• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Hunting

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Deer Hunters meet here.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fivebucks

• tjhunter

• Grabs

• Shorelunch

I'm a bow hunter. I've never hunted Carlos Avery before but It's close enough so I can go for a day hunt. I've heard it can be difficult to hunt because it's so busy, but I've also heard alot of people get a deer too. I contacted the DNR for a map of the area and am planning to take a drive out there for some scouting and stop by their office. Anybody have any recommendations for this area?

Joe

Sorry no suggestions for the Carlos Avery. I am just happy to have a hunting forum available now, Thanks Rick. I am heading up to our land near park Rapids this weekend to put in the rest of our food plots. Anybody else putting in food plots? I would love to here what everyone is planting and what they have had the best success with in the past. I have only been planting food plots for 6 years but I have had the opportunity to try a great variety of things, just wondering what anyone else is planting.

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I'M LOOKING FOR AN ACCURATE RELOAD FOR 30-06. I AM PLANNING TO HUNT WHITETAILS AND I AM NOT QUITE SURE WHAT TYPE OF BULLET WOULD BE THE BEST FOR PROPER EXPANSION BUT NOT TOTAL DESTRUCTION! I WAS THINKING OF A BULLET WEIGHT OF 110~130GR.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? I SHOOT A REMINGTON 700 BDL.MY SHOTS(SHOT,SINGULAR I HOPE!) WILL RANGE FROM AS LITTLE AS 20 YARDS OUT TO 150 YARDS.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

------------------
FISHIN ROD

Fishing Rod,
Iam not a reloading expert but if I were you I would go with no less than a 150 gr in the .06. I personally shoot a 150 gr Nosler partition bullet. It works well for me at distances up to 200 yds.
Dusty

I've had excellent luck with the Seirra Pro hunter bullets in 150 gr. My shots are usually pretty simular to what you described. Personally I won't shot anything with less than 120 gr. on whitetails. With good shot placement you shouldn't ruin much meat.
Good Luck

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT FELLAS.I ROLL MY OWN SO ARE THERE ANY PET LOADS YOU CARE TO SHARE?I'VE BOWHUNTED DEER FOR A LOT OF YEARS,THIS IS MY FIRST TIME RIFLE HUNTING.NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM VERY ANXIOUS TO GIVE IT A try!I DO HAVE SOME 130GR. SPEER HOLLOW POINTS BUT I'VE SEEN WHAT THEY DO TO GROUNDHOGS AND I'M PRETTY LEARY OF RUINING THAT MUCH MEAT(WASTE NOT WANT NOT!)THANKS AGAIN.

------------------
FISHIN ROD

• 2 weeks later...

i live in ne iowa and do alot of slug-hunting.....this year i think ill try a scope but dont know alot about them.....which scope would suit me.....price is a consideration...thanks..
jerad

I've had excellent luck with Simmons scopes. They are durable, have clear bright optics and are reasonably priced. They have several models made for use on shot guns.
Good Luck!

jerad...

I recently purchased a scope for my slug gun & did a fair amount of research & question asking before buying. I suggest you do the same.

The bottom line is that you do get what you pay for... a "cheap" scope will fog up on you, be nearly impossible to see through during that 1st half hour of opening day, etc...

I too did not want to drop a fortune, but was willing to spend a little extra to get a quality scope. I ended up with the Nikon UCC slug scope... the quality offered is as good if not better than some scopes costing an additional hundred bucks or even more. I felt the $250 investment was worth a lifetime investment. Plus I don't really care to have equipment failure when that B&C buck makes his appearance!!!

Good Luck... and knock 'em down!!!

help!!! o.k. i'm new to deer hunting and i'm 12 years old i live in southeastern minnesota
(winona county) i'm going deer hunting this year and can someone please tell me when the rut is and when the peak of the rut is thanks for your help guys!

Usually the pre-rut occurs second half or October with the rut peak early to mid November. It varies from year to year. A lot of theory as to why(cooler temps., days shortening & moon phases)but no one knows for sure except the deer. Good Luck.

Pikestalker-last year the peak rut occured about the Wednesday after opening day. I say this based on the Buck activity we saw during the entire rut. However, we hunt in the Park Rapids area and you could expect it to be a little later the farther South you go. I bow hunt down in Iowa and I can ususally catch the peak of the rut down there just after it occurs in North Central Minnesota. Like Borch said, whatever the reason, it seems to start up North first. However, there are always exceptions to this. Good luck hunting this year and be patient.

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

as far as the scope for shot gun, the last three years I've used a sight tron with a little red light. It seemed really nice because when you open both eyes all you see is the surroundins and a little red dot. This year I took it off because I,m always worried about the battery and the three deer i did shoot with it was not hit where I aimed (I know what your thinking but they were way off). I think they have there place but I was not impressed so I bought a 1.5-4x20 scope. I do recommend to buy one that is not fixed at 4x.

Todd, is that why I keep finding certain scopes in 4x for real cheap around town? I don't hunt deer with a shotgun, but I do turkey hunt, and I was cautioned about getting a 4x scope because of certain limitations those scopes present.

[This message has been edited by Rockman (edited 09-12-2000).]

Personally I've stayed away from the scopes for turkey hunting. If I used one it would be something with 1.5 -2.5 magnification. Just looking for a good aimming point. I have had good luck with open sights. But that's another forum.

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 09-12-2000).]

Hey everyone,open rifle site in at Beaverbrook gun club starts on the 22nd or 23rd. It is a nice club and they are very helpful. 25 YD,50YD AND 100YD targets, and 10 stations. Cost is around $5.00 per gun, ear plugs sold there as well.They change all the targets, bore siting avalable.
Directions: North on hwy 65 to Klondike drive, Right, about 1 1/2 mile down on left, take dirt road all the way back through gates. Hope this info will help anyone looking for a range thats well ran.
See you out there,Benny

Well the bowhunting opener has come and gone. I was hoping to see some posts with successful hunts. Anyone seeing any deer? I hunt in a bonus permit zone and was lucky enough to get a doe last saturday evening. I saw 15 deer which made for an excellent night on the stand. Only 1 buck, a pointer-not the trophy I am looking for. How did the other bowhunters do?

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Update : My last post stated the wrong dates for Beaverbrook rifle sight in. They are open to public the last 4 weekends in October, they may be open the 29th of Sept. and the 1st of Oct. but not sure. Cost is $7.00 per gun this year also.
The club used to open in late Sept but not enough people showed up so they now start in October. Thanks, Benny

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any tips for finding private land to deer hunt. this is our first year not hunting in a woods that my family has been hunting for 30+ years. we are hunting some private land this year, but it is only temporary-I could use some help on what sources to use, and anything else that you think would be helpful!!Thanks and good hunting!!

just simply try driving around your home territory and when you find a good spot...go to the nearest house and ask....it cant hurt

• 5 months later...

bump

I was spring scouting/shed hunting in the Bemidji area last weekend and found an unusually high number of dead deer. I hope the mortallity over the winter wasnt as bad as it looks, maybe just isolated in the area i was at? Has anybody else noticed much for dead deer in the woods this spring?

[This message has been edited by Pafish (edited 04-12-2001).]

I'm afraid that this cold snowy spring we had is not going to help this year. I don't think there will be a very good fawn crop this year. The deer I have seen so far this year look hungry and thin. I hope it warms up soon.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

• 2 months later...

It's not too far off now gang.

This reply is 3 months late, regarding the large number of dead deer...Maybe you've heard something about it in your area by now. In South Dakota west of the Missouri, there were a tremendous number of whitetail deer killed by CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease). It was real bad 2 seasons ago and the whitetail numbers really took a hit. They are just starting to work there way back. For some reason mule deer in the same area were not affected.

• 1 month later...

Freindly Reminder the deadline for Doe Tag applications is One Week away.I'm anxious as all get out.

------------------
Common sense isn't common

• 4 weeks later...

I am writing this to clarify what HOF#13 posted regarding the deer die-off in South Dakota. I deer hunt there nearly every year, so I try to keep up on this.

The disease the killed off huge numbers of West River whitetails WAS NOT CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease), it was EHD (Epizootic Hemmorhagic Disease). Although there have been reported cases of CWD in South Dakota (mostly on private game farms), it has never been responsible for more than a few recorded deer deaths.

EHD has been around for years and years. It is passed from deer to deer by biting midges and, although it is not caused by such, overpopulation can contribute to the severity of an outbreak (via close proximity of animals).

Every year, EHD kills a certain number of deer in any population......some years are worse than others. Diseased deer can be seen in summer and early fall, but once the hard freezes come, the instects die and the spreading stops.

CWD is an entirely different animal and not much is known about it......however, it doesn't do anyone any good to be spreading incorrect information about what is killing deer in South Dakota.