• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's time to head north

Well, it's been a while, but finally got some time scheduled to fish. And what better before a fishing trip, than to contact those "in the know" on how the lakes are producing. For me, it's Island Lake the second weekend in September. Any of you guys been out there lately? Fivebucks, Indiana Mike, Drake? I know you all enjoy fishing the area lakes. Wish I could get up there more often.
Could you give me any updated info on the lake? Certainly be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the update,
DT

Crappieslapper,

I'm heading up to Island Lake tomorrow for a week of fishing. I'll post when I return and let you know the scoop!

Indiana Mike

Just talked to my father who lives in Northome and he said the panfish bite is on and the walleyes are in the lake somewhere. He has not heard good reports from the locals lately.

Woodman

We haven't fished Island in September so not much help. If you find that Island is slow, you might want to take a spin over to Blackduck as the walleye bite kicks in pretty good in the fall.

Woodman~Does you dad know if the walley bite kicks back in on Island once the temps start dropping some?

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Indiana,
Should be prime time up there. Have a good trip. Look forward to your report.
Dan

Drake- In the fall we are busy hunting and getting ready for deer hunting. We have not done much fall fishing on Island, so I can not give you a good answer. I do plan to hit it at least once this fall on one of my hunting and scouting trips. I will keep you posted when I talk to dad.

Please let me know when the landing is open again.

Happy Fishing

Woodman

I've been on Island in late September before and have done real well. On the other hand I've also been there in September/October and only caught a couple. Lot of it had to do with weather conditions I think. Hopefully Indiana returns with a good report.
DT

Talked to Indiana Mike earlier today and he's been fishing on Island since Friday. He said the fishing was going slow (couple walleye and perch). Told him that Blackduck had the better bite the last couple of days in the afternoon versus the early evening and he said he was going to give it a shot this afternoon.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Crappieslayer,
Haven't been on Island fishin for a couple of weeks but I'll be on the water over Labor Day weekend. In past years it seems that they start back in again over Labor Day. I'll keep you posted as to how I do.

Drake,
If you see Indiana Mike again and he's on Island still on Labor Day Sat. tell him to swing by if he gets the chance.

Fivebucks.

Crappieslapper:

My fishing report for Island Lake is generally poor. After a week of heavy fishing I caught only one 2lb. walleye and 15 9" plus perch. I did also catch some smaller perch and northern pike. The other guests at the resort reported similar results.

Crappieslapper:

Continuing from previous post. The weather last week was mostly clear, light or calm winds and warm temperatures. This is generally not the best weather for fishing Island Lake. The water temperature was also quite warm.

Some nice blue gill were caught east of Fox Bay in and around the reeds.

Most of our fishing consisted of slow trolling lite weight jigs and Little Joe spinners near the bottom. We fished shallow and deep. I tried minnows, crawlers and leeches.

Perhaps you will have better luck expecially if the lake begins to cool down.

Please let us know how you do.

Indiana Mike

Fivebucks:

I'm sorry I missed you. Had to leave at 8:00 AM on Saturday morning. I believe I found your cabin. Is it on the east side of Spook Island? It looks very nice. Your only a short sprint away from some of the best spots on the lake.

I'll be back north again next June. Hope to meet you then.

One other note for Crappieslapper. The fishing was very good off the Dora Lake bridge. A large number of good sized perch were caught throughout the week. So if Island does not improve you may still be able to catch some fish at the bridge.

Regards,

Indiana Mike

Drake:

It was nice to meet the both of you last Sunday and put some faces to the posts. I did get down to Gilstad and fished off the pier for a brief period. Gilstad is very picturesque and the shore facilities are also quite nice. No fish to report but I was only there for about 30 minutes.

My Minnesota fishing is finished for this year so I will look forward to the forum for postings on the area. From time to time I might add a word or two from this end.

Regards,

Mike

Mike~It was good to meet you too...like you said it's always good to put a face with the names! Our weekend has been pretty hectic so we haven't been able to hit the lakes this weekend frown.gif and most of the folks we are chatting with this weekend are bear hunters, so no fishing reports from us. Hopefully we can get back out soon.

Keep postin!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Indiana Mike,
Yup, that's our place in progress just a stone's throw east of Spook Island. I like our location on the lake, I usually don't have to boat too far to start fishin. (just off the dock sometimes). I fiqured you'ld probably have to hit the road early on Sat. I should be up there most of June next year so we can hook up then. I had similar fishing luck as you had although the wind was really howling the last couple of days but that didn't shake things up for me.

Crappie Slayer,
I wish I had better news for you for your up-coming trip. I picked up one nice eater eye on a jig & shiner and a couple of jumbo perch to round off a meal. I mostly jig fished in numerous spots on the south side of the lake. When the wind was howling I hit the windy shores trolling shads etc. but no luck there. I would just watch your electronics and try to find some active fish. The one eye I caught was gorged with 1" perch I surprised it even bit. It was a very light bite vertical jigging very slow if that helps you out. Good luck.
Fivebucks.

Guys,
Thanks for the reports. We've decided to put the trip off until temps start to cool. Thought it was time, and now we're back up to 85-90. Thinking about the beginning of October instead, we'll see what the weather does.
Have you guys heard any reports about the crappies on Red? Those things are incredible. Might have to pay them a visit too.
Thanks again and I'll report back on the fishing.
Dan

I hear what your saying crappieslapper. The temps are very warm for this time of year. Red lake should be a lot of fun for crappies and the big northerns. A lot of the northerns that are caught over 20lbs are in october.
Talk to you later. Can't Wait!!!

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]