• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Drake - Blackduck pointers please?

Hello Drake,
I'll be in the area this weekend and was considering trying Blackduck for some walleye action if we can't get into any on Dora.(I'm 5 miles from Dora and I hear they were biting there also)
I've never been on the lake before and would appreciate any pointers.
-public access ? (I'm told E shore in the park)
-hot spots ?
-best time of day, morning, evening, or does it matter ?
-presentations / depths ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions !
Chris

Hi Twitter~I heard the walleyes were still biting well on Dora, even for folks fishing off the bridge since the water temps are still not too hot.

Blackduck~The public access is off of 30 a/k/a Summit Avenue. It's the road that has Texaco (Timberline Sports) on one side and Countryside Restaurant on the other. Just follow that road a couple of miles and it will run right into Blackduck Lake.

Chores and ball practice are keeping us off the duck today, but just talked to some folks who got off Blackduck around 3 this afternoon and the three of them brought in 15 walleyes and 3 northerns, as well as a pound bluegill that they released. They were using what worked well last week, which was a black jig with a white eye tipped with a leech and one tried a green spinner tipped with a night crawler. Fishing was done by drifting in the 12 to 20 foot range, with the majority in the 17 foot range. There are several bars, some around the island and some just to the north of the access that have been very good producers this past week.

On Sunday there were several spots where folks were anchored and bobber fishing in clusters and doing well to the west of the island, and a couple were anchored just off the east of the island that were doing Very well! We were just out for a couple of hours so we decide to try some different things and troll around the island. Using a green little joe tipped with a leech on one and a yellow little joe tipped with a minnow we caught a couple of walleye and a northern and lost a couple more.

Good luck to you this weekend...let us know how you do smile.gif

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Drake,
Thanks for the great reply !
With that information and a little luck, we may just have a chance at an eye or two! grin.gif
I saw they were doing pretty well off the bridge at Dora a couple weeks ago, but I never went down there 'cause the sunnies and crappies were cooperating so well on my own lake.....why leave the comforts of home when the fish are bitin' ....and the bar's closer wink.gif
This weekend (if the rain ever stops) we're going after some eyes.
I'll try to stop by and say Hey if we come over to BlackDuck.
Thanks again for the quick reply !
Chris

Hey Twitter, DO stop by and say hey if you get over this way, would love to meet ya and see how you did fishing!

Had a couple of folks who fished the duck yesterday late afternoon and they brought in three walleye and a northern. They were using minnows, so still think that you would do better off with crawlers. They said as they were getting off the landing was getting really busy and they had talked to folks who were doing really well for the night bite, hmmmm.

What lake to do you live on?

Good luck and hope to meet you this weekend and see your limit of eyes!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Drake,
So you think crawlers are a better bet than leeches ? I'll be sure to have a little of everything. With the forecasted weather this weekend I may be out alone most of the time. frown.gif My better half has a thing about lightning .....she was struck about 7 years ago (thank God she survived it !)and she runs for cover every time the skies get grey.....I can't really blame her for not wanting to be on the boat in inclement weather. wink.gif
I've got a place in Wirt, on Bass Lake. The panfish and bass fishing is usually good enough to keep us there,(great action for the kids 90% of the time) but the walleyes are pretty tough to come by so we're going to venture out to some of the nearby honey holes this year. If it's raining early tomorrow morning I'll probably try Dora first and after breakfast try to make a run over to Blackbuck for the afternoon/evening.
I'll be sure to stop in when I'm in town.
Hope to see ya this weekend !
Take care, and thanks for the help !
Chris

Out of the fish yesterday afternoon there were a little more caught on crawlers than on leeches, but the leeches produced well too. The other half of the Drake team just headed out to the lake, so will let you know his results as I think he was going to try both.

Heard Bass Lake was good for panfish and also bass. Got a little guy and he likes the lakes where theres some action as his attention span is not the longest if he's not catchin fish!

Good luck!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Hey Twitter, did you end up hitting Blackduck or Dora this weekend? Friday was Blackduck in the afternoon and five wally's came home. Saturday was too rainy for much fishing...they said we were suppose to get bad storms yesterday but it turned out to be a nice day, were you able to get out to the lake and get some fishing time in?

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Hey Twitter- Small world. We bought a lot on your lake (Bass) earlier this year. Did quite a bit of homework as to the area, lake, etc. before we bought-I think we made the right decision. Anyway, we are on the west/southwest side of the lake, just a little north of the farm on the south end of lake. I was glad to hear that the bass/panfish action is good there.. we have kids and will be buiulding a year round home up there,god willing,net summer. The lake has no public access-which usually means better fishing/less pressure. Where are you on Bass? When we closed on our property(March) we walked out a ways on the lake. All we saw was the farm on the south end, and what looked like about 2 or 3 homes on the north end. We will be staying at a resort on North Star 6/29-7/6 and plan to make a few trips to our property over there. Any info on Bass or othjer places close by to check out would be greatly appreciated. If you would rather not post here- contact me through here and I will get back to you w/ my personal e-mail. Thanks- 8-Ball.

Drake,
We didn't get to the cabin until late Friday evening. Got into a few nice bass (of course, hers were the biggest wink.gif)and a couple nice sunnies worth keeping that night at home, and went out to Dora before the rain hit on Saturday afternoon. Managed to get a couple nice eyes and a few small northerns out of Dora, one 25" walleye that we released and a couple good eatin size. But, when the heavens opened up around 2PM we headed for the cabin, a hot meal, and a cocktail or two. Man!! did it RAIN ! We got 4" in my rain gauge in 12 hours.
Hopefully we'll make it to Blackduck on the next trip in a couple weeks.

8-Ball..talk about a small world .....I see you're from New Brighton. How long have you been there ? We probably know a lot of the same people, I grew up in St. Anthony and live NE now.
I know exactly where your lot is.......right behind the second little bay on the West side where the best action usually is.
My place is on the North West end. There's one home on the very North end that looks all the way down the lake, than there's another one SW of them and I'm the next house on the W shore.
Send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to give you more detail about the lake. We've been there for about 10 years now. Great grouse, deer, and fishin' !
You realize it's less than an hour away from URL don't you ?! grin.gif ....and than only another 45 minutes to LOW ....talk about GODS country !
Well....this is getting WAY too long, gotta get back to work.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 06-25-2002).]