bacon and sausage. Again, I have never personally done this but I guess you can get grease from local restaurant.

Do a search under this topic. I think there was some good info from last year about baiting. Also, try and get your hands on a video called Black Bear Mania. It not only has some great footage of a bear being harvested with traditional archery equipment it also gives a lot of good info about bears and bear hunting techniques. Some of the hunts take place here in Minnesota.

Good luck

I'm not trying to sell anything. I do have a supplier of frosting, gummi bears, trail mix and hard candy that I used last year. He is west of Cambridge. He is also a bear hunter. I think he does this each year. Last year was the first time I paid for bait. It's convenient for me since I live in North Branch. I thought the prices were fair, but I didn't shop around. I would post his name and phone number but I don't know if that's allowed here. E-mail me privately and I'll give you his name and number. [email protected]

------------------
Erik

go to the local bakery. around here i know people that get it all for free everything they need, 2 day old bread, cakes, cupcakes, doughnuts, ANYTHING that they have thats old, they're gonna throw it out anyway so they give it to bear hunters. Id check into that, also i guess grease does the trick, and restaurant that has grease will also more than likely give it away.

ive also heard of putting honey on it, using dog food, liquid smoke....

just put out stuff that stinks that bears like to eat.

start saving your fish guts in the freezer!!

yea the way we like to bait is find out were there is some bear sing and then we will usually use a sack in a tree for smell before we put the bait in the ground the reason being for htat is to get the smell around so they can find it easier.

• 1 month later...