• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

great fishing Huh?

when are you ever going fishing with us when the weather isnt as great as it was this week (again) with the light flurries and soft wind , glad you hung on the handle by the door, (in and out),Its great to go with me Huh? (go where no one dares to go) to bad the drifts were only 18" deep coming in; great reports that night though from the cabin crew

Russ~Something's not right, everytime you and Mike hit the ice together you two get the whiteout conditions! Jeff said he really enjoyed meeting you and your brother, said you were pretty funny..yep that would be Russ, good time! grin.gif Have to let us know when you and Judy are going to make it up here and hopefully the four of us can make it out on the ice together~that would be great!

Met some Forum folks this weekend, some stayin here and some popped in to say hi...always like that. BloomC where's your report on how you did at LOW...you had a great trip! Our folks that hit LOW said they sure didn't have the luck you had. Fishin' how did you end up doing at Upper Red?

We hit the ice on Saturday at Upper Red and just like last year the same theory holds true...if your not getting them move and you will find them. We got the icehouse set up and decided it was too cold for us to move it around and just stuck it out where we were..two crappies and they were from another year class 'cause these were 10-11". Fishing across the road from us a guy we knew had 8, and just down from us some guests had a couple houses set up next to each other and they brought in around 20, with one house producing more than the other.

But the bite on Red seems to be picking up because there were a lot of fish that came through here over the weekend, group of four had their limits, group of five had almost their limits, another guy got 9.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Drake (edited 01-20-2003).]

It was great to finally meet the Drakes! Or Mr. and Mrs. Drake, or whatever you fine folks go by! lol
I did find a few fish! Of course I got up there and the URL triangle must have messed with my mind because I forgot to clear the odomoter. Oh well, I just found a nice quiet spot away from everyone and set up camp. Had my first slab within the first 10 minutes! Then had a lot of fun releasing eyes that loved the red glow devil - even caught a 24" eye! That was fun - my bobber went down and as I went to grab the pole, my jigging pole went crazy. Got the big girl up and had to take both hooks out of her mouth - she was hungry!
Then things slowed down till about 4:30 when all hell broke loose!! I could only use one pole! The school had parked right under my hole! As fast as I could get the jig and minnow down it was inhaled! Sometimes my line would stop about 5 or 6 feet down and I would reel up and have a fish on, so they were suspended. Well, lets just say I should have had a limit as I lost 4 or 5 in the hole, one that was on the ice and flopped back into the hole and 5 or so more at the bottom of the hole and not to mention the dozen minnows I had stolen! That all happened in a half hour. Just like that it was done - I looked at my watch and it was 5:01. I didn't have another bite and left just after 6:00. I ended up with 5 slabs to take home - 2 of which were of a younger year class that you mentioned you caught some of in one of your posts. We may just have a few more years of slab fishing!!
It was by far the best trip to URL yet. Can't wait to get back up there!

Can't wait to get into some perch on Blackduck. When do the perch start moving into the shallows? I think it was Feb last year, but can't remember for sure. We kept a few eyes, so they were still in season.

Well - gotta get to my Macro-Economics... YUCK!

------------------
Clueless - -

hey everyone, I was out to Blackduck this weekend and the perch fishing was still pretty good in 22 feet of water. I got 15 saturday morning and 10 on sunday morning. Saturday afternoon I caught 7 northerns.
Good luck
Kupcho

This past weekend's fishing had mixed results. From Upper Red Lake the fishing ranged from a couple of groups of two catching their limits down to a group catching four, and everything imbetween (2 had 5, two had 13, etc.) A few fish were caught in the daytime hours, but the best results were bite times in the 6pm to 8pm range. Folks were heading out in the five mile range from Westwind, Hillmans and Hudecs and the two mile range from Morts and Rogers. Folks were saying that they were getting their bites on the Angel Eye Jr.'s in the pink and white and the red, as well as a plain red hook tipped with a minnow.

The temps hovering at zero and the windchills had a big effect on folks not moving around..for the most part it was pick a spot and stay there, but the look at the forecast is showing that it's going to warm up and folks can be more comfortable moving around. Plus the pressure has dropped, wherein last week it was much higher.

None of our folks hit Blackduck this weekend, but talking with a couple of locals who made it out last week was that the reports were spotty..and again, the temperatures had them from doing much moving around.

Clueless~Yes, it was last year in February when it really kicked in and we started having our good luck on the jumbo perch in Blackduck Lake. That bite held strong for quite awhile. Still have a picture hanging in our office of seven guys holding a stringer of their limits of Jumbo Perch who had fished Blackduck last April, and another picture in May of a group of four with their jumbo perch.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

we had very, very good luck from the cabin guys and sleeper in our secret spot on Red, with no roads plowed to it; shovel and snap rope better be top items as they head out, the wind hasnt given up; if someone cant find a place they better check you out first. want to try getting there on Jan 30 or 31; we like old mil or canadian mist with a dash of real 7up, not that diet stuff;
the power generator will be with us; if Bad Dan is coming along were sticking him with the tab ; OK!!! snap fizzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thank you for your reports on red clueless and drake. I'll be up there this weekend, to blackduck and to red.
Talk to you later. I'll let you all know how I did when I get back.

Kupcho

Russ & Judy~if you are heading up on the 30th let us know and maybe we can hook up with you on the ice, one of our boys is coming up Thursday and said he'd watch the place so we can hit the ice together. Now if Judy & I are along we don't want you & Mike to cause a white out again grin.gif

One of the guys Mike was up with yesterday had some major vehicle problems, so that kept them busy on the ice, but talked to two of our other guys this morning and they pulled in 19 crappies yesterday that weighed up to 1.6 pounds.

Still trying to get Big Bad Dan up here, talked to him the other night and he hasn't got his work schedule figured out. Hey, just checked the fridge there's still an ole Mil in there for ya!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Hey Drake.......
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, was out of town and have been busy here at work to check in as often. I posted my report on the l.o.w. forum. Good fishing!