• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How'd you do?

riverrat56

Just wondering how everyone did today? i couldnt get out because i had to work my grandmas auction and i have a football game tonight. i get in on the action tomorrow though. Anyone reports for brown county area?

I am working all weekend but plan heading out tommrow. Probably heading down to some public land south of the city. Anybody know if most of the corn is up or down? Everything around my place is still up. I'm guess it's that way everywhere.

Went out by myself with the two dogs for about an hour and a half, got one right away and saw two more but they were through the trees, went today with dad and saw 5 roosters and 3 hens, all the roosters ran into the corn and the dog would flush them and they flew the wrong direction, way too much standing corn yet, two weeks will make a big difference, most farmers are just finishing up soybeans and geting to the corn as we speak.

My buddy and I went down south of Osakis yesterday and put up 13 birds,but only 2 were roosters and he managed to get 1.Almost all the corn is still standing. We hunted most of the day,and all on public land. Lots of other hunters.

Went out today with 4 guys we got up 4 birds in 6 hours 3 hens and a rooster which we knocked down and lost. we looked for 30 mins with the dog and 4 people and couldnt find it. way to much corn still out.

Six guys, 5 dogs and we hunted all day Saturday we got six roosters. Two others were missed. We hunted state land near the S Dakota border. There were more pheasants hunters in the area then I have ever seen on opener. Way too much standing corn.

Today 5 guys and 4 dogs hunted state land near the Benson area for 4 hours and we saw one pheasant, a hen. Very slow.

Four guys, two dogs, hunted some private, some WMA's. 9 flushes, 2 roosters, 7 hens. None in the bag. Same unlucky shooter, who won't be named got very easy shots (according the rest of us). Soon as those roosters hit the jet stream, they turned into rockets.

Sunday, Son and a friend, went out today, hunted for three hours, flushed a ton of birds, many roosters and brought home three. Two young birds and one mature, probably last years hatch. Tlhey were hunting a small piece of private property with some stripped corn and CRP close by.

All in all, not a bad opening weekend. LIke everbody else, found way to much standing corn. Places you can't find a bird right now will be golden in a month. Lot of the areas are very wet also.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I took Paris my lab out hunting for his first pheasant hunt this afternoon. He and I bagged two out of three Roosters. Also kicked up 7 hens.

He was not into the hunt until he kicked up the first rooster and retrieved it (I shouldn't have let him play with my brothers sheepdog in the early afternoon just before heading out). After the 1st bird he was a maniac.

I hunted just SE of Faribault and about 10%-15% of the corn looks like it's down. A lot still standing.

Saturday my son & I with our GSP put up 21 birds in about 4-5 hrs of hunting, brought home 3 and couldn't recover #4 for our limit (he dropped hard but ran like a greyhound). Lots of young birds.

The wife and I spent the afternoon in the woods checking out the deer stands and looking for Grouse. We heard one Drumming so I went after it with the dogs in some thick stuff and shot the first one of the season. I was amazed at the drumming.

I'll be taking the shorthair down near Worthington in two weeks to hunt with the family, sounds like the farmers are giving the corn heck down there. My cousins went out on Sat. and Sunday and ended up with 6 birds for 3 on Sat. and 7 for 5 on Sun. Hopefully a lot of corn will have deminished by the time I get there!

Went out for the last couple of hours on Sunday (had to work the rest of the weekend). One person and one 8 1/2 month old lab. We flushed 3 birds of which the last one wast a rooster. It took two shots but he went down. First pheasant for the new pup!

Got 5 yesterday afternoon in ND, put up 5 roosters and lots and lots of hens. 3 guys, no dogs, 3 hours of hunting. Pretty good for us, we were happy. One of the roosters and 32" tail feathers, darn near 3/4" spurs. Bringing that one to the taxidermist. Lots and lots of corn up here too, hope it gets out quick, saw many birds on the road gathering gravel, but they ran right into the corn b4 we could even get out of the truck. Oh well, its huntin right??

Hunted western MN in a.m. with 4 guys and 4 dogs. Saw 4 roosters, 10 hens, 4 partridge. Knocked down 2 roosters in one flush one dead and one ran into the corn and was gone. Split up and hunted two more spots solo with my lab, kicked up 4 hens and two roosters, dropped both of them! Enjoyed some crockpot pheasant on Sunday!

Hunted near Bensen & Madison in West MN. Eight guys 5 dogs on Sat. only 2 roosters bagged and a few hens flushed. Sunday a few birds flushed wild and that was it. A really slow weekend for as hard as we hunted. A lot of corn still standing. Hopefully the hunt gets better as the crops get cleared.

Saturday a.m., Hayfield area, 2 guys + 2 dogs, hunted until noon: Flushed one lonely hen at our 1st spot. Then hit another spot with better cover and standing corn near by = flushed 3 & bagged 2.

Went out on a solo mission with the dog Sunday evening. After finally connecting with a land owner, I was able to get on to a spot that I've been eye-balling for some time. Walked in at 5:15 and had my 2 in 20 minutes. Flushed 5 roosters in very short order - most were very young & hadrly had their colors.

Me and the dog went on a solo mission on Saturday after my buddy backed out at the last minute. Had my two roosters within 45 minutes. Lot's of standing corn and beans (SW MN) but they're working on it.

Got out with a good friend for the weekend in West central. Saw quite a few birds. Only came home with a couple. Didn't shoot all that great!:( That wind was something. Had some great dogwork on running birds.

Saw a lot of very young birds. Of the small ones I could not identify hen from roosters at all. Hopefully these youngsters will make it through the winter.

Just got back from south of Alex. Hunted Yesterday and this morning. Saw a ton of hens. Bagged 3 yesterday and 1 this morning. I love this time of year.