• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Joe Suits

New Boat Info?

Joe Suits

I'm wanting to purchase a Lund 1700 Angler, tiller model. The maximumhorse power rating is 85hp. Should I go with a 75hp or 90hp outboard? Also, any suggestion on which would be the best dealer to purchase from would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Joe

LundExplorer

Don't go over the max hp rating on the capacity plate, here are some reasons:
1. its one more thing you can get dinged for by the DNR.
2. it will be a tough sell when the time comes.
3. The hp ratings are there for a reason...safety.

Yamaha has an 80hp four-stroke tiller, I have a 50hp four-stroke console and love it.

TL

Tonka Boy

I'm not positive on this, but I think it is illegal for a boat dealer to even mount a motor that exceeds the recommended range.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Hey
the 1700 Angler is a good fishing boat i whould put a 75-80 hp tiller on it so you can get it down to trolling and yet get it up on plane quickly. Go to a dealer with a good reputation like (periz?)

later

You will have a heck of a time getting insurance on a boat with a motor that exceeds the manufactures recommendations. I would go with that 80 hp, Yamaha 4 stroke-Nice motor!!ScottS

Do not under power your boat.
Because you will spend a lot of cash on gas every time you use your boat to push it thru the water rather than riding on the water.

And never go over the max power so I would go with the Yamaha 80hp four-stroke.

Joe Suits

How do ya get a boat dealer to reply?? I have emailed and faxed, Crystal-Pierz, Hannay's Marine, Frankie's Marine, and Scott's Marine. None of the above have acknowledged my request for prices etc.

Thanks!!
Joe

Tonka Boy

Not that I hate Crystal Marine, but their service department is sort of untrustworthy. They like to add bogus charges and fix things that don't need fixing. They have a good selection of boats though. Just an FYI.

------------------
Tonka Boy

huskminn

Joe,

It has been my experience that boat dealers like to best talk price when one is at their place of business. I don't know if they are worried that the competition is contacting them for pricing updates or if they have very low returns from responding to faceless requests.

You might have to hit the pavement.

Good luck.

Thomas

i bought a boat from crystal, good price on the boat, but service for repairs sucks (since the boat is under warranty, they keep telling me that they are really busy and i can bring in the boat, but they couldn't tell me when they could get on it.) there parts dept. staff are not trained well.

For everyones information, you MAY put up to 10% larger hp then what is rated on the capacity plate, thus the reason for 28 hp, 55 hp, 88 hp, and so on, size motors.

Just a little FYI

PCG

LundExplorer

WHAT!!!

PCG Where did you get this? I had figured the oddball horsepowers on motors were due to the change in how they were rated which happened in the late 80's or early 90's???

TL

Team Otter

Get your 1700 Lund with an 80 Yamaha tiller at Ray's Sport and Marine in Grand Rapids. They will beat all the above dealer's by at least $3500.00. The rest of the Lund dealers in this state are clowns.

Remember, If you want Liability insurance on your boat, don't go over the manufactures recommendations!ScottS