• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Action on North Twin

I will be heading to North Twin on Wednesday for a long weekend. Has anyone fished either Twin lately? What if anything has been the most productive? Since I will be up there for a couple days I am going to be going for crappies, northern and the eyes. Any info would be great! Thanks!

James, I haven't been out to either of the Twin lakes in quite a while. Fishing earlier in the year wasn't too bad. I would think that the crappies and sunfish should be a problem catching. The walleyes might be a little more of a struggle though. Fishing in the area hasn't really been the best here lately. Its pretty slow around most lakes. Evening and morning are still the best times. But the sunfish are really liking this warm weather.
Good luck.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]

Hi James and welcome to the Blackduck Forum. Looks like your coming up to the area at a good time, the weather is suppose to be good (70's) this week and the fishing has been productive. One bad note is we had quite a bit of rain last night which could have an effect on the fishing for the next couple of days.

For North Twin the panfish have been biting, although no record breaking sizes. South Twin has also produced some bluegills as well as some bass along the weed edges.

Also in the same area is Gilstad and Pimushe Lakes which we have been getting good reports on for crappies the last couple of weeks. They are not the pounders that you see at Upper Red (which not many folks have hit lately with the wind they have had the last week), but they are still some nice eaters. At Gilstad you can get some good sunnies also.

For walleyes, we have some folks who are going to be hitting Blackduck in the next couple of days (the public access is still closed, but a couple of the resorts are allowing folks to access at their resort), but I got a report late last week that the eyes were in 12 to 22 feet of water, it's going a little slower right now though. Arrow had posted that they had caught some eyes on Cass Lake last week in the middle of the day (See "Crankbaits" topic). He also mentioned good walleyes at Moose fishing early mornings casting the points. Another lake to try at this time of year for walleyes would be Three Island Lake.

Also heard that at Big Lake the muskie bite was going really well fishing the weed edges.

Good luck and let us know how you did on your fishing trip!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Drake (edited 08-12-2002).]

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't post my results from the last trip. Countless northerns. Most were in the no kill slot, so they were released. Had great luck in the shallows with blue buzz baits, and trolling the 15'to 25' zone with shad raps and tail dancers. Didn't pull many walleyes, had a good 19" eater though. A couple of us are back up again this weekend. How's the weather forcast look? I don't trust the metro weather guys for an accurate northern MN forcast. Jumbo leeches are becoming harder to find down here, what's the scoop up there?

I have been to North Twin quite a few times now. Good numbers of fish, a few big ones if you put in the effort. The thing that keeps me coming back is the total lack of pleasure craft. Except for the HP limit lakes, you just don't find that in the metro.
Any feed back would be great!

James

Hey James~It is pretty nice to get on these lakes up here and for the most part all that's out there are other fishing boats, no one zooming by you! Some of the smaller lakes there are days where there are only a couple of us out there on the water...pretty peaceful.

Know what you mean about the weather as we watch the news from down in the cities and especially last winter it was amazing to see how off they were..one time they said that we were having a major snow storm and it was gorgeous outside! Our local is showing temps in the mid to upper 70's and lows in the mid 50's for the weekend, and right now Saturday is showing a chance for a scattered thunderstorm and isolated storm possible on Sunday. That could change, anything over 3 days out is unpredictable.

Blackduck has been producing walleyes more in the afternoons...shad raps as well as Little Joes and worms. Now today we did have a pretty good storm (and a chance of more in the morning), so who knows what that's going to do to the fishing the next couple of days, hopefully it will be all settled down before the weekend. Pimushe is pretty slow this week. Rabideau is hitting good on panfish, with some really nice size bluegills, again worms have been the ticket bobber fishing a couple feet down along the weedbeds.

Haven't bought any leeches in a couple of weeks 'cause we had some left and just finished them off Sunday, so not much help to you there.

Hope you can make it back up and get some fishing time in. Let us know if you do!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Just got back form North Twin. Fishing was pretty good. We had our best luck going for Northerns in around 20' to 35' using short fat body cranks. Bright yellow and brown were working the best. Sunday night we pulled Lindy rigs along a ledge between 17' and 35' boated a couple eater walleyes. Biggest 'eye was 24 1/2". Not bad for only walleye fishing one night, for about and hour and a half.
On the way back we had F.O.R.D trouble, maybe somebody saw the red dead explorer on 39 Sunday. Got help from a super nice family right by the Moose Lake Lodge/Resort sign.