• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hot or cold

I'm planning a trip in the middle of the week and wondering if the bites still hot and if morning is better than the evening.

Was up Sunday morning, fished from 6am-1:30pm on 5-mile gravel, boated 34 fish. Two under the slot, one in the slot and one 28.5", the rest were between 16-25.5". Copper spinners with leeches worked for us. I think the bite has slowed some as not many boats around us were catching fish and many boats would come and go, none really stayed around too long, which leads me to believe they weren't getting them like we were.

Up until yesterday my concerns with the fishery were based solely upon my couple of launch trips and the concerns of others. Yesterday I caught that 28.5" walleye, my largest walleye to date. At the time, on the boat the fish seemed heathly at first. But after getting him home; weighing him and comparing him to a couple of other fish from Mille Lacs from years ago, my concerns about the fishery have been heightened a lot! This fish barely tipped the scale at 6lbs, should have been well over 8lbs. The tail on this fish started right after the dorsal fin (12"+ of tail!), on the others that we have on the wall, the tail doesn't start until after the second fin, only a few inches of tail. While filleting this fish, I noticed that the rib cage had begun to collapse, a lot like what happens to some one who is anorexic. I am concerned, and others should be too, start writing letters and don't stop. These fish are starving, it is just some are staving a lot more than others!

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 07-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 07-08-2002).]