• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Your favorite gun, your fanciest gun

gspman

Hey,
Many of us have multiple guns in the arsenal.
What's your favorite "go-to" gun for the uplands and tell us about your fancy ones?

Go to gun:
Beretta AL391 12ga. For some reason I shoot like **** with it. I'm too stubborn to give up on it though. It's not the gun, it's me. I have a bad habit of floating the bird well above the barrel and usually shoot low with it. Practice, practice, practice.

Fancy gun(s):
Beretta 687 20ga O/U - I was a pheasant killing machine with this gun. Haven't used it for a couple of years though.
AyA #2 12ga SxS - Double triggers, English grip, splinter forend, color case hardened, 6.5 lbs. I shoot pretty good with this one too.

Go to gun is the Winchester 1200 12 Ga.

The fanciest is a British Arms 14 Ga single shot lever action. Don't know how well it shoots, they don't make shells for this any more.

Hey Strat-O-Caster, How's life on the Big Lake treating you?

Danny

[This message has been edited by danny berg (edited 09-22-2004).]

It is actually a 1930's replica of a 1914 gun. They were used in India mostly, from what I have found out about the gun

Ok, so I was wrong about the dates of this gun, here is what ATF had to say about this gun:
"The submitted sample is chambered for a special Greener 14-gauge shotgun shell having a head diameter of .782 and a chamber length of 2 7/8. Because this Martini-Greener shotgun is a replica of a fire arm made in or before 1898 and the ammunition is not available in the US, the Martini-Greener 14 gauge shot gun is defined as an Antique Firearm."

Now I need to dig thru all my paperwork to see if the replica was made in 1914 or the 1930's. Somehow those dates are sticking in my brain, and it will bother me until I find the paperwork and know for sure.

Danny

fav shot gun is my Beretta A303 auto. It always has fit me and I can shoot well with it. Got it after I got my first and best dog. Still have the gun... the dog is just watching from above.

Fanciest gun I would say is the Browning 12 ga. semi-auto 2 shot. It is the black dragon model from Belgium. Only auto that is legal to shoot there because it is only a 2 shot.

favorite gun:

Remington 870 (I have the upland camo, with synthetic stock, & a sling.) My friends talk about my "ugly" gun, but I like it.

I don't have a fancy gun, too cheap to have much of a collection. If it works to shoot game with, I'm happy with it.

Favorite would have to be my sweet little Rem 1100 20-LT with the big barb wire gouge on the stock. Fanciest would have to be the Benelli M2 I just bought because it's the most I have ever payed for a gun. My Ruger bolt 06 with Leopold scope is the prettiest. The old winchester 94 my dad gave me is probably the neatest.

Go to gun- Remington 870 exspress, refinished it, only gun I can hit stuff with, looks more like a wingmaster than an exspress now.

Fanciest- Well its not fancy but I like it, a remington 1100 semi-auto, 30 inch barrel, full choke goose gun. I only use it now when im shooting bismuth or kent matrix witch I barley do.

I have been hunting two years now and I would have to say between my ruger .22 and my 870 express the 870 is my baby. That is until I get one of those double barrels. Those things are expensive. Anybody have a suggestion on which double barrels I should look into if I was gonna buy one.

Neither one is really "better" than the other. People do tend to get religious about the sxs vs. o/u debate though. Generally o/u's are cheaper and easier to build, easier to regulate, they are more popular overall, maybe a little more versatile, and they are easier to find as almost any gun store will carry a few. Even Walmart has them.

Stick with the major brands (Beretta, Browning, Ruger, SKB/Weatherby, etc...). You'll have a better chance of finding parts and a gunsmith to fix it if it breaks. I'd advise against getting a cheap one or an off brand. If you do alot of shooting you may regret it. If/when it breaks you may have a hard time finding parts or a gunsmith that can fix it. Find one that fits you for the kind of shooting you usually do and buy it.

Good luck.
gspman

I myself prefer functionality over looks and have never understood why you would want to have an o/u or side by side limiting you to 2 shots and having to carry the extra weight of the second barrel??? For the price of a fair quality o/u you could buy a Benelli M1 field, lightweight, fast shooting, reliable, not that great to look at but personnally I'd rather have the couple extra shots than to just sit there and watch the birds fly away. I think the o/u's and side by sides would be nice for trap and skeet since you can have 2 separates chokes, but for hunting I would much rather be shooting a good semi-auto.

My pair of SxS 8ga shotguns.

I still shoot them regularly for trap, skeet, SC, and upland game.

PJ