• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Fathead

Gravel report

Fathead

Hello all,

I typically am a Mud fisherman this time of year, but since we are also fishing smallies tomorrow (concentrating on the South end) I am leaning towards fishing eyes early on the gravel. I am just wondering how you all have done recently on 4 or 5 mile gravel? Has fishing been decent or has activity dropped off in recent weeks. I know the mud is still producing some fish (but not like 2nd & 3rd week of June!)but I have heard mixed reports on the gravel. Any input would be appreciated.

Fathead

Hello all,

Just to give you my most recent report.
I was out on the gravel (4 & 5mile) with a buddy last Saturday. We managed to boat 16 in 6+ hrs. Not what I would consider a great trip in comparison to what I experienced from opener through July 1. We ran crankbaits and spinners/crawlers. All but one were caught on crankbaits. Seemed to have our best action when cruising 1.8 to 2.0mph.

Has anyone been out the past few days? How have you done? I am heading to the mud tomorrow. I am hoping things will pick up a little bit from the last two times out!

ReelTimes

Regarding use of crank baits, are you running those down deep (i:e only several feet off bottom) or without weight and within 10-12 feet of the surface. Thanks.

ReelTimes

Regarding use of crank baits, are you running those down deep (i:e only several feet off bottom) or without weight and within 10-12 feet of the surface. Thanks.

Fathead

Hello guys,

Affirmative Dman, I will keep you posted on how I do today on the mud. I will be leaving work mid-morning and plan to be up on the water by 1:00pm.

ReelTimes...I am currently using #7 or #9 floating raps (like most of the year for me, minnow color seems to be working best)in conjunction with a 3oz 3way rig. The lead length I use for the drop sinker is approx 2.5' and the lead to the rap is approx 4'. I try to maintain a 3 to 4' distance from the bottom when running them. You can pretty much fish this rig vertical when moving at 1.3 to 1.5mph, but as you move faster (which I am starting to do now) 1.8 to 2.2mph you must let more line out and therefore my line comes off the rod to the water in more of a 70 degree angle. It is very important that you use no-stretch line when doing this, or you will miss some of your strikes. This year I have started to use "PowerPro" 10/2 and I absolutely love it! It is a dynamite line and would recommend it to anyone who is considering trying a new line.

Good luck all

I'm new to this board. Lots of good info & tips. Truck's packed, boat's hitched up. All I have to do is wait for the wife to get off work.
I'm going to try the floating Rapala on a 3-way. Sounds good.Thanks

Ed

Try upsizing to the #11 in the Vampire Rapala or the Millenuim Stick Minnow in the Clown pattern. Both baits have excellent flash. With all the rain the lake has had, the water is more stained than normal. Having a bigger profile bait with some good flash, will increase your chances of getting attention. Also change out the bell weight with a Rudder Cutter weight from Gopher Tackle. It slices through water with little resistance giving you better control to keep the rig at a 45 degree angle. Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Fathead

Hello all,

Funny that you said that Dman, I was out last Friday and ran my #7 minnow raps without success, I then ran a #9 version and only caught one which was the only bite I had as well. I then switched to a #9 Red and silver floating rapala. The red and silver is not part of rapalas normal product offering, but I managed to stumble on these little gems this past spring. They were on clearance at Gander mountain. I am not sure if these were limited additions or not, but the price was right (.99 each). I hooked one of these puppies up and had very nice action with them. In four hours I had 17 pickups but only boated 7 fish. I definetely will be giving these another try this week!

I only have a couple of these red/silver raps, but was thinkiing about the vampire and clown styles when I was driving back fromthe lake. I told a buddy of mine about this and he will be out on Wednesday this week trying the clown and vampires.

I fished the mud on Friday, and caught all of my fish in 33 to 37' of water. THe key speed was definetely 1.8mph, nothing slower or faster produced any action.

From what I observed Friday, the fishing is almost grounded to a halt. I did not see any fish caught on Lindys, and only one fish caught on a slip bobber rig. I spoke to a couple of guys at the landing and they received the ole "goose egg" for their attempts that day. Tough, tough bite right now.