• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Small boat

Hi fellas,

I have a fairly shallow 14 foot boat, but a big desire to get on Mille Lacs this week. I have fished the lake right in front of Garrison a half a dozon times with a buddy's boat, but nothing else on the la\ke. I want to get out there this week, but am not sure oif there are areas where I may find fish, but not get swamped. Do any of you have areas for me? Or is is best I wait and make sure the day I pick is calm? Thanks.......

Spent last Wednesday on the lake with my 14'er and had no problem. Just look at the wind and figure out which way it's blowing. Go and fish the part of the lake where it's coming from.

I was out at Sloppys today (Saturday July 6) in 16 footer. It would have been safe for a 14. However, Friday afternoon the wind laid down a little on the way out to Sloppys then picked up and I can tell you, it would have been an unpleasant, even dangerous, ride 3 miles home in a typical 14. Especially with hot, turbulent conditions I just would not go way out, where you could not get in with less that 5 minutes of running time, don't overload, and be prudent. Expect to get wet if any waves at all. That is not a big deal when it is 90 degrees.

I started fishing the big lake in a S14 lund years ago and lived to tell about it. I watched the weather very carefully and got off at any sign of trouble. I fished the flats as well. The thing is you better be careful. I'd suggest fishing Sloppy's or some of the southern gravel or some of the mud like Sherman's which isn't too far a run from the west shore.

Ron

I fished the big lake for many years in a 14 foot boat, just use your head and you will be OK. The thing you have to watch out for the most is the "Idiot's" in the BIG boats.

I still fish the lake in my 16 foot lund with a 40 horse. it can get really rough at times but if you are not overloaded you can usually ride the waves, you just can not go at the speed you want and you have to leave the bilge running. common sence plays a major role in it. there are MANY spots close to accesses that are hot right now, if you feel nervous stay close to those spots, they all have fish on them right now.
Jon

If the wind is out of the right direction, the reefs in front of Myr Mar are normally good and hold nice smallies too! There is a flat just past the reefs not too far out there. As the others said:

1)Watch the wind and launch from the side of the lake it's coming from.

2)Be careful if the wind changes direction.

3)Don't wait until the weather gets bad - get off the lake at the 1st indication of incoming weather. It will get to you before you get to shore if you don't.

Have fun and be safe! You can fish this lake if you use common sense!

I just bot a 14' Lund shallow V with a 9.8Merc and I would be nervous about going more than 2 or 2.5 miles out. I don't have the boating experience or any bilge (other than piss cup). Appreciate the note about not loading to much in - I have been toting an extra marine battery and have yet to use it - might get rid of that. If I had a 16' deep V and watched the weather and wasn't in a big hurry - I imagine I could fish any of the flats quite a bit of the time. Is this so??? Thanks!

Fishing big water in craft too small is like limit testing equipment. You might do fine most of the time, but it only takes once to make the damage permanent.

Play it safe and live. There are plenty of good lakes more appropriate for 14 foot "shallow" watercraft.