• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A friend of mine and I are coming up to try the Crappies on URL. Being complete novices to the area, we were wondering if anyone would be willing to share any local advice about what to do during the days before the crappie bite gets going. Any good panfish, perch or northern spots that are good during midday?? Drop me a line in my email if you prefer ([email protected]), and I'll understand if everyone wants to keep the local secrets just that (secret), but thanks to everyone just the same.

Tony

Hi Stiff and welcome to the Blackduck Forum. There are several different lakes around here that folks hit during the morning & afternoon hours before heading up to Red. We normally hit Blackduck Lake since it's only a mile from us. Last year it started out being walleyes and as the ice fishing season continued it turned into great perch. Spots on the lake changed as the season went on, so it will be interesting to see if the same spots are good during the same part of the season as last year.

We have a lot of folks who also hit Winni in the early part of the day throughout the whole ice fishing season. Right now (early ice and early morning) the Three Island has been producing several northerns (today we had 8 guys nearly get their limits of northerns going up to 11 pounds and were back here by 2:00) as well as a few nice crappies. This particular spot is generally really good at the beginning of the season and tends to slow down.

We have heard some good things about Dora and Island but haven't ice fished either one personally (we've only been here a year...so many lakes so little time), but both have the eyes...we have some folks who headed to Island this morning so look forward to their report. There are a LOT of lakes in the area that are worth giving a try. Good luck and let us know how you do!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Hey stiff, welcome to the blackduck forum. A real good lake to fish during midday is the lake where your going crappie fishing. URL! There are a lot of northerns in the lake. There are a lot of anglers who fish northerns there during the day then head to the cribs during evening hours.
Personally I think the best lake in the area is Island lake for northerns. There is a great population of northerns in there and there are some really nice fish in the lake. Maybe even the occasional walleye in the day. The perch in the lake are good size fish also.
good luck, stick to the reeds on Island and you should get some good results.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]

Thanks for all the good ideas. What is the water clarity like on those lakes? I'm thinking of setting up a portable spearing house and angling from it. I love watching the show in the spearing hole, but I'd rather let most of the fish (northerns) go. If Island has bullrushes, it must be fairly clear.

Stiff- If you are heading to Island for some Northerns, go straight out from the access and stay to the right along the weeds. Anywhere along those weeds is great spearing. I used to spear there when I was growing up.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Woodman

Something else I forgot to ask about... I f we are staying near Northome, where is the best place to get bait? I tend to take it for granted that bait will be available, but I know that's not always true when you travel.

If you are staying near Northome go to town to the SPUR gas station they have bait and all the fishing stuff you need.

Woodman