• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Scents and methods for displaying them?

Grabs

I wanna here some of your ideas on the best scents for whitetail, and how you use them.

I have done various things, but I think a foot or ankle drag has proven to be very effective. I tried this last year for the first time and I had a spike come down my trail nearly crawling on the ground. I was using the Golden Estrus.

What are some of the other methods out there?

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 03-02-2003).]

I put red fox pee on my boots as well as on several trees surrounding my stand. I then hang three scent wicks with Tink's #69 in a triangle around my stand aboot 10 yards out. Had a spiker sniffing one for aboot 5 min before i shot him this year

oops almost forgot.....LOTS of scent killer!!

------------------
"Fishing is a search for peace. We practice patience, discipline, hope. In time the rhythm comes-and eventually the fish. We pace the world around us with the tip of a rod, like an orchestra conductor giving the beat with his baton. We dance with the universe, feeling everything but lonely."

[This message has been edited by Bobb-o (edited 02-28-2003).]

I try to mathc my surroundings. I hunt near Oak trees. I put all of my clothes in burlap sack along with oak leaves and acorns. I do this about a week prior to the hunt. I use Scent Shield spray as I put on each layer. I am not sure this stuff works, but I fuger it can't hurt. I know it increases my confidence which helps me stay on stand longer in the mornings. I drag a rag attached to my boot that contains scent I buy from a local guy here. Orion Scents. I can't post a link, but you can find him by searching. I have had good success with this scent. It is very fresh. I usually pick it up on the Friday before the hunt and he collects it just hours before I arrive. he also ships it fresh to people out of the area. Some of his does are usually in estrous at that time so it is as natural and effective as I can find. I shot a 6 point buck last year and his nose was touching the drag rag I had hung in the tree branch 20 yards from my stand. He came in following my trail looking like a Hoover vaccuum cleaner smile.gif I also spray a little bit of raccoon cover scent on my tree once I get up there. There are lots of coon in the area I hunt and again I just try to match the odors that are there naturally.

I've never been real high on the scent blocker clothes, soaps, etc. I always feel that once the deer get downwind of you, you're screwed. Even the clothes that I wear bowhunting, I used to be more anal about washing them in baking soda, putting them in bags, taking a shower before I go but now my philosophy is play the wind game, walk to my stand with the wind in my face, expect the deer to walk thru upwind of me, if they get downwind, I can expect to hear the 'blowing sound' that means I'm busted.

The same way with scents, I rarely use them. As a bowhunter, I don't want to 'contaminate' my area by walking out 20 yards to put out scent containers, I figure that the deer will also catch my scent with the scent that I'm putting out and be gone. After reading a couple of your reports on deer following the estrous scents, maybe I should try a few....

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I have had real good succes with Tanks fatal attractor. I usally put scent bombs around my stand, I've tried others but this one has been my most succesfull. I also have used scent drags with some success, I guess in order to have any scent work, you first have to eliminate all human scent first, I use and strongly believe in scent shield for this.