• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone know anything about Island lake in Northholm? Is there fish to caught?

What do you want to know about the lake? Yes there are perch, walleyes, northerns and panfish if you can find them.
Good luck.

Kupcho

I am coming up there this weekend to fish Red. I am stying at a place on Island lake and was wondering if it would be worth spending any time there.

I have fished it before and had fair luck when I have been out. Mostly perch but a few pike and the occational walleye.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES

Thanks for the info Chad. I am going tomorrow. If Red is tough during the day, I will look up October Ridge.
Where do you guide out of?

------------------
SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!
fishseeker

Forget that last question. I see your link. SORRY. My cousin lives there. He is an avid fisherman. Works at Northland

------------------
SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!
fishseeker

fishseeker- what is your cousin's name? I grew up in Northome.

Island is a great lake to fish in the summer.

Woodman

Woodman~Were you able to fish Island much last summer, did you find the bite pretty steady throughout or was it better early season? We had folks hitting it early in the summer, but late in the summer folks were hitting other lakes so was just curious if in your experience it's steady throughout. I know it was good for some of our folks during the first couple of months of ice fishing~again, don't know how it did throughout the rest of this season. We're going to be hitting Island during open water and try to get to know the lake..at least somewhat!

You & Tiff have the chance to hit Blackduck lately? Perch bite has been going pretty good there since last weekend with a big slowdown today. Had some folks out there today and they were scanning but said they weren't biting, then they went to Winnie and caught a few and then that shut off, they said they were moving around and scanning them there too but they quit biting. Tomorrow's another day!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

HEY WOODMAN,
My cousin go's to Bemidji State. His name is Dustin Minke.
So you grew up in Northholm. Ever go to the Supperclub on Island Lake?

------------------
SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!
fishseeker

• 2 weeks later...

Fishseeker- I have been to Dockside a lot. It is the best place for RIBS!! My dad has a challenge to find better ones, but has been unsuccessful.

Drake- Tiff and I only fished Island a couple of days last summer. We did most of our fishing on the Pond. With a great tip from you, that is all we needed. I put away the ice fishing stuff on Sunday, so it is time to go pull the boat out of starage adn get it serviced. I need a new prop gasket this year.

Keep in touch,

Woodman

What is the deal with the pond? Where is it located? Is there fish in it?

------------------
SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!
fishseeker

Woodman, I agree with you and your dad. Dockside is a great place for ribs. And good service too.
Good luck on Island this coming year.
Kupcho

Kupcho- When do you head up to Island lake? I go up once in a while and fish with my mom and dad if the fishing has slowed down in the Bemidji area, or the fishing is HOT on Island.

Happy Fishing

Woodman

Woodman- I generally fish Island a few times each spring/ fall. I like fishing for the northerns in the lake during these seasons. The walleyes in the lake are definately something to brag about too. There are really nice size walleyes and northerns in there.
I mainly stay on other area lakes though instead of Island. I minly fish on blackduck, red, winnie and bemidji.

Kupcho

Kupcho- Good luck this summer. Hopefully we don't get too much snow today!

Woodman

Hey Woodman,
What lake are you referring to when you say the Pond? Are you referring to Red or Winnie, or something else?
Please let me know.

------------------
SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!
fishseeker

Woodman, you put your ice fishing gear away?! Oh no! Looks like they changed the forecast on us once again, the snow we were suppose to get yesterday didn't happen and now they just updated the forecast for today down to 1"-4", but the temps for the area are going to stay the way they predicted for the weekend so we should have no problems this weekend for ice fishing..you'll have to drag it back out for "one more trip to the Pond" This summer we're going to have to plan on hitting the open water with you and Tiff! Doesn't your dad hit Island quite a bit. (We'll be running into him more at work soon, got to get all the remodeling stuff..have to talk to him more about Island!)

Fishseeker~When Woodman refers to "We did most of our fishing on the Pond. With a great tip from you, that is all we needed" he's talking about Blackduck Lake.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

fishseeker- Drake is right, I was talking about Blackduck lake.

Woodman

Drake- You got that right! We will have to schedule an outing this summer. My father will have to give you all of his secret spots on Island so you can land some nice fish. Work on him a little and he will give in eventually!!

Keep in touch,

Woodman

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,
It's been a long time since the last post, but I have been keeping up on your notes. I love to hear any news about Island Lake, a favorite. Dad and the boys usually hit Island on Memorial weekend, and the action is great. Openers can be a little tough up there, but by the end of May and through June it's awsome. Not going to make it this year, the gang decided to try Bowstring. Nice to move around and try new lakes. I'll be planning on hitting Island beginning of June. You guys have any tips for fishing Bowstring on Memorial. I know it's a little south of your area of lakes. We're staying on the NE side of the lake, and I figure we'll probably work that end of the lake. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks boys!!
Dan

------------------

Dan (crappieslapper), I talked to you a little last year. How have you been? I do have tips on bowstring for you. What is your email? I send you some info when I get a chance.
Talk to you later

Kupcho

Jason,
Things are going well, thanks. Thank you for the tips on Island last year. I bought a map of Island from the University bookstore. Man, what a difference from what you see on the DNR site. There is so much more structure in that lake than I ever knew. I'm surprised I haven't busted up a couple of props or the lower unit when I see what I've been boating over. I plan on getting the map of Bowstring as well. They're really nice, poster size and waterproof, to hang on the wall of the cabin.
Are there any lakes you don't have info on? You da man!
My e-mail is [email protected]
Yes, one of those state employees trying to hang on to a job. Might have some extra time to take up more fishing in the near future. At least I know where the Gov plays hockey on Friday nights if I need to go take a few shots. Really appreciate your assistance Jason.
Dan

CrappieSlapper, Woodman, Fivebucks, Kupcho and the Drake's,

Well I've been lurking out here all winter and enjoying the discussion about hard water fishing. Now with opening day only a few weeks away I can look forward to my first trip to the north country. I will be fishing Island Lake starting June 7 (my 26th year). CrappieSlapper, it would be great to meet you if you're going to be on the lake at that time. I missed Fivebucks by a few days last August.

Over the past couple years Island is producing a growing population of smallmouth bass as well as good numbers of bull blue gills. I'm really looking forward to wetting a line.

I have been using the 5 x 8 laminated map of Island Lake sold at WalMart and at some of the area bait shops. Prior to that I had an old DNR map. I would appreciate more information about the lake map from the University bookstore. I would like to order a copy if possible. If you could give me a link, address or telephone number I would be grateful.

Hope to see you all soon and thanks for helping this old Indiana boy get through the winter.

Indiana Mike

I also hope to stop in at the Drake and say hello during the week.

Indiana,
It would be nice to meet up with some of you guys. One of these days. The info on the map is: Map ID #B3011, University Bookstore, 117 University Avenue, St. Paul 55155. The phone #'s are 651.297.3000 or 800.657.3757. I believe you can get the 8.5x11 or the poster size, and either regular or waterproof paper. I think they'd even laminate it for you. The poster size I got was $6.00. Great detail on it.
Sounds like you know when it's prime time up there. Twenty six years, huh. You must love the lake and know it well. Do you own property on the lake or stay at one of the resorts? I'm usually at Wolf Point (north side) or October Ridge (South side). I just cancelled for opener at Wolf Point if you need a place, but am hoping to re-schedule for the beginning of June. Will keep you posted on plans, perhaps a rendevous at the Dockside. Let me know if you have problems getting the map, I can always pick one up and stick it in the mail for ya.
Dan

Indiana,
I think we'll be able to hitch up this year. My wife and I are taking a week off starting the weekend of June 7th so there should be some time to wet a line and swap some stories. We'll talk more on that when it gets closer. I'll be up on Island the week b/4 MN opener to put the dock in etc. and will open on Island again. I wouldn't mind fishing on Winnie also but the boat ramp lines of an hour frustrate me too much especially when I can have my boat tied up on my dock and fish within 2 minutes from the cabin.
Crappie,
I may have to pick up one of those maps also. I picked up a large photo of the lake a few years back (I think thru a place on Excelsior Blvd. in St. Louis Park) It's pretty cool, you can see all the structure and everything.
Here's to seeing you boys on the water.
Fivebucks.

Indiana Mike~Crappie Slapper~Woodman
Indiana, hopefully this year we'll be able to see you on Island. We have a few of the area lakes that we want to spend on this summer to really get to know, and Island is in the top two. (That's a great advantage of living right here near all the lakes) We also have a more detailed map for Island than what is on the DNR site, but would like to see what the difference between that (the ones you can get at the bait shops) and the one that you got at the bookstore, is there a big difference in the two?

Indiana, I'm sure I asked you last year but can't remember, what part of Indy are you from? Again, maybe this year things we'll work out and we can see you on the open water!

There's some really good lakes to hit for walleye opener but more than likely, for opening day we're going to be hitting Blackduck Lake like we did last year. Woodman, are you going to be out there for opener too?

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

CrappieSlapper,

Thanks for the info on Map ID #B3011. Is this by any chance the same map as b3011012 found at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showmap.html?mapid=B3011
Just curious before I place my order.

The DNR also has aerial photographs posted for download and more detailed photos for purchase.

I presently do not have property on Island Lake but am interested in acquiring a place as I get closer to retirement. We have been staying at Bender's Camp since 1977 and made many friends among the regular guests who all seem to return year after year.

Drake,

The 5 X 8 map I have been using is from Lakemaps Inc. Minneapolis MN. I couldn't find a website. I can send you a scanned copy (without my secret spots) wink.gif if you would like to see one before ordering.

I briefly stopped in to meet both of you last August. I'm the fellow from Crown Point.

Maybe we can all link up with Fivebucks over at Dockside this June. That would be great. I'll even share some of my secret spots.

Let the games begin.

Regards,

Indiana Mike