• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse Recipes?

MikeYager - Suzuki

I can almost taste that first Grouse dinner, hopefully on Tue? I know there are many ways to cook them and wonder what others favorite method is. Personally the first couple times, and especially with young birds, I just flour the breast filets and fry in 1/2 oil 1/2 marg. High heat at first to brown both sides then a slow simmer to cook. I love that full flavored approach. Any other simple and delicious favorites out there?

Marinade in Italian dressing over night (stab the breast with a fork first) then grill them.

Otherwise after the marinade step, bread them in Italian shorelunch and drop them in the turkey fryer, around 325 for about 7-10 minutes, keep the heat a bit lower and cook them slower to make sure they get done all the way through.

I like 'em coated in seasoned flour and then fried in a pan with a bunch of onions. Sauted onions over a grouse breast. mmmmmmm.

I slice up an onion, and put slices over the breast, then carefully wrap with bacon, and hold the bacon in place with toothpicks. Place in a tightly covered roaster, and bake. About 45 minutes to an hour at 350.
Serve on a bed of wild rice.

I save the legs in the freezer, and when I have enough, they go into Soup Starter chicken flavor soup. Nothing like a little 8 shot to add some flavor to the soup.

A couple good ones:

this one is easy. put the breasts in a slow cooker/crockpot, with either cream of mushroom or cream of chicked soup and cook on low all day. they stay moist and are very tasty.

Another one, fillet the breasts off of the breast bone. put a couple spoon fulls of your favorite thanksgiving stuffing (not too far away, mmmmm) between the two breasts. wrap the the stuffing filled breast with a strip or two of bacon, held in place with toothpicks and bake in the oven. Very good!!!!

I use them in Jambalaya! Pheasant, grouse, sharpie, Huns, ducks too. It is good and easy to make up. Kind of like cleaning out the fridge but you eat a good hot meal!

Rice, shrimp, birds, sausage, tomatoe, onion, pepper and whatever else you have. Use chicken stock for the water/liquid for the rice. All in one pot and just go for it. Brown the meat first and then add the veggies. Then add the tomaote stuff and stock them the rice and throw it in the oven or on the stove top covered until done.

Breast and cut into strips or chunks, bread with shore lunch or some type of breading, and deep fry. Not real healthy, but good.

------------------
Why did'nt Noah swat those two mosquitos?

Gary

I will post the jambalaya recipe, the official version, tomorrow. It is an easy one pot meal for a crew.

Swamp Scooter,
I love Jambalaya but have never made a good batch. Even though your recipe seems fairly easy, would'ya mind going into more detail? You could email me if you don't want to post it.
phillip underscore sengchanh at silent knight dot com

Thanks

I coat in floor and fry in plenty of butter. Add heavy cream and simmer. Serve on rice. Hard part is getting the birds.

Just tried a recipe last night that is really good and simple. Used grouse but works the same with pheasants. De-bone meat, coat with flour and brown using med heat in oil. Pre-heat oven to 350. Place browned meat in casarole dish and cover the meat half way with a mixture of half cream of chicken soup and half white wine. The top of the meat should be above liquid. I just used the soup can to measure. I also spooned some on top of meat. Bake for 1 hour. WOW.

I use this for grouse and ducks and even the people who "don't like wild game" love it. It's very simple. Just wrap the breasts with bacon, pop on the grill, and season with Lawrys salt. We never bring any ducks home from opening day cause they all get gobbled up.

I am going to try grouse fajita's this year at grouse camp. I have done it with chicken before and plan to do the same with grouse.

First I boil the meat (on the bone) with chicken bulion (for grouse will probably use 4 or 5 bulion cubes).

While the meat is boiling I will sautee garlic and onions in butter in a large pan.

Once the meat is falling off the bone I will remove it from the stock and shred it into the pan with the garlic/onions. I begin to simmer this on medium/low heat gradually adding the stock one ladle at a time. The stock moistens the chicken/grouse very well. Once I have added a couple ladles of stock I will add a pack or two (depending on the amount of meat) of dry fajita or taco mix. I also add my own spices and/or franks hot sauce. Stirr in several ladles of stock. The stock and meat almost become one in a juicy mess. You are ready to serve with your favorite soft/or hard tortias and fixens.