• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Creek Kid

What should we have done different?

Creek Kid

With the exception of 3 charter trips I've taken, this past weekend was my first time on the big pond. We put in by Bayview and drifted leeches on 3-ways w/a 6' leader and 1oz bell sinker. There was a strong South wind that seemed to drift us at a very nice pace and we marked tons of fish. From what we could see, the other boats around us were using about the same rig as we were with lots of success. We only put 6 in the boat all day long. We had a great time but no where near the success that I've been hearing about. I'm planning on gettting there again in the next few weeks but can anyone tell what we did wrong? Location? Presentation? Or was it just bad luck? Sure would like to get into them a little better next time.

DUCKJ

TOOK MY CUZ OUT THERE YESTERDAY MORNING AT 5:30AM WHEN THE WIND WAS PRETTY CALM AND THE FISH BIT GOOD. WHEN THE WIND PICKED UP, THE FISHING SLOWED DOWN. THE WIND DIED DOWN, THE FISHING PICKED BACK UP. SO I THINK THAT THE SPEED HAD ALOT TO DO WITH IT. THE SLOWER THE BETTER.
HAPPY HUNTING
DUCK

Creek Kid,

I would say that Duck is onto something. I had two drift socks out yesterday to slow down our pace. If you had to use a 1 oz sinker to stay in contact with the bottom odds are you were drifting too fast. We were using a 1/2 ounce sinker, 4 foot snell with a single green bead and a red hook. Had no problems catching fish all day long.

------------------
Paul
PWaldow123@attbi.com

BarryG

Does bead color and hook color really make that big of a difference? I don't get to fish for walleye that much and would do all I can to up my chances of connecting. Thanks!

Just curious as to what color bead you guys like to use. I like to use a red bead. Also when using a floating snell what color float do you like to use in your snell. I have been using yellow and was curious as to what others are using. Has your luck been better on a floating snell or a regular snell?

creek kid, these guys are right, but if you can't slow down try switching to a spinner rig with a bottom bouncer. It's better to make your own and keep a longer leader. keep trying and you'll get'um.

DUCKJ

ORNG OR CHAR HAVE BEEN WORKING GREAT FOR ME W/ A RED HOOK
HAPPY HUNTING
DUCK

Thomas

if you don't have a drift sock, you can use a 5 gallon pail in a pitch to slow the boat down.

Creek Kid

Hey, thanks for all the posts! I'm glad to hear that we weren't too far from what we were supposed to be doing. Don't have a wind sock but will definitely use the trolling motor more next time. Will the wind usually push you enough to turn a spinner? It's awful hard to tell how fast you are drifting. Should you leave a floater on a spinner rig? I tried backtrolling into the wind w/a rapala and wave wackers didn't even keep me dry enough to take the idea too seriously. She was a breezy one on Saturday! Are you guys using bottom bouncers or 3-way swivels? Hope the bite stays good for a while. Can't wait to get back out there! Good luck!

Tonka Boy

Yep, you're going too fast. If you don't have a drift sock, try using the trolling motor to slow your drift. I used mine last Saturday and immediately noticed the difference. Although a drift sock is much easier to use. Good luck next time!

------------------
Tonka Boy