• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Recommend a GPS?

Blaze

All right fellas...with the understanding that this might turn into a Ford -vs- Chevy type of debate, I wanted to ask for opinions on your GPS and what y'all would suggest for a GPS rookie. Here are a couple criteria to be considered:

1) Usability/features
2) Portability - use it for hunting as well as fishing
3) Cost - the cheaper the better! (easier to justify to the wife)

I was thinking about the new Garmin Rino 110 simply because of price. Anyone have one? Opinions on the Rino 110 or 120?

Thanks for the input guys,
Blaze

beeflover

Hey Blaze, I bought a Meridian last year and have been pretty happy with it. This has the latest technology for accuracy to abt 3 meters

has a big fingersize keyboard for making notes, this is good if ya wear glasses like me.

saw them at $200 in Cabela's fall catalog

------------------
luv, beefie

I bought a Magellan GPS Map12 about 3 years ago. Great unit. Shows roads and lakes throughout the US. I interface it with LakeMaster and download GPS points from my computer. Very easy to use. Uses 4 "AA" batteries, and from talking to other people, mine last alot longer. I had it in Montana last year Elk hunting. Did not work so well in the high timber, but I don't think any do. You can buy a Ram mount or two for your boat, car or bicycle. Good luck.

Blaze

BigBoy,

Thank you - you brought up a couple very good points in your post:

1) I'd prefer a rechargeable unit (plugs into a cigarettelighter, etc.), or else one that doesn't eat batteries for lunch
2) Is it standard for all the new GPSs to interface with your PC and download waypoints and software like LakeMaster? This is a must.

Thanks,
Blaze

Long Gray Line

I'll also recommend the Garmin Etrex line. They have alot of different models at different prices. They'll fit in your pocket, lock on quickly to the satellites and a couple of AA batteries lasts me all day of constant use. The specs say up to 12 hours, I'll vouch for that. You can check them out at the Garmin site www.garmin.com/outdoor/
Don't pay retail though. If you check out www.mysimon.com you can search for different vendors and their prices. I got mine through Ebay and paid $65 less than Cabela's or Gander or Bass Pro lists.

Whiskeywalleyes

Garmin Etrex

This work extremely well..However it does not have the map on it..
I would recomend this..
Very easy to use, if you have maps with gps cooridnates to get you started. From there you could upgrad after you get comfortible using it.
Cheap, easy to use and very portible... AA batteries...
check it out, i bought it a thursday and was able to used it on mille lacs the next day on the lake..
Galayan's $117.
Good luck..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0006173&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=cat21350&parentId=cat21350&parentType=index

Fisher Dave

Magellan Maridian series are all great GPS units. They are not the least expensive ... but they are very user friendly and an excellent map and navigation system. You can power them with a 12V battery or lighter plug. These are also weather proof, and very shock resistant. I have used my unit on potholes to lake Erie and always made it directly to where i needed to be... Not to mention traveling its very handy with highway maps built in.

I cant give these units enough credit .. worth more than what you pay.