• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The great weather is reminding us opener is just around the corner and going to go get the boat and bring it up. Now the question is which lakes to try first...Blackduck is on the top of the list for the walleyes as it's great in May and the lake offers so much structure.

Heard Leech, Winnie and Island are good in May, so may lakes to choose from smile.gif Anyone have a favorite lake around opener?

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Lakes around opener..... hmm.... Like you said too many lakes too little time. I always fish Blackduck on opener. The shallows with a jig and a minnow are deadly.
I also like to fish Island, Moose, Winnie, Gull, and a few others during may. My favorite spring spot, next to blackduck is Red lake... I love catching crappies hand over fist. People who haven't been on Red lake on open water are missing out. I personally have had much greater success in may for crappies than march. Can't wait for open water!!!

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]

What types of jigs and/or colors work best for you on the Duck? I know last year just about everything was working--fuzzy grub, jig heads w/minnow, etc...

FTP

Hey Flood, Last year I had the best luck on the chartruse fuzzy grub. Lighter weight worked better. Tipped with a minnow. I didn't use any crawlers or leeches last spring. Leeches in June for me seem to work better.
You got that right about last year. It seemed every kind of jig worked out great. I had the best luck with the fuzzy grub though.
I usually don't go to a roach rig or lindy rig until later spring or early summer. Unless if the fish are spooky.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

I have read many posts saying that Blackduck is a great walleye lake esp. for the opener. I have looked at a map of the lake and it seems featureless in the sense that is generally fishbowl shaped with no dramatic dropoffs or humps. Yet I read that there is a lot of structure. Is the structure being referenced actually rock piles, transition zones (mud/sand, gravel/rock) or what exactly? Just curious. Maybe I need a better map. I am staying at the Drake on the 16th - 18th and was hoping to hit Blackduck and Red. Any suggestions? What about pike? I've read that the Red has some monsters.
thanks in advance for any help.

eriksj

So what do you mean by shallows? How deep do you find them during opener? I have never fished opener for walleye, and this year would like to try. I live on lake Beltami, so coming to Blackduck, isn't a long trip at all. Also, how soon do you start finding those jumbo perch and where? I had a lot of fun this winter catching them in 5 feet of water.

Thanks for your help,

Clueless - -

Erik,

Welcome to the forums of FM.com. You have definately posted your questions in the right place. I'm sure that Kupcho or the Drake will give you some great starting points.

I will be on both of these lakes a few days before you get up there, so I will also post some info after that.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Pwaldow123 (edited 05-02-2002).]

Hi Ericksj and welcome to the forum! There is a lot of structure and weedbeds in the lake, as well as several bars and a couple of islands. The bottom content is 90% sand and 10% muck. You have Blackduck River which runs into it on the northside, Beaver Creek on the south as well as a small creek which runs into Crandall Lake.

Clueless~The island towards the middle is a great starting point around opener for fishing for walleye. You are definitely right about the jumbo perch in Blackduck smile.gif Start off by fishing in the weedbeds for the perch. We were at Blackduck last week, just driving around checking the ice/water and could see the perch swimming along the shoreline in the weedbeds.

By the time you get here on the 16th we hope we will have been on Blackduck Lake at least a couple of times so hopefully we can point you in the right direction. We also have a map of the lake that we will be glad to give you!

Red Lake does have some HUGE pike in it. We have one picture on our wall of a guest from this winter holding a 42" pike, but we have also seen pictures of other folks who have had them up to 50". We will be searching for them this spring ourselves. One of the folks that grew up on Red stated that the pike fishing is the best in August, another mentioned trying around the crappie cribs in the spring for the pike as the pike will be near there waiting to feed on the crappies.

Right now on Upper Red the water temps are around 40 which is walleye spawn temperature, crappies spawn on Upper Red when the water temps get in the high 60's. We have gotten a few reports of folks catching a few crappies right now, and a lot of walleye (which you can't keep on Upper Red at any time). By the time you get here, the water temps should be about right for some fantastic crappie fishing!

We also have posted in the office the GPS coordinates for the reservation boundry line that you may want to plug in before heading to Upper Red if you plan on going out far on the lake.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Drake (edited 05-02-2002).]

Hey Erik and clueless. Welcome to the forum Erik! Your question about structure is a very good one. The answer is yes Blackduck has a good variety of structure. But, I have yet to find a map that shows that there is structure out there. The main structure is sand and mud on the bottom. There are a few rock piles out there too. However, there are a lot of drop off's in this lake. I would like to say to get a good map, but I haven't found one either! Blackduck has a lot of humps and bumps, ledges and other structure that holds walleyes.

Clueless- What I mean by shallows is 6-9 feet deep. As for Perch, I catch a lot of perch with the walleyes. Fish for walleyes and perch should be right in there with them. Its been a fairly cold spring, so fishing should be really good in that depth range. Go north after the landing about 1/2 mile or so and fish outside of the reeds. Last spring this was a hot spot. Even out in front of the landing was good too.

Red lake definatly has some monsters in there. A lot of 30-40 inch northerns. And a few 40-46+. These are nice northerns and are a lot of fun! Crappie action should be really hot on red anytime now, for the next few weeks. Blackduck also has some hog crappies in there too. Not as many though, and they are harder to find.

Good luck with opener.
I'll be on Blackduck for opener. See you on the water!

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Thanks Paul,
Lakemaster seems to be the only mapping system worth getting. The maps that the DNR provide are basically worthless for detailed humps and bars.
Something for everyone to look into.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Thanks for the welcome and great info guys. We'll have to keep the info flowing as the opener nears. I can only say that I am almost wishing my turkey season away to get at some early season walleyes.

Thanks!

Erik

Paul~Is this a program that you have and use? If so, is Blackduck one of the lakes you have chosen and if it is, could you bring a copy of that map with you? I would like to compare the two lake maps if possible to see what types of differences it shows.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Thanks Paul,
I'd be very interested in seeing that.
Erik, Have fun turkey hunting. The walleyes should still be going strong the 16th - the 18th. Shoot a gobbler and then come and get a limit or two of walleyes! (depending on how many people you have with you). Food for the freezer!
Talk to you all later.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service